Accurate Greens

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
pmgolf

Re: Accurate Greens

Post by pmgolf »

AJ, if you play golf at a course that has a rock wall in front of a golfer that is teeing off - even if it is at the back of the tee in front of you, please make sure that your golfers are offered a stiff drink before they tee off - that tee shot may be their last! :rofl:
s_2081.jpg
s_2081.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Pete
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Yes, drinks will be supplied. I have a drinks cart :cheers1: Actually, the tee boxes are surrounded by clipped luna hedges that are 4' tall. Just thought I would see what a rock wall looked like, though it is only 2.5' tall, 4' seems a bit imposing to me. Probably use the 3d hedges in APCD as they are a very close match to what's actually there. Sorry for taking the thread off topic, I will stop posting now! :oops:

Cheers, AJ
doclawler

Post by doclawler »

First post updated with a couple additional courses.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Wade Hampton greens are in accordance with GolfLogix book.
Ian
doclawler

Post by doclawler »

Thanks. I was thinking I had that one on there already, but obviously not. First post is updated again.
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

I Can`t even imagine the work that goes into designing a course - let alone have perfect green contours and pin placements. To each his own - for me it does not have to be perfect, I`m just happy to play a good course. Would this prevent others from designing a course if they feel it has to be exact? Just my thoughts? Ok Got my asbestos suit on . Flame away! Just a big thank you for all the great designers out there. THANK YOU! :thumbup:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

PinHi wrote: July 19th, 2021, 9:44 pm I Can`t even imagine the work that goes into designing a course - let alone have perfect green contours and pin placements. To each his own - for me it does not have to be perfect, I`m just happy to play a good course. Would this prevent others from designing a course if they feel it has to be exact? Just my thoughts? Ok Got my asbestos suit on . Flame away! Just a big thank you for all the great designers out there. THANK YOU! :thumbup:
I just posted for Royal St. Georges topic, that is if greens there were done to real elevation height---would this certain course on a land plot made up of random mounds and random hollows with same description for greens possibly be playable in Links.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

PinHi wrote: July 19th, 2021, 9:44 pm I Can`t even imagine the work that goes into designing a course - let alone have perfect green contours and pin placements. To each his own - for me it does not have to be perfect, I`m just happy to play a good course. Would this prevent others from designing a course if they feel it has to be exact? Just my thoughts? Ok Got my asbestos suit on . Flame away! Just a big thank you for all the great designers out there. THANK YOU! :thumbup:
It is a lot of work and if I'm going to put that much work into a real design it's going to be as close as I can get it to the real thing. From DEM data to green contours, I want you as a linkster to play something you may never be able to play in real life.

Glenn :cheers1:
doclawler

Post by doclawler »

The intent of this thread certainly isn't to disparage any courses that don't use real green contours. I just thought that using actual greens books in Links is an interesting concept, and so far I really enjoy playing through the courses that have used Strackaline or similar. It does seem to add a little something special to the course, and at least in my mind the greens are the most important aspect of the game of golf, so having something accurate helps push a course up a notch or 2 in my book. But there are certainly many many courses in the game that don't have 100% accurate greens that are still a joy to play.

Long story short, my intention in creating the thread was just as a repository of sorts to keep track of courses that have accurate green contours.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

gene_golf wrote: July 19th, 2021, 10:19 pmI just posted for Royal St. Georges topic, that is if greens there were done to real elevation height---would this certain course on a land plot made up of random mounds and random hollows with same description for greens possibly be playable in Links.
I am 110% certain that the fully accurate real greens for any golf course in the whole world would be comfortably playable in Links, you just need the designer to put the pins in the right places for greens that are of the toughest sort.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...