How Real is Real?

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
FOOOOORE!

Re: How Real is Real?

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Not sure, but it's common knowledge that plenty of country clubs have recreated certain holes from Tour venues. And if you look at the courses played on Tour, you quite often see something on 18 that looks a lot like Bay Hill's 18th or Pebble Beach's 18th; it's sort of a classic shape, long curve around and across water, how much do you dare to chew off on the drive. The only problem with my plan is the total stokes add up to only 67. I haven't looked into whether that is even allowed, but it must be, given there are 18-hole par-3 courses to be had. I could make it 71 by adding Augusta's difficult 10th hole, but then I'd have 19 holes.

I'm surprised no one has ever done a course with 6 of each par: 6 par-3's, 6 par-4's, and 6 par 5's. And none on Tour either, which I think would be very interesting, especially with Modified Stableford scoring. That would be something else I'd like to do. I did that with Mean 18 on my Apple IIgs eons ago, back when the ball was one big, square pixel. No golfer of course!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

If you took a par 72 and converted it to 6 3's, 6 4's and 6 5's, it would still give a par 72, but I think that the major drawback would be limitations on the "landscaping" factor, with limited opportunity to "elaborate" the Par 3's...essentially one shot then you're putting. There may be one or two, at the most opportunities for dramatic downhill shots, but most inland courses tend to be more one-dimensional. You can accomplish more landscaping and visual benefit with more Par 4's and 5's.
Just MHO.
For what's worth there are a couple of websites, some linked to Google Earth, that have both 2 and 3 dimensional views dedicated to golf clubs-depending on club availability.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

What's interesting about par-3's, in Links and on real-life courses, is how they all tend to be "straight-on". Even if it's a 225-yard hole, you're never forced to draw or fade your shot, or at least have to hit it blind over a bunch of trees or over a hill right in front of you. I think there's plenty of potential to create more variation in par-3's, but on real courses they're mostly set up as holes on which you can kinda relax a bit, just aim for the pin and get it as close as possible.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

If your suggestions were a good idea I think someone would have tried them in the last 600 years - don't you? It seems you have missed the point of golf. It's a test of your ability to control a club, be it an iron or a wood, and make it hit a ball high, or low, or make it bend the ball one way or the other, to find a way to get into a 4+ inch hole from some far distance in the prescribed number of strokes. What you're talking about doing is tricking up the playing ground - putting a barn between the pitchers mound and home plate - making a basketball hoop raise up and down while players are shooting at it - putting a foot-wide ditch across the bowling alley - covering a football field with oil. That might seem like fun to you - but it isn't.

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

The features I just described exist in abundance on par-4's and par-5's. Someone needs to tell off those dirdy rodden scoundrels! Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, did you? I find your tone a bit over the top.