Accurate Greens

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
doclawler

Accurate Greens

Post by doclawler »

Just re-reading through a whole host of posts regarding Strackaline or similar 'official' green contour maps/booklets that have been used to create green elevations for real courses in Links. But, it's a little difficult to get a full idea of which courses have been released with the accurate greens and which are still in design phase and/or being updated. Is there any way we can get a list started of the courses that have been released with accurate greens using these booklets?

Updated with list of courses:
Pebble Beach 2004
Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands
Glen Abbey
East Lake
Liberty National
Baltusrol
Cherry Hills
PGA National
Bay Hill
Firestone
Valhalla
Royal Montreal
Merion East 2013
TPC Louisiana
Innisbrook Copperhead
TPC Blue Monster at Doral
TPC Boston
TPC Deere Run
St George's G&CC
Wade Hampton

Partial:
Colonial
Last edited by doclawler on July 19th, 2021, 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dorse72

Re: Accurate Greens

Post by dorse72 »

Colonial 2020 has 3 greens I think that are IRL contoured to 2" accuracy.

Winged Foot West, will have Stackalined contours when it is released. I have others but will wait till they get closer to being released next year.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Most of my courses, my own releases as well as co-designs do. Off the top of my head the only course I released that did not have the actual greens were Plainfield and Bro Hof Slot
Kevin Fraser

Post by Kevin Fraser »

Chuck Clark's Pebble Beach as done with 2" topo maps
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry
doclawler

Post by doclawler »

Updated initial post with listing of courses. If any additional comments are made adding more courses, I can update.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I am considering whether I will buy the strakaline book for the course I'm working on at the moment. It's a Melbourne course, privately owned and it's pretty difficult to even get in the gates let alone play it if you aren't invited and have a lot of money. It's called "Capital", and is just down the road from the more well known Kingston Heath.

I can get fairly accurate layout from Google earth overlay in APCD as well as pictures that I have assembled from various sources. But Im wondering, is it worth me spending $97 and trying to learn how to interpret the strakaline book for greens that probably nobody that plays links2K will ever play in real life? And yes, I have checked and strakaline do have the books for this course.

So I'm interested to know, how does the average links player, if there is such a thing, feel about green accuracy. Does it really add to the enjoyment of a round? Or is it one of those things that maybe nice to have but no big deal either way?

Cheers, AJ
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I believe there are 3 sources for green books, AJ. Strakaline is the most expensive option, but may be the closest to worldwide. I have Strakaline books for 3 courses, but a GolfLogix book for another. Books from any of the 3 companies would probably make your course better, but if you can spend less it makes sense to do it.

Pete
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

pmgolf wrote: September 24th, 2020, 10:25 pm I believe there are 3 sources for green books, AJ. Strakaline is the most expensive option, but may be the closest to worldwide. I have Strakaline books for 3 courses, but a GolfLogix book for another. Books from any of the 3 companies would probably make your course better, but if you can spend less it makes sense to do it.

Pete
Looks like Strakaline is the only one to have this course. Well, it will be a few months before course is anywhere near ready, so guess I have plenty of time to think about it. I probably will get it, as I'm pretty hopeful that this will turn out to be a really nice looking course, be good to get it as accurate as I can. Here's a screenshot of one of the teeboxes... only started building it a few days ago so planting is a bit rough around the edges.

Cheers, AJ :cheers1:
Attachments
capital.jpg
capital.jpg (221.94 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: September 25th, 2020, 12:26 am
pmgolf wrote: September 24th, 2020, 10:25 pm I believe there are 3 sources for green books, AJ. Strakaline is the most expensive option, but may be the closest to worldwide. I have Strakaline books for 3 courses, but a GolfLogix book for another. Books from any of the 3 companies would probably make your course better, but if you can spend less it makes sense to do it.

Pete
Looks like Strakaline is the only one to have this course. Well, it will be a few months before course is anywhere near ready, so guess I have plenty of time to think about it. I probably will get it, as I'm pretty hopeful that this will turn out to be a really nice looking course, be good to get it as accurate as I can. Here's a screenshot of one of the teeboxes... only started building it a few days ago so planting is a bit rough around the edges.

Cheers, AJ :cheers1:
Hi AJ. The StrackaLine greens contour booklets are only 47 U.S. dollars. That's all you will need.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=620

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

AJ Allen says:
"So I'm interested to know, how does the average links player, if there is such a thing, feel about green accuracy. Does it really add to the enjoyment of a round? Or is it one of those things that maybe nice to have but no big deal either way?"

My opinion is that this is the case for most Links players. However, I believe that there should be some way set up so the designer shouldn't have to foot the bill for strakaline by his or her self. I feel many would be willing to chip in to a "pot" for such purposes. How that can be set up is something for the administrators to work out. :dunno: