Wade Hampton GC 2020

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Re: Wade Hampton GC 2020

Post by Ian Wells »

dgrobo2000
I am pleased that you have enjoyed playing Wade Hampton 2020.
The floating conifer on the 6th was known to me and has evaded all my attempts to remove it. (Unfortunately this is related to my decision to incorporate the mountains as part of the course. However I still think it was the best decision.)
The floating houses are only seen from certain angles and are therefore very difficult to notice during testing.
As for the tee positions, I can only say that the golfer is responsible for placing the ball and if the golfer plays the ball in front of the tees he should take a penalty. :whistle: (You are able to manually position the ball on the tee by moving the curser over the ball and dragging it to a position behind the tees.) But, yes I missed it. :oops:
The issues that you mention I have taken note of, and should I update the course I will attempt to address your concerns.
I thank you for your complimentary comment, and I hope you continue to enjoy playing the course.
Ian
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Very nice course. You really have to pay attention to the landing zone on your drives, they are very narrow. And most of the greens have a big slope right in front of them, so you need to hit a bit harder than you'd prefer, followed by a longer putt than usual.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thanks for your comments I'm happy you enjoyed it.
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I somewhat regret to make this post as I have great respect for you as a designer Ian and know you must have spent a lot of time updating this course, but after having a look at it I must admit Im rather torn about whether to overwrite the 2018 version with this update or not. The real greenslopes are certainly nice and seem to bring more interesting challenges to the course (10th green indeed doesnt leave many options for pins that make my usual cut for acceptable pins but there are at least was one or two so thats fine enough by me), but I found the 2018 version a lot cleaner overall so to speak, the update has some small things here and there that together leaves the course with a sort of jarring feeling to me, Im sad to say.

-The downright flying tree on 6th for example as mentioned before indeed stands out quite a bit from the back tees - Im curious what makes you say it cannot possibly be removed? (if I understood that correctly)
-Lumpy or somewhat unnatural elevations here and there around the greens, as is sort of understandable after having modified greens, but all the same leaves the 2018 version feeling much cleaner to me.
-The tee markers also mentioned before cant really be solved by moving the ball around on tee, but sure, hardly a major issue, just looks a bit strange. The spots I saw it on (for back tees) were holes 1, 11, 16 and maybe 9.
-A distinct and odd mesh shadow on the fairway of hole 7, some 30 yards short & right of the green.
-Broken/missing seamblends around the greens here and there, for example the rough border around 9th green and the fringe or fairway short of 2nd green. (On second look, it appears those were issues in the 2018 version too, I suppose my attention was drawn more towards them with the modified greensides)
-I will agree that the house on 12th looks out of place when seen (with a normal angle) from some of the tees, although I may not have spotted it on my own without someone else bringing it up.

I dont really mean to complain, I dont mind sticking to the 2018 version which I love a lot (although that seems a shame when you went through the trouble of updating it), maybe I should just have stayed quiet but I dont like going that route, I prefer honesty and hope you dont take offense.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Thank you for your comments, and I am not offended in the least.

Below is a screen shot of Hole 6 in APCD and you can clearly see that the LINKS rendition is not a true reflection of what is in APCD. LINKS has some limitation on how far it will render (somewhere around 1200 yards). In this instance LINKS has rendered the floating tree, which according to my estimate is more than 1400 yards from the tee. It is not a simple case of deleting all those trees because the trees are also viewed on holes much closer and LINKS renders all the trees. Obviously if I could identify which tree it is I could delete it and it wouldn't be noticed on the other holes. There are approximately 70-100 tress in the area and to go through and deleting one tree and then V&S, opening LINKS, importing the course etc. is not an option.
I will have one more attempt to trace the tree, but no promises.
Hole 6.jpg
Hole 6.jpg (180.26 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
screen Hole6.jpg
screen Hole6.jpg (237.53 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
I am unsure what you mean about "lumpy elevations around the greens"? The only work I did on these areas was adjust some elevations where needed because of the Golflogix detail. When the contour details of the surrounding area were shown, I incorporated those details, and this may be what you are noticing. If you have time and could give some details I will look at it?

All tee markers will be changed.

The mesh in front of green 7 will be fixed.

I will fix the broken seam blends.

The floating houses on the 12th and 13th will be anchored to the terrain.

If you, or anybody else has any further comments please give them. How I go about re-issuing I am uncertain.

Thanks again for your comments.

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thats interesting, I dont yet have enough experience with APCD to even guess at what might cause a tree to float like that in Links but not in APCD even after a V&S. Perhaps trying to identify the object from its looks and doing a box select all of type might help finding it.

I tried to find some screenshot examples of the lumpy or somewhat unnatural elevations I mentioned, I suppose calling them unnatural would be a stretch, just a bit artificial mostly, as if the bulldozer or landscaping guys were fighting a tight deadline. Found some examples where it stuck out to me particularly though, hole numbers top left.
Attachments
WH18.jpg
WH18.jpg (555.84 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
WH17.jpg
WH17.jpg (433.08 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
WH16.jpg
WH16.jpg (530.54 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
WH14.jpg
WH14.jpg (443.04 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade, dgrobo 2000 and all players of Wade Hampton,
Adelade and dgrobo 2000, thanks for the comments and I apologise for the delayed response.(For some reason my good lady decided that APCD was not the "be all and end all" of my life :rules: )

I have been trying to remedy the issues you have raised:

The floating houses on the 12th and 13th have been anchored.
All tee markers are in front of the player. (Unforgivable mistake) :rant:

The screenshots you posted have been - I hope - rectified, see below and please comment.
screen0035.jpg
screen0035.jpg (380.93 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
screen0036.jpg
screen0036.jpg (401.6 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
screen0037.jpg
screen0037.jpg (365.94 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
screen0038.jpg
screen0038.jpg (387.74 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
I have attempted to rid the course of the floating tree on the 6th and this is what I have at present. It is not what I would like, but is this acceptable - and I never thought I would ask that question? :rant:

screen0039.jpg
screen0039.jpg (430.45 KiB) Viewed 3275 times

I will wait for one week and if there are no further comments I will re-issue as Wade Hampton 2021 - unless anybody has any objections.

Ian
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Take your time Ian.

I won't be adding any courses until I get back home about the 22nd October. :smile:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Andy,
Bon voyage
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

:cheers1: Very grateful for all your efforts with this course