Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Post by Danny D »

OK, I've decided to give Coeur d'Alene a serious effort. I've spent a few hours tonight looking it over closely, and with a little imagination, and a lot of time and effort, I might be able to make something acceptable, as long as nobody gets too critical with my results. :tongue: I will give it my best effort. The course itself looks do-able, but the surroundings are going to be the challenge.

The first challenge, before I begin the course construction, is to see if an acceptable pano can be created. The backside of the course looks like it won't need a background pano. It's made up of trees and hills, which I believe I can create with the APCD. It's the scenery across the lake that has me a little stumped. Is there any chance I can get a graphics expert that has worked with pano's to take a look at what I need to do and at least let me know if it's possible? There are a few miles of shoreline across the lake that I have made some screen captures of that look better than any real photos I have found. There is a circle drive near the water where you can get actual Google Earth photo views, but they are hazy. I actually think the screen captures of the GE provided scenery looks sharper, and might be more acceptable, but I'm not sure I know how to squeeze it into a half of a pano. I had an idea rattling around in my brain and started wondering if it may be possible to add a lot of extra plot to make up the lake, and put an upturned 90 degree lip, or wall on the other side, and perhaps apply the screen shots to it and use that for the background scenery. Just a wild idea. It's an average of 2 miles in all directions across the lake, and i thought perhaps making a wall in a huge half-circle might be the best way to view the scenery from the floating green.
The issue I see is, when you are out on the floating green, you will need to see the shoreline across the lake from all directions for at least a 180 degree circle. So the screen captures I made will need to be squeezed into that area to make up half of the pano, or at least so it seems to me. Or perhaps even some other scenery that at least looks similar might work here. :dunno:

Is there anyone experienced out there that would be willing to take a look at it for me and give me an opinion of whether it can be done one way or another? I don't even want to start on the course construction until I can get this issue settled. Any tips or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Re: Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Post by Adelade »

Awesome Dan, Im probably not the best person to ask (I would know better after I make the pano for Nine Bridges later on, so far I've only experience of working with 'medium' quality pictures that I ended up not being happy with the result of) but I doubt it'd be too hard to make an acceptable pano. I can take a closer look at it later if no one else responds, but high quality photos is definitely the key. Making a pano from terrain is a good idea, but the max rendering distance in Links for terrain is around 1k yards (gets drastically shorter the lower the graphics slider is set to). I think making a pano would be better unless maybe itd be possible to make terrain 500-900 yards away that still looks alright (not sure how that would turn out) and simply "sacrifice" people using lower settings :unsure: I think its better to make a pano at least for the opposite side, surely some good photos should be possible to find? On the sides viewed from the island could be tricky yeah but if a pano isnt needed elsewhere on the course I bet it wouldnt be too impossible to make it work, especially if some photos from the island could be found... Hopefully someone else who's more confident than me about panos is willing to take a look at it, but IF you are able to find good quality photos I would at least be up for turning them into a panorama .tga for you.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: June 12th, 2020, 3:13 pm Awesome Dan, Im probably not the best person to ask (I would know better after I make the pano for Nine Bridges later on, so far I've only experience of working with 'medium' quality pictures that I ended up not being happy with the result of) but I doubt it'd be too hard to make an acceptable pano. I can take a closer look at it later if no one else responds, but high quality photos is definitely the key. Making a pano from terrain is a good idea, but the max rendering distance in Links for terrain is around 1k yards (gets drastically shorter the lower the graphics slider is set to). I think making a pano would be better unless maybe itd be possible to make terrain 500-900 yards away that still looks alright (not sure how that would turn out) and simply "sacrifice" people using lower settings :unsure: I think its better to make a pano at least for the opposite side, surely some good photos should be possible to find? On the sides viewed from the island could be tricky yeah but if a pano isnt needed elsewhere on the course I bet it wouldnt be too impossible to make it work, especially if some photos from the island could be found... Hopefully someone else who's more confident than me about panos is willing to take a look at it, but IF you are able to find good quality photos I would at least be up for turning them into a panorama .tga for you.
Thanks Adelade. I'm going to tinker around with some things before I get involved with the course creation and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know how things go.

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
chad

Post by chad »

Hey Dan,
I live about 25 or so miles from the course. I might be able to help on occasion. :thumbup:
chad

Post by chad »

This is the only golf sim that I've seen ever release Coeur d'Alene GC-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Page_Sports:_Golf
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

and pga 2000

http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/pga2000/courses/c.htm

If i recall, this is a VERY VERY GOOD course recreation!!

"The eight courses featured in PGA 2000 provide plenty of variety for the desktop duffer, both visually and in the skills required to shoot a good round. Five of the courses are holdovers from Sierra's Golf Pro: Sahalee Country Club (site of the 1998 PGA Championship), Coeur D'Alene, Black Diamond Ranch, the Pete Dye Golf Club, and the Prince Course at Princeville Resort. The two additions are Pasatiempo (designed by Augusta creator Alester Mackenzie) and Royal Birkdale, where PGA Championship Golf endorsee Tom Lehman won at Royal Lythamand St. Annes in 1996."
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

chad wrote: June 13th, 2020, 3:52 am Hey Dan,
I live about 25 or so miles from the course. I might be able to help on occasion. :thumbup:
Hi Chad...

What would really be nice is if you could get some clearer pictures of the panoramic view on the other side of the lake. A Googlemobile drove down to a circle drive near the clubhouse and got some shots, but it was really hazy that day and they aren't really sharp enough. Ideally it would be nice to go out on the floating green and get some shots of everything on the other side of the water in all directions. :smile:
I think I can see the clubhouse well enough to make an acceptable replication of it. Anything at all would be helpful if you happen to get near there.

These are the best real pictures I can find, and they aren't really clear at all.
lake1.jpg
lake1.jpg (462.97 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
lake2.jpg
lake2.jpg (434.98 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
Completed Courses
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, Dan:

Have you tried with Google Maps? In its 3D mode, you can tilt the view until almost horizontal (using CAPS and the mouse) and then rotate 360º. If the panorama suits your taste you could take screenshots and stitch them together later.
Regards.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (112.76 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (73.7 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (108.82 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Duglis wrote: June 13th, 2020, 5:06 am and pga 2000

http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/pga2000/courses/c.htm

If i recall, this is a VERY VERY GOOD course recreation!!
Yes, I have the course installed. Excellent game PGA 2000. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

alarduran wrote: June 13th, 2020, 8:56 am Hi, Dan:

Have you tried with Google Maps? In its 3D mode, you can tilt the view until almost horizontal (using CAPS and the mouse) and then rotate 360º. If the panorama suits your taste you could take screenshots and stitch them together later.
Regards.
Yes alarduran. I've been working on that most of the night. But I'm not making an APCD panorama. I made a temporary course as a test to see if my idea works. I've never seen it done this way, but it seemed like it should be possible. I created a round plot and turned the outer rim up 90 degrees to create a wall. Then I went into Google Earth and stood on the shoreline facing the lake and captured the GE images in a half circle, and then stitched them together into 1 long pano of the scenery that surrounded the lake. Then I broke the long pano up into 1024x256 images and pasted them to the rounded wall on the other side of the lake. I planar sized all of them and placed them side-by-side onto the wall to create my own wall of pictures. After that I added verts and pulled them down to the top of the hills to hide the black GE sky.

If this works out, I will reshape the land area to lay the course out on and use this method for the lake pano. It's about bedtime now, and tomorrow I was going to create a quick green out in the water and save the one hole into a playable course and then see how it looks in Links. I was going to get some opinions on it before I decide to make it permanent. Here's a top view of the plot, and a side view of the lake. Since it's near 2 miles to the far side, it doesn't have to show a lot of fine detail. So far I think it looks pretty good. If it looks ok in Links, and some testers think it will be acceptable, I'll re-do this plot with some better images. This is just a temporary experiment at this point to see if it works.

What do you think?

Dan
apcdtop.jpg
apcdtop.jpg (239.08 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
apcdside.jpg
apcdside.jpg (411.9 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
Completed Courses