Old Head Golf Links

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
pmgolf

Old Head Golf Links

Post by pmgolf »

The Beta is being processed for release!
Old Head Hole 4.jpg
Old Head Hole 4.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Pete
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Old Head Golf Links

Post by Andy »

In future Pete please ensure that courses for upload are presented as .zip files.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Oops! My first shot at it and I screwed it up! Not a good track record! :oops: :bookh:

Pete
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

pmgolf wrote: June 15th, 2020, 2:39 pm Oops! My first shot at it and I screwed it up! Not a good track record! :oops: :bookh:

Pete
No big deal, it just makes my life easier. :naughty:
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Pmgolf,
I love this Course the wind sounds on this Course as well
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Just played a practice round. Very nice. Looks like a links course, and that's a compliment. Visually is not under- or over-stated. I had no issue with rendering, and that's something that I tend to pay attention to.

Holes 15 and 16 caught my attention. #15, if played from the yellow or white tees, could be a drive-able par 4 with a risk-reward element. #16 could could be a par 3 that requires some thought depending on tee, pin, and conditions. It reminds me a little of #4 at Muirfield Village. With the pin in the back left there and f(c)/F(c) conditions, a tee shot to the front right of the green will feed to the hole. #16 at Old Head shows the same kind of possibilities.

Well done to the three involved.
Dave
No matter where you go, there you are.
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi Pete, just played a practice round and had no issues at all. I was in the rough a couple of times but I managed to not be in one bunker. I noticed no rendering or texture issues. I'll echo the comment above and say the wind sound was very good! I imagine it was a custom sound? I enjoyed the greens and their shape and your pin selection...I played with all pins viewable and rotated 360 on the greens to get a feel for green design and pins. I think the only suggestion I would have would be to add some ocean sounds, water hitting the cliffs below type stuff, on some holes. I've never worked with planted sounds in my own designs so I don't know how hard or easy it would be to add. I pronounce it an excellent beta ready to head for final!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Noticed this when looking back from first tee, plays great though
Attachments
screen0009.jpg
screen0009.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 3849 times
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Well, I guess I get to play "Devil's Advocate" here a little. I really liked the look and play of Old Head overall. The ocean was well done. Nice
color, and distant texture was more 'rough' looking than the smoother shoreline. Unfortunately, the color of the "striping" on the lighthouse is what
it is. Sort of a grass green color. Too bad it's not a little more "pronounced" in real life. Playability was fine for me , except that I landed well left
of the green on one hole, and the rough was HUGE. Like 2 ft. blades of grass or whatever. ( Front nine )

The part I take a bit of an issue with is the sound file. Actually, to me, the howling, gusting wind sounds almost became a little overbearing. I thought my ANI might lose his cap or something. The whole front nine seemed that way.....but on the back, around hole 13, it seemed to 'dissapate'
a little, and only crank up on occasion. If you could kind of change-up the sound to have some occasional "lulls" in the gusty winds throughout the
full round, it would be a plus, to me. Now, granted IRL this peninsula course jutting out to sea, with virtually no trees in sight is going to catch
quite a bit of ocean winds and breezes. But, I'm guessing it MAY not be that way all the time. Just food for thought.

I kind of like the idea that this course was a collaboration ( not the first ), but each designer maybe played a specific role, and the whole course
came together nicely. Maybe some future courses would benefit from that as well. Since some designers excel at and like doing 3D buildings, and others are outstanding with planting or panos.

At any rate.....I'm assuming that releasing a course in Beta form is supposed to invite both compliments and constructive criticism, right? You guys have put together a classic in Old Head without much to change! BTW: When I went to the real course website, I saw that 18 hole green fees were
currently 375 Euros ( $482 US ). Holy crap !!! Who needs wind to blow your cap off.

Weeler
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Pete wrote: June 15th, 2020, 7:37 pm Noticed this when looking back from first tee, plays great though
I'm glad to see it! It happened to me on a random basis throughout the design. I just changed the sky and it went away.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Were you in Practice mode when this happened? I was told by others that it only happened to them in Practice mode.

Weeler:

"landed well left of the green on one hole, and the rough was HUGE. Like 2 ft. blades of grass or whatever. ( Front nine )"

I saw that in several places, but the grass was laying flat. Was it for you? I thought about scaling the rough down a little, but I didn't see it happen through the rest of the course so I considered it a fluke.

The high wind sounds. You're only supposed to have those on during rounds with Windy conditions. For the other conditions, turn those sounds off. The quietness is like the sounds of gentle breezes - no extra charge for the realism! :clapping: :thumbup: :smile:

Pete