Course not downloading to course file

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: course not downloading to course file

Post by Danny D »

Some of the problems with Links not finding courses sounds strange to me, except for Windows 10. I have never used the course manager to install any courses for Links 2003. Every course I've ever had has been manually pasted into the "Links2003\Courses" folder. Not once have I ever had a problem with the game finding them. That includes every operating system used since Links 2003 came out.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Re: course not downloading to courde file

Post by pmgolf »

Same here, Danny, plus I have 29.7 gb of courses in my Links /Course/ folder. We've come a long way since the old 486 computers and early Pentiums. The desktop PC I use today is probably more powerful than the computers that filled entire rooms years ago!

Pete
Danny D

Re: course not downloading to courde file

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: August 27th, 2020, 2:22 am Same here, Danny, plus I have 29.7 gb of courses in my Links /Course/ folder. We've come a long way since the old 486 computers and early Pentiums. The desktop PC I use today is probably more powerful than the computers that filled entire rooms years ago!

Pete
No doubt more powerful Pete. I've never really heard of having so many courses in the Courses folder that it slowed down the load times, but I suppose if you go back to the old days with 5600 hard drive speeds, and 1 or 2 megs of RAM, there's a possibility it could have taken the computer a little longer to locate and read all of the data. But with our new modern systems that's all done in micro-seconds, and I can't imagine it being an issue. When I was playing everyday, I always had between 300 and 400 courses in my Courses folder. Still do actually. :whistle:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Paul44

Re: Course not downloading to course file

Post by Paul44 »

Using this method I save 12 seconds on Links Loading time every time I load Links, as Links doesn’t need to index every course, every time it loads, courses already indexed.
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Paul, I think you and I have quite an equipment difference. Mine takes 4 seconds and it builds a .SHA shadow file in that time. :smile:

Pete
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

pmgolf,

That may be, but I can only use PC that I have. I can not use yours for example, all I am saying is this method is faster at loading Links from start up, without the indexing being done by Links as it identifies all the Courses in the COURSES folder, at each Links start up.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

pmgolf wrote: August 27th, 2020, 7:16 pm Paul, I think you and I have quite an equipment difference. Mine takes 4 seconds and it builds a .SHA shadow file in that time. :smile:

Pete
Are you referring to the time it takes Links to load, or the time it takes a course to load?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Load up.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Paul44 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 12:40 pmLoad up.
I'm not sure you and Pete are talking about the same process. Unless I'm wrong, which I have been before, .SHA files aren't written until a course is opened.
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Too much discussion about 12 seconds vs. 6 or 8 seconds. It takes longer than that to respond! Do whatever floats your boat!

Pete