Muirfield Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Muirfield Beta

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo wrote: September 30th, 2020, 4:21 am Hi Steve-I just had a chance to download it and will try to nitpick later this week. :laugh:
Hi Steve-sorry to be so long doing my nit-pick. I'll PM you by Friday-promise (threat! :rant: ) :smile:
But if you know me, there's one thing I'm looking for right now! :nono:

The club is historic but, given the otherwise pretty "open", "plain" nature of the course my first suggestion (seriously) would be to add those buildings along the south side (the first and tenth holes and 18th green, starting with the clubhouse). Trust me, it will more than pay for itself!
MrMoggie

Post by MrMoggie »

Thanks, Jimbo

Yes, it's not the prettiest course

My problem with the buildings - the clubhouse and the Greywalls hotel - is that I'm worse with 3D buildings than I am at course design!

Steve
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I agree with you Steve. Buildings don't matter to me - what I want is to play Muirfield! How about releasing Muirfield as a Beta? Eye candy can be added later!

Pete
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Aside from my comments about the buildings (or lack there of) :scared: I'm checking the course against things like Google Earth and the club site (hence the nick name "nit picker) and so far you've pretty well nailed it. :thumbup: I'll PM you-probably later today or tomorrow.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Steve-if you send me a PM with your e-mail address then I'll send you an Excel file and a Word file with my comments-trust me, you've pretty much "nailed" this one...not much "nit" to "pick" but there is something that you should see. I can only send files via the main board so I figured that it would be best to show you in private.
MrMoggie

Post by MrMoggie »

Jimbo

Thanks very much for looking it over

I've sent you a PM with my email address

Steve
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I missed the Beta release - my attention was focused on finishing up a course in the APCD. I played a round at Muirfield using B Mc Fc. Deep Rough was suitable punishing, although I only got in it once. :smile:

It shows great promise, even at this early stage. Wind seems needed to make the course shine, but I really liked all the textures used - especially the high grass. Very atmospheric. Reasonably challenging putting. I'll probably play it for fun without a grid, just to immerse myself in it, in addition to playing it in tournament play. If the finishing stays at this level I think it will fit right in with St. Andrews Old Course HD and Royal Troon HD. When I get the time I'll try it at Fc Fc! :thumbup:

Pete
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

...and if they'd only let women play they could host The Open again!
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

:laugh:
Jimbo wrote: October 17th, 2020, 11:04 pm ...and if they'd only let women play they could host The Open again!
:laugh:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Chuck-it's really not funny-they're screwing themselves (as well as golf fans) for the sake of an ancient custom.