What I'm up to

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Lez Marwick

What I'm up to

Post by Lez Marwick »

I never did progress reports in the past, but as I've recently returned to Links 2003 and Links Corner I thought I'd bring everyone up to date with my plans, for anyone who's interested.
As I am currently out of practise with the APCD I've decided for the moment to focus on updating 2001 user created courses again, rather than starting new courses from scratch. I did 4 of these the last time I was playing Links 2003 and, apart from the crashes caused by the presence of 2001 2D objects, I found working on them a fun diversion from actual course design.

I'm currently updating Steve Pope's Canyon Hills. I chose this because of the mostly excellent planting on the course and the nicely constructed mesh, which makes updating far easier. So far I've added ambient sound, 1024 textures, additional planting, and seam blended most of the course (except bunkers, waste areas and cliffs). I will be adding hole previews, crowds and tournament objects when I finish the seam blending.

There are some very good 2001 courses that get little to no play these days simply because they have the limitations of the 2001 APCD, so, if anyone has any recommendations for 2001 user created courses that deserve a makeover then feel free to mention them in this thread. I'll then add them to my list of courses to check out as future update candidates. Be aware though that some courses may be locked and can't be updated. Others have meshes that are badly constructed making them difficult to work with, and some may need to be completely re-planted and I'm unlikely to choose these for an update.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
fiver

Re: What I'm up to

Post by fiver »

Crouching Beast was one of my early favorites.
chad

Post by chad »

Apple Tree and Kylane Country Club :thumbup:
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

I've often thought about updating my mate Mick Lenton's Arden Lakes, but like you was worried by the 2001 2D objects. I also think it would need a lot of mesh work, especially around the bunkers. Might need to look at some of the greens as well :pcwhack:

EDIT: It doesn't want to open in APCD 1.5. Will have to try and find the original APCD.

EDIT 2 Helps if you open it with the APCD with 2001 Objects imported :oops: All the plants seem to display correctly now and i have swapped in some of your textures Lez, along with a couple of McCoists. Also got rid of one of my bug bears. There WAS a First Cut where I would put Fringe, that played as rough, and outside that was Rough that played as Rough. Once I have finished my current course, I may try and get this blended and the pins redone. Won't touch the planting, even though I don't like some of the grass used. As far as I know, this was the only course Mick ever released.
Last edited by Stephen Sullivan on August 4th, 2020, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Well, Lez, I actually have several 2001 courses still in my collection that I enjoy playing, and of course I would love to see them updated. Here are 4 favorites. I don't know whether or not they are locked.

1. Burnt Pine @ Sandestin ( #861 )
2. Chesapeake Valley ( #964 )
3. The Bluffs @ Ocean Point ( #446 )
4. Springbrook Lakes ( #1014 )

I'm sure you won't have time for all of them, but at least you could add them to your list. I think it's absolutely GREAT that you're doing this as a "project".... :thumbup:
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Yes, I would love to see someone update the Apple Tree golf course. It is one of my favorites! :thumbup:

Jeff

chad wrote: August 4th, 2020, 3:27 pm Apple Tree and Kylane Country Club :thumbup:
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

I would also suggest Apple Tree. Another real course by Jack Hartt that's in Washington is Desert Canyon. It is ripe for an upgrade too. Anyone remember how to get the supposedly included putting course. I forgot.
gator

Post by gator »

ChuckH wrote: August 4th, 2020, 8:40 pm ... Desert Canyon ... Anyone remember how to get the supposedly included putting course. I forgot.
It used to be included with the download @ http://www.linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=769. I don't think that has changed.
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

gator wrote: August 4th, 2020, 9:30 pm
ChuckH wrote: August 4th, 2020, 8:40 pm ... Desert Canyon ... Anyone remember how to get the supposedly included putting course. I forgot.
It used to be included with the download @ http://www.linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=769. I don't think that has changed.
I downloaded the zip but only the regular course is in it.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

If you want the Desert Canyon putting course - PM me! :smile:

Pete