Winged Foot West - US Open 2020

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Re: Winged Foot West - US Open 2020

Post by braden1308 »

Those are pictures of the real course
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

braden1308 wrote: September 7th, 2020, 4:20 am Those are pictures of the real course
I thought they were as I could see things like the tyre tracks in the grass, which I doubt could be replicated like that in APCD. But still think the course looks amazing, I have never seen it before or played a round on it in Links. So yeah, pics look amazing (to me) and looking forward to a round when it's completed.

Cheers, AJ
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

#9, Meadow, par 5, 565yds, this is a birdie chance, one of the few on the course realistically, another crazy green though, HEY, Tillinghast did it, not me! :surrender: Be very cool to putt these exact breaks and swales - everyone better be setting the settings to fastest ;)
beautiful clubhouse in the background. mine won't be that beautiful however, just a quick version up, will have to finish it off later - takes way too much time - maybe ask help on that from Pete I think it is.

WF9t.jpg
WF9t.jpg (241.56 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
WF9a.jpg
WF9a.jpg (213.72 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
WF9g.jpg
WF9g.jpg (267.43 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

On to the back 9...

#10, Pulpit, par 3, 214 yds, famous par 3, downhill to a perched up green with no where to miss, very sloping green. interesting new feature is the club built a tee box for this hole just 3' next to the clubhouse.
WF10t.jpg
WF10t.jpg (237.39 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
WF10a.jpg
WF10a.jpg (337.19 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
WF10g.jpg
WF10g.jpg (283.37 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

#11, Billows, par 4, 384yds, beautiful par 4, lots of fairway movement
WF11t.jpg
WF11t.jpg (240.51 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
WF11a.jpg
WF11a.jpg (249.93 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
WF11g.jpg
WF11g.jpg (224.26 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
Last edited by dorse72 on September 10th, 2020, 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlynch67

Post by dlynch67 »

Will this course be available as a download before the start of the US Open, Sept. 17 I believe? Hope so, looks like a beautiful course.

Thanks,
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

thats the plan, working late into the night every night till Thursday. Prob won't be 100%, I'm just too much of a perfectionist, but hopefully close. Clubhouse will be rough, hate doing that stuff. Trying to give you guys some of the most amazing bunkers and greens, you can't believe the greens at Winged Foot - I just practiced a few holes for the first time in Links and the greens are incredible.

Should I use the special properties in 1.07? or does that cause problems, never used that before. Would like to get super fast greens and heavy rough per US Open specs.

I've created my own textures for the course too, so hopefully they will show well and give everyone some new looks. Planting will be very quick and no time to nail houses next to course sorry, not even sure about a pano yet.
dlynch67

Post by dlynch67 »

Thanks for your reply. The course looks fantastic thus far. Looking forward to playing it when it's completed! Appreciate your work on this and attention to detail. I'll be looking out for it's completion -
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

these have all been real photos and videos, just giving everyone a good IRL walk-through
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

dorse72 wrote: September 9th, 2020, 4:57 amShould I use the special properties in 1.07? or does that cause problems, never used that before. Would like to get super fast greens and heavy rough per US Open specs.
You can, but it might not be worth the trouble since custom texture properties for greens specifically only work if the player selects to play with course conditions, and Im pretty sure most people never do that. Even if you recommend to people to try it, I think they'd be more inclined to try out one of the faster existing green settings instead.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

dorse72 wrote: September 9th, 2020, 4:57 am thats the plan, working late into the night every night till Thursday. Prob won't be 100%, I'm just too much of a perfectionist, but hopefully close. Clubhouse will be rough, hate doing that stuff. Trying to give you guys some of the most amazing bunkers and greens, you can't believe the greens at Winged Foot - I just practiced a few holes for the first time in Links and the greens are incredible.

Should I use the special properties in 1.07? or does that cause problems, never used that before. Would like to get super fast greens and heavy rough per US Open specs.

I've created my own textures for the course too, so hopefully they will show well and give everyone some new looks. Planting will be very quick and no time to nail houses next to course sorry, not even sure about a pano yet.
I agree with you focusing your attention on the bunkers and greens - the clubhouse can easily be finished after the (US) Open.

Special properties - super fast greens:
Without using special properties, the player is free to set conditions to the max that they can handle - (I prefer Fc Fc, even at Augusta National) - but with special properties used I'm concerned that it might make the course too difficult for some players to play. Would those properties only be enabled when "Course Speed" and "Course Hardness" is chosen, or would they always be enabled? If "always", I would vote "no".

Special properties - super heavy rough:
I'm thinking of Liberty National here, where ball can only be advanced a few yards (10 to 20). Too frustrating for most players. If you're thinking about the average player, heavy rough ought to be enough of a penalty. There will always be players who will choose shorter tees, easy conditions and amateur mode in order to shoot those video-game-like low scores. No matter what you do, you're not going to reach them.

You do great work - I'm really looking forward to playing this! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

PEte