What I'm up to

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
chad

Re: What I'm up to

Post by chad »

Hey Lez,
I wonder if Cadmium Greens would be a good candidate for an upgrade? That's an early fave of mine.
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

i have a course that i think just needs more pins. Cala masquida. If yuour are interested in working on it
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

bear2016 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:17 am i have a course that i think just needs more pins. Cala masquida. If yuour are interested in working on it
Actually it was about 5 years that McCoist was working on an update of this course. He instead released Campo El Punetero then. The issue that I have seen is not a lack of pins, but misapplied texture settings to where unexpectedly it says that you have to take a drop penalty for say being in a portion of what would seem to be the fairway. Interesting scenery befitting a course located near Portugal and has a variety in type of holes.
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

I was blown away by the beauty of Cala Masquida when I saw it, and offered to try to update it back in 2012 when someone, who I can't remember, was unable to. I was also in contact with the original designer who sent me all the files he had, but I was also unable to make any progress... again I can't remember what the problem was, but it was beyond my abilities and so I posted if anyone else wanted to try because I thought such a great work deserved to be completed. It was probably McCoist who offered to take up the challenge after me and was the person who I passed it on to. Sad to hear that it couldn't be finished but it wasn't due to a lack of effort by the Links community. :sad:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Are there any screenshots of this fabled beautiful course that I cannot seem to find anywhere? Is Campo el Punetero actually that same course with a different name and/or alterations, but in large the same? -confused-
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Adelade wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:40 am Are there any screenshots of this fabled beautiful course that I cannot seem to find anywhere? Is Campo el Punetero actually that same course with a different name and/or alterations, but in large the same? -confused-
McCoist did Campo El Punetero about same time he was working on upgrade of Cala Mesquida Pines 2003 and that is why I remember McCoist and time frame by looking in on discussions then. Somehow he was able to get files from Detmar Kirschner I believe is name of original designer as was needed because in my course library it states course is beta version and locked. Hopefully Lez Marwick or McCoist will be able to pass on original course files that you can figure out glitches of what I see are misapplied texture assignments.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I had a look at it in Links, along with the text file in German (google translate made it understandable enough). The text file mentions texture properties and pin positions still needing work along with some other things, it also mentions that it needs a complete replanting due to some issue that others had told him was impossible to solve. I suspected this probably means objects having steel bounces, so I tested a couple shots through grass / bush objects that sadly indeed gave hard bounces. So thats whats up I guess, someone would have to be willing to replant or at the very least eliminate the steel objects that are remotely in play.

It does remind me a lot of Campo el Punetero in the colours and vegetation/biome, I could perhaps imagine McCoist made it with Cala Mesquida as inspiration, or possibly even a sort of tribute.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
mccoist

Post by mccoist »

Ive still got the Cala Mesquida file on my pc. I was going to complete it and made HD textures for it which I ended up using to make my own course which is nothing like Cala. If anyone wants a shot at it let me know and they can have the file, I have not done anything to it.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

You can send it to me Mr. Mccoist.......!!!!

Sage..... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

sagevanni wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 6:27 pm You can send it to me Mr. Mccoist.......!!!!

Sage..... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Yeah-it's not as if Sage is busy or anything... :tongue: