Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands Course

Post by gene_golf »

I checked and saw that all par 5's are around 550 yards, but when the 4 majors have been played there holes #2 and #18 are changed to being 500 yard long par 4's. To get course exactly the same way tournaments are played would necessitate a tournament course being created.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Sorry but I have no plans of doing that right now
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

braden1308 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:44 pm Sorry but I have no plans of doing that right now
No Problem as can use more forward tees to simulate playing holes #2 and #18 as par 4's since do not keep up with my stats or course stats. Hole #18 with lake in front of green just plainly says to lay up second shot playing it as a par 5 since if could get over water there the ball is likely to roll into trouble behind green. If hole were played as par 4 then it is necessary to hit drive in fairway in order to not have a heroic shot from rough as Jerry Pate faced in 1976 US Open where he hit a 5 iron within 3 feet of cup for clinching birdie. I have not checked rough texture to see how much it takes away from shot distance where if played hole as par 4 and drive went into rough there might not be any way to carry water fronting green.
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Thanks for this creation Glenn, I ve just downloaded it and look forward to maybe playing it this weekend! Thanks again for all the great courses you've created for us here at Linkscorner!
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Animal, I hope you enjoy it
dko

Post by dko »

gene_golf wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:08 am
braden1308 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:44 pm Sorry but I have no plans of doing that right now
No Problem as can use more forward tees to simulate playing holes #2 and #18 as par 4's since do not keep up with my stats or course stats. Hole #18 with lake in front of green just plainly says to lay up second shot playing it as a par 5 since if could get over water there the ball is likely to roll into trouble behind green. If hole were played as par 4 then it is necessary to hit drive in fairway in order to not have a heroic shot from rough as Jerry Pate faced in 1976 US Open where he hit a 5 iron within 3 feet of cup for clinching birdie. I have not checked rough texture to see how much it takes away from shot distance where if played hole as par 4 and drive went into rough there might not be any way to carry water fronting green.
Glenn's courses often have difficult rough (as is the case here) so you'd have to play into the fairway as David Toms did in 2001(the hole played around 480 yards then). He made the 12-foot par putt to beat Phil by a stroke. Pate had a nice flier lie from 191 yards in 1976 (hole playing then at 446) and his caddy talked him down from a 4 iron. By the way, Ben Crenshaw tried to play a wood from the rough in that same tournament and hit a line drive into the drink.
Doug