Wade Hampton Golf Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: Wade Hampton Golf Club

Post by Danny D »

BruMu wrote: July 6th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Danny D wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:25 am
BruMu wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:21 am Played a round here last evening, hit my drive on 18 into the stream along the left side of the fwy. It showed and played as a playable lie.

Don't think it should be playable from in the water should it?
Hiya BruMu. The first question we ask in this situation is, were you in the practice mode when you were playing?

Dan
I played a round of 18 holes. Has nothing to do with practice mode.
Water plays like normal ground in the practice mode. If you were in practice mode, you have to play out of the water if you hit it in.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Bruman,
I have checked the design of the stream running along the 18th fairway.
I assume, for this explanation, that you are unfamiliar with APCD. (just like me :rant: ).
When creating this stream and making it blend together it is made as so:
  • 1 Rough texture,
    2 Rough to rocks seam blend
    3 Rocks to water seam blend
    4 Water texture
The water texture property is identified correctly such that if you land on this area Links will identify the lie as a hazard.
( I think :dunno: :helpsmilie: ), that when you land on the "rocks to water seam blend", Links will show the lie dependent on how close it is to either of the textures. Therefore if the ball is lying closer to the rocks Links will show the lie as Rocks not water and therefore not in an hazard.

I did, however, discover a fault with the "Rough to rocks seam blend". I had incorrectly identified the rocks part of the seam blend as Fringe and not Rocks.

If you are able to re-enact the shot - I know it will be difficult - pleaser check if the lie shown agrees with the shot characteristics; if not I will look further.
Thank you for playing Wade Hampton and I hope you enjoyed it - with the obvious exception. :oops:

Titus,
Thank you for your very generous thoughts on Wade Hampton. :tiphat: I am even more appreciative of the reference to Sweetlake GC. This was my first attempt to see if I could use APCD and for a fictional course and first attempt I am very happy with it, considering it was 11 years ago.

Ian
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Danny D wrote: July 6th, 2020, 2:20 pm
BruMu wrote: July 6th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Danny D wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:25 am Hiya BruMu. The first question we ask in this situation is, were you in the practice mode when you were playing?

Dan
I played a round of 18 holes. Has nothing to do with practice mode.
Water plays like normal ground in the practice mode. If you were in practice mode, you have to play out of the water if you hit it in.
I know the difference between practice and playing a round thank you.
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Ian Wells wrote: July 6th, 2020, 2:22 pm Hi Bruman,
I have checked the design of the stream running along the 18th fairway.
I assume, for this explanation, that you are unfamiliar with APCD. (just like me :rant: ).
When creating this stream and making it blend together it is made as so:
  • 1 Rough texture,
    2 Rough to rocks seam blend
    3 Rocks to water seam blend
    4 Water texture
The water texture property is identified correctly such that if you land on this area Links will identify the lie as a hazard.
( I think :dunno: :helpsmilie: ), that when you land on the "rocks to water seam blend", Links will show the lie dependent on how close it is to either of the textures. Therefore if the ball is lying closer to the rocks Links will show the lie as Rocks not water and therefore not in an hazard.

I did, however, discover a fault with the "Rough to rocks seam blend". I had incorrectly identified the rocks part of the seam blend as Fringe and not Rocks.

If you are able to re-enact the shot - I know it will be difficult - pleaser check if the lie shown agrees with the shot characteristics; if not I will look further.
Thank you for playing Wade Hampton and I hope you enjoyed it - with the obvious exception. :oops:

Titus,
Thank you for your very generous thoughts on Wade Hampton. :tiphat: I am even more appreciative of the reference to Sweetlake GC. This was my first attempt to see if I could use APCD and for a fictional course and first attempt I am very happy with it, considering it was 11 years ago.

Ian
I have a screen shot of my ball in the water. The lie says "water". The ball was still playable.

I'll see if I can find somewhere to post the image.
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Here's the pic
Attachments
18thwater.jpg
18thwater.jpg (743.91 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Shouldn't his pants be rolled up like Dustin? :rofl:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Bruman,

I have tried to replicate the shot from the same location and Links indicates the ball is in the water and a hazard. See below.
I have no idea how or why your situation occurs, perhaps other more experienced designers may have an idea?
Ian
screen0004.jpg
screen0004.jpg (301.5 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Two ideas: 1. You probably did this already but just to make sure - check the Water to Sand(rocks?) seamblend for incorrect properties like you mentioned about the other one. That said, I checked it out just now and it looks to me like its set properly (useful tip: you can test these kinds of things out in practice mode too if you tick the box "Enforce normal round rules" within Shot Options > Practice Options)
2. BruMu compare your course version to the one currently available at Links Corner, you may have the older version which - if I recall correctly - Ian updated shortly after release. Perhaps its possible this was something that was fixed among the updates.

If none of those things can explain it, it does indeed seem very odd and mysterious...

P.S. Ian I sent you a private message earlier (though its nothing important)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
jputt99

Post by jputt99 »

First , I want to thank Ian Wells and all of our APCD designers . You guys do an unbelievable
job of bringing high quality courses to us . You don't get nearly enough credit for the hours of
work you put in for each course you create .
I live in NC , but have not had the opportunity to play Wade Hampton , yet . Whenever I play
a "real" course in Links2003 , I compare the general layout against Google maps and most of
the time , the designer is spot on .
Wade Hampton is nothing short of spectacular in it's general look and playability .
But , here's my critique . Does anyone else think the greens are , boring ? Just my opinion ,
but it seems there are too many straight putts on the greens . If the greens had a touch more
slope in them , this course would vault into the top 5% of all courses available at Links Corner .
I'm sure most designers never get a chance to visit the actual course and record all the details
of every green . And it's difficult to try and simulate the contours of a green that you have
never actually seen .
This is one of the few times I have weighed in about a course here and it's because I thought that this
course was exceptional and could be among the best ever designed with APCD .

Thanks again Ian , Jim .
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I have seen where the course designer has more than gone out of his way to make this course as realistic as can be recently wanting to get Strakaline green books to revise course only to find that they have not been scanned. It is confusing that another course in Cashiers, NC known as High Hampton originally designed by George Cobb and then later redesigned by course designer of Wade Hampton, Tom Fazio is available for sale at Strakaline site. I made a post that some rinky dinky courses that were once tobacco farms and cow pastures in mid-NC that were made into so called golf courses have theirs for sale at Strakaline despite about a half dozen of them closing in the past 20 years or so now being office parks or neighborhoods of homes near cities where land once was out in the country---not incorporated into the city limits. There is a post that said Wade Hampton course had looks and playability, but then changed mind writing that greens were too flat. Surely there must be a few pins set on gradients that would be challenging to play with firm/challenging along with fast/challenging settings that might provide a challenging round of golf.