Muirfield Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
MrMoggie

Muirfield Beta

Post by MrMoggie »

I have uploaded a beta version of Muirfield as suggested by Pete (pmgolf)

No pano and no 3D objects (other than the wall which runs along some of course boundary)

There no hole previews yet and only two pins per green at the moment.

From the back tees it should play the exact yardage from the 2013 Open won by Phil Mickelson at 7,245.

For a tougher modern-day challenge the ladies tees are set up longer and it will play 7,526 yards.

This is my first finished course and I am indebted to Stewart Parker for the use of his links course textures.

All constructive criticism, tips and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Steve
pmgolf

Re: Muirfield Beta

Post by pmgolf »

That's great, Steve! I can't wait to play the course that Nicklaus once called his favorite!

Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

Had a message come up, can't be downloaded securely
Pete

Post by Pete »

Others the same which i had already downloaded so downloaded it & i have to say for a first course a brilliant effort
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Checked it out, very much looking forward to the final version :smile:

Only have one real concern that I think needs to be addressed - seamblend textures have had their properties scrambled up, which is most likely a result of the course being saved at some point while the panorama was turned on in your APCD Perspective or Game Cam views. For example there is lava between fairways and rough which will for sure cause some crazy and out of place bounces. Fixing it isnt too troublesome, but you will need to go into the texture properties of all seamblend textures and put the "Seam Blend Terrain Properties" back to how they are supposed to be. Then after that, successfully save the course with the panorama turned off in the APCD views, close APCD successfully without a crash, and making sure not to save the course in the future with the panorama turned on in the views.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Caused me to have to take a drop on right edge of third fairway & on bunker edge 2nd bunker below 2 fairway bunkers on the tenth
MrMoggie

Post by MrMoggie »

Thanks, guys

Yes, sorry, it seems some of the seams have become scrambled spotted by Adelade and Pete and I will fix that.

There are others than spotted, including around the bunker lips

Annoying, not enough attention to detail by me

Steve
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

It looks like the outside seam blend for a bunker and the rough seam blend. It shows "Lava" and "Pine Needles". Probably the properties.

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I didn't notice any of the problems mentioned, I guess I didn't hit into those areas. From my point of view (and I admit I'm not a links fan), it looks good and I observed no technical problems. As mentioned in another thread (a poll on who prefers real or created courses), sometimes the features of a real course don't challenge the player in Links 2003. An example would be on the 8th hole where there is an upside-down L-shaped bunker well out of range of a drive, with three other bunkers nearby, and then your approach shot has no possibility of landing in any of those bunkers unless you've drunk too many Guinnesses. The greens seem "unexciting". But that's the reality of doing a real course, and changing it to accommodate video game play makes the course "unreal". All in all, job well done, and with the course being so flat, one hardly notices the lack of a pano.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Steve-I just had a chance to download it and will try to nitpick later this week. :laugh:

:rofl:
Last edited by Jimbo on December 15th, 2020, 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.