Canyon Hills HD

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
ChuckH

Canyon Hills HD

Post by ChuckH »

Thanks for Lez for updating this course. I'm not a big fan of imaginary courses but downloaded the old and new version. What a difference an update makes. What was a good course is now excellent and a pleasure. Hole previews, textures, the works do wonders for this course. Thanks Lez. Sage Vanni is looking for someone to complete Winged Foot East pre beta. Please consider. Besides two I mentioned before, Apple Tree and Desert Canyon, another would be Dove Valley Ranch.
chad

Re: Canyon Hills HD

Post by chad »

Excellent update Lez, thanks!! :cheers1:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Shot my first albatross on #5, so no complaint here! Pretty course, "postcard pretty" one could say. The only thing that struck me as odd are those fairway bunkers that are about eight feet deep, they have a kind of science fiction feel to them :p
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Is there a real place in the world that this course is based on ? I mean i always like to imagine...ok, we're in western wisconsin or by lake michigan in the east, or somewhere in middle france, etc, etc, etc................ :D

Canyon....hm.m.............Colorado Springs?
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Excellent Lez, thanks.
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

@ChuckH - I may work on real courses at some point but they are low on my priority as they offer no scope for creativity. You are basically just re-creating what someone else designed as closely as possible and have no option to make changes if there's something you don't like. I did take a look at Apple Tree but it will need to be completely re-planted because of the poor 2D trees used and there are no better quality versions available, to my knowledge. Dove Valley Ranch would be nice, but according to Ben Bateson's review, suffers from graphical glitches. These are caused by the fact that there are 3 lakes close to each other on different levels. If it was a fictional course I could just alter the terrain to correct it, but as this is not an option for a real course the only other fix I know of would be to make the lakes non-reflective and that IMO would spoil the whole look of the course, so that's off my list at present as well. I haven't checked out Winged Foot yet. There was one real course that I started updating back in 2010, before I started work on my first course, but my APCD skills then were terrible and I gave up on it. I might just return to this one for old times sake though, as I still have the unfinished course on one of my hard drives!! :yes: It was a video that John Aherne made me to help me when I was struggling on this course that inspired me to create my APCD video tutorial series on Youtube later on. :thumbup:

@Duglis - my knowledge of the geography of the USA is poor, but I imagine that it's loosely based on somewhere in the USA. I don't know why some people have a problem playing fictional courses though. All real course designs started out as just that. If an eccentric billionaire started building some of the fictional courses from Links would these same people then want to play them in Links as well? I'm guessing they would, even though the courses would still be exactly the same designs as they are now.... ones that they don't want to play at present because they aren't 'real'!! :dunno:

@all - Glad to hear that a few people are enjoying the course. :tiphat:

It always helps creators, if they know that their work is getting used by the community... it can take a ridiculous amount of hours to produce work on the APCD or other software for Links use, and although it can be an enjoyable hobby, motivation can sometimes wain if published work seemingly goes unnoticed. When I was last here back in 2014 I tried to encourage players to leave feedback for course designers, but even then, when the community was much larger than it is now it was difficult to get a response from most of the people frequenting the forum. It seems to me like it's getting even harder now....On the 12th Aug for example, I asked on the LSPN forum for recommendations for 2001 courses I could update, and I have still received zero replies to my posts there. Because of this I doubt that I'll even waste time posting at LSPN again. :yawn:

As I've stated in the past, it was just one comment on my Youtube channel that led me to returning to Links Corner, so, to anyone who lurks around this forum silently.... consider posting if you've enjoyed a course, sky, clubset, soundscript, or anything else from this forum that people have created to make your game more enjoyable, and consider donating to cover the site costs too, and lets keep this great game alive. :cheers1:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Lez

We will be using Zeitsbergen on the European Tour at LSPN this week. Using it for the Omega European Masters, which was the European Tour event this week before covid raised it's ugly head :mad:
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

Lez
Great choice for an update in The Bluffs of Ocean Point. It is remindful of your course Anakena Beach which is really good and fun to play.
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Lez I have been guilty over the years of not expressing my thanks as much as I should. But believe me I am very thankful for all contributions of courses,skies and panoramas. Over the years I have come here very day to read most of the post , been saddened when losing a member of the community. And on occasion got a good laugh.

And thanks to your videos I almost designed a course.

2001 courses of interest that come to me is.
Gooseneck Bay Old Golf Course
Santa Barbara Hills
Avalon Coast

Wellington Point while not a 2001 course is a much deserving course of a fresh coat of paint.

Thanks to All
JerryD
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

@jerryd - I don't think it's thanks that creators are really craving or is even what's needed - it's just the notification that people are using what has been created, and hopefully enjoying themselves with it. :kicking:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen