Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:45 pm I especially like the first and fifth screenshots (019 and 010), those are some amazing spots for that camera angle! :clapping:

Ever since I had the honour of test playing this course early in the development (and pretty much throughout), I've found it pretty difficult to not post about my feelings and expectations about this course! I didnt want to tease people about it before they get to play it! But it should only be a few days left now until people get to play at least the members version, so I cant hold it back any longer :tongue:

First let me get the only concern of mine out of the way - This course is playing pretty darn easy, it is really rather short and the greens are designed to play easy, so they're mostly relatively flat (just as in real life). On top of it all, many green-sides are designed to funnel landing balls inwards towards the pins. In short - it is instantly obvious that it is a resort course. Which is completely fine I guess. I really struggle to think of a single (real) proper resort course made for Links, at least any that is made to high quality, so thats a nice niche that was screaming to be filled either way. People who are fans of easy courses are most likely going to love it a whole lot.

Fans of challenging real courses, like myself, will hopefully find the future tournament version challenging enough. I think that one, as well, is going to play quite easy (because the plot doesnt leave much room for extending the course, and the greens are always going to be easy to putt on) but I hope (and believe) that it will at least not be too much of a pushover.

The thing is, even if one considers the course too easy in terms of difficulty, it is so worth playing regardless. Most of the easy holes are very far from boring. They come with dramatic and exhilarating challenges such as big elevation drop-offs, narrow tree-lines or water and OB highly in play, and usually the drama is both in the gameplay and visuals, which is just wondeful. The early holes 3 4 5 6 for example all fit into that category, and is definitely my favourite part of the course, despite them all being overall really easy holes. Such a huge treat, that stretch of holes is :yes:

Rest of the course is of course nice too, there are definitely a few snooze-holes where the birdie is basically a foregone conclusion with not much else to it, but another stretch of excellent holes on the back nine keeps things from getting dull. And besides, even during the low-key holes, you always have the really beautiful visuals and surroundings that Dan has succeeded in bringing to life. I dont feel like I need to say anything about the class of APCD work itself here, the sceenshots and course speaks for itself :thumbup: Superb!

Needless to say, if you dont like courses being pushovers, I highly recommend sticking to all-difficult pins, and green speeds from at least M/Fc or faster. With the overall extra ease of the members version I would even say F/Fc or faster. I dont feel like this course is all that well-suited for Windy (although, if you're a Links-god, why not?), but Gusty should be good (and authentic).
Thanks for the real nice write-up Adelade, and for all the help and suggestions throughout. You have been amazing through it all! :notworthy:

Best wishes, :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Danny D wrote: December 21st, 2021, 4:39 am Hi everyone. I have released my rendition of the Coeur d'Alene Golf Resort for Links.

I hope everyone enjoys the course.
I'm afraid I am away from my main PC until 26th December so people will have to be patient. :sad:
FLIPPER2021

Post by FLIPPER2021 »

Haai Danny D, I was just wondering if theres any possibility for you to post a download link for "Coeur d'Alene " on this forum, like Adelade dit with
"Chambers Bay Update" resently, seeing that Andy can do it only do next week, all of us can't wait to play that course!!!. It wil be a Wonderfull Christmas present to all linksters.
Was Jusyt THINKING!
Thanks
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

I agree.
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys. I wouldn't normally post this early, but many of you have requested the course before Christmas. Here's a download link for those on the forums that have been waiting for it. I hope it was worth the wait. Please note that as soon as Andy gets it posted officially, I will delete this one.

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays to all.

Dan

Coeur d'Alene temporary pre Christmas download

DROPBOX TEMPORARY DOWNLOAD DELETED 9:40pm CST, 12/25/2021
Last edited by Danny D on December 26th, 2021, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Danny, superb
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hello Danny,

thank you for this download, this is really a nice Christmas present from you. :thumbup:
Weihnachtsmann 2 klein.jpg
Weihnachtsmann 2 klein.jpg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
Christmas is now perfect :clapping:

Greetings and health to all

Titus
Westernblue

Post by Westernblue »

A huge thank you Danny
Merry Xmas to you and yours
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

I'm going to join the group and say, thanks for the early Christmas present, Dan ! I'm glad you decided to make Couer d'Alene available to us before Andy actually uploads it to LC. Very thoughtful ! Now, I'm gonna go enjoy my first round on it. :notworthy:
Danny D

Some Opinions on Green Changes.

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys. So far it looks like most would like to have a tournament version of Coeur. I'll go ahead and plan ahead and get started on ways to make it a better tournament course.

RE: The Greens...

I realize that the greens are quite easy, and they are set up using the StrackaLine 1 inch green contours. In APCD digits, that's 8 digits per inch. I have never tried this before, but I thought perhaps I may use 1 1/2 inch contours instead of 1 inch. So instead of 8 digits, I would use 12 digit drops. That would ad a little more slope but not change the original green contours. The same breaks and slopes would all be there, but just a teeny bit steeper. We may also decide on whether to do only certain ones, or all of them.

What do you guys think? Do you think that will make the greens slightly harder without going overboard?

I'd also like to enlist a group of volunteers that would be willing to test some of the changes I make and get some approvals before I make any permanent changes. If any of you would like to participate, please send me a private message and I'll add your names to a list. I don't expect there to be any extensive time-consuming testing. Just bits and pieces as I go. I might do things like re-contouring 1 green, and then sending it out to get only that green tested, and then get your input on the results.

Thanks to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Dan

pm me at Danny D
Completed Courses