Winged Foot West - US Open 2020

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Winged Foot West - US Open 2020

Post by gene_golf »

I forget who created texture US Open rough here in Links, but just curious if this version of Winged Foot will have a similar height and difficulty of rough that embarrassed golfers at the 74 US Open?
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I just looked at the course photos they put up on pgatour.com and those have to be the toughest greens I've ever seen.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

up till 2am last night ironing out kinks, just too tired to plant sorry. planting today, hoping for a crash free day.

WFW will be rough, but there will be a course tomorrow morning I can promise. more details tomorrow..
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

gene_golf wrote: September 15th, 2020, 11:20 pm I forget who created texture US Open rough here in Links, but just curious if this version of Winged Foot will have a similar height and difficulty of rough that embarrassed golfers at the 74 US Open?
I just read that the rough is currently 12" deep in places. I wonder if they'll trim it back a little.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/09/16 ... -foot.html
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

that is nutz! I just played a few holes and I can't get the course to play like the IRL WFW. ball doesn't roll off front edges and down slopes on green, frustrating. maybe I switch to Links 1.07 to modify properties?? even firm/fast doesn't do it justice

but right now I can't get a tree planted without it crashing - here is where I'm at -

all 18 holes are about 95% - they need elevation tweaks, but Rospen's elevations were pretty good. they are seam blended, have all new custom textures made by me from a private club here in Dallas - very private Brook Hollow GC where I used to work. bunkers 99% done, maybe a little too deep and lips too large scaled, but I can adjust later. I spent alot of time on the bunkers, they are almost exact in shape, and I like the textures.

greens are 100% Strackalined to 2" mark, took about 2 weeks to do. I did this back in May, then took a break to work on Colonial with Dan D.

no planting whatsoever, but Winged Foot has just trees, no grass or anything else really. just bushes and flowers around the clubhouse

clubhouse is maybe 50% - the building is built up exactly, good rock texture in place, roof texture looks good, but no details like doors, windows, trim, etc.

12 pins thrown on very quickly, 5 sets of tees - 7600 - 6800 yds i think.

I made 2 splash screens, custom flag, used Merion Pano, and was trying to do USGA hole signs.

If I can get something worked out, i will literally throw down trees individually as fast as I can and upload it tomorrow, it won't be beta-tested however. Thats all I got, sorry I don't have better news.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

dorse72 wrote: September 16th, 2020, 5:26 pm ...WFW will be rough, but there will be a course tomorrow morning I can promise. more details tomorrow..
well I lied sorry, I'm stuck on planting, hitting the sack, have been up past midnight for about 2 weeks now, drained. Even switched to my daughter's new Dell Latitude laptop, brand new APCD, no history, still freezes when i click display 2D's in the perspective or top view, just strange.

One time I got to plant 5 trees, but now it won't even go there. not sure what else to do, can't plant trees. thats where I'm at, sorry I can't get this great course out tomorrow. I'll keep trying tomorrow morning
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I feel a lot of sympathy as I have had similar issues, though never that bad. While I'm no expert on objects getting corrupted I can at least tell you what I would do if I was in your place.

First, I would open the course in Links Extender, and extract all the 2D objects. Just the biggest size of each. There is usually 3-4 sizes of each tree and bush, and the first in the list is the biggest.

Then in APCD I would create a brand new planting set and import the extracted objects. Maybe just import a few of one type for a start, and check to see if I could plant without getting crashes. If I could, then I would add more to my set and check again.

Whether that's the right way to go about isolating corrupt objects I'm not certain, but its what I would do. I would also look at doing what Lez told me to do for a corrupted terrain texture list. And that was to remove my user lib and restart links so a new one gets generated. Whether that would make a difference I'm not sure, but I don't suppose it will do any harm. In fact I would probably do that first as it's quick and easy to do compared to creating new planting set. I'm a bit doubtful that will do any good though, as you said you still had the planting issue even on fresh install of APCD.

Cheers, AJ
GoesForIt

Post by GoesForIt »

Clearly a case of closing the barn door after the horses have escaped, but I learned early on to save files often and sequentially (ex: course-1.crz, course-2.crz, course-3.crz, etc.). I usually click on "Save" then click on "Save as..." (ex: course.crz, then course-<seq#>.crz).

If I had a catastrophe, I could go back sequentially until I hit a course that was good. It often means a lot of redos (depending on how far you have to go back) but better than a total blitz.

Hope you can correct and go forward it looks like a beautiful course.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I have used that method for 15 years now, that method did not help in this case. That method helps if you get a corrupt file, then you can turn to a back up. I save on a 4 course rotation, going through each name every time I open and work on a course, AND use a different course when opening in Links.

Winged Foot seemed to of been corrupted from the very start and I didn't playtest it, still not sure what is going on. Thought I had it figured out when I switched to another laptop, but even that one and my powerful iMac Pro running Windows Parrallels isn't letting 2D objects display on the APCD. Whenever I turn on 2D's, APCD freezes.
GoesForIt

Post by GoesForIt »

dorse72 wrote: September 18th, 2020, 7:58 pm I have used that method for 15 years now, that method did not help in this case. That method helps if you get a corrupt file, then you can turn to a back up. I save on a 4 course rotation, going through each name every time I open and work on a course, AND use a different course when opening in Links.

Winged Foot seemed to of been corrupted from the very start and I didn't playtest it, still not sure what is going on. Thought I had it figured out when I switched to another laptop, but even that one and my powerful iMac Pro running Windows Parrallels isn't letting 2D objects display on the APCD. Whenever I turn on 2D's, APCD freezes.
I figured as many nice courses as you've created that you did. Keep working on it. If not this year, it will be used in the future. Good luck.