Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Post by Adelade »

Danny D wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:11 amSo if the course people confirm that it is used as you suspect, you think I should go ahead and build a new tee, or should I leave it where it is currently, at 170 yards? (that's where I have it now so the hole is playable, and I can move on to the next.)
If you plan on having a members and tournament version, then I dont see any harm in leaving Back tee at 170, but if you decide not to split it into different versions, a new tee further back would make me very happy. Im personally fine with either of those two options. Like I said, if the hole wont be playable in any way at or at least almost 218 yards it would make me kind of disappointed, but that is only one single person speaking from a player's perspective, others may have different views on it.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It may not be the most practical solution but there's room between the 15th tee and the tennis courts...or on the west side of the 9th green near the clubhouse.
You could probably squeeze some additional yardage from either of those places.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I called them today and as suspected, they move the green out to where it is 218 from the existing back tee. They did NOT build any new tees. The man admitted that there is no way to make all 5 holes match the scorecard yardages. :sad: However, I think I have a solution. I'll post it after I check a few things out.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Go Danny! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

How's it going, Danny? :)
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Duglis wrote: August 19th, 2021, 3:42 am How's it going, Danny? :)
Am finishing the construction of the final hole. I have a small amount of 3D work to do and then can start the planting. It's going as smooth as can be expected. I anticipate that it may take a few more weeks to do the rest. Wish me luck... :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

LUCK! LUCK ! and a little bit of.....................LUCK! :fcrossed:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Danny D wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:36 am I called them today and as suspected, they move the green out to where it is 218 from the existing back tee. They did NOT build any new tees. The man admitted that there is no way to make all 5 holes match the scorecard yardages. :sad: However, I think I have a solution. I'll post it after I check a few things out.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. :cheers1:

Dan
Yes this jars my memory to where there is a motor of some kind to move green and surrounding area set on a floating platform out and back in the lake. Definitely hitting across water to a green 200 yards away is tough made even tougher using front of green pin settings. Where I have recently discussed creating fictional tees further back gets into my thinking of lengthening shorter real courses to more of a challenging length. Merion where US Open was held in 2013 was iffy to choose then, but saw recently the US Open for men will return there in 2030 and 2050. That is a preliminary plan and USGA along with R and A are in process currently of tightening up regulations on clubs and balls that they seemingly let get out of control with distances players now hit shots. With the cost of land to build a course going up Nicklaus had several years back created a reduced flight golf ball and strongly advocated for its overall implementation by the powers to be thinking back to past days in just how the golf ball has changed. https://golfcollege.edu/evolution-golf-ball/
Growing up and starting to follow and play golf along about 1970 a par 72, 7,000 yard course at sea level elevation then was considered to be of sufficient championship length to test pros in tournaments such as Augusta was then the determining factor. It was about 1971 that Nicklaus set Master's tournament record shooting 17 under par 271 that has since been bettered and Augusta plays nearly 7,500 yards long now with rough that was not originally a part of the character of how the course should play with current thinking going on for more change that hole #13 should be lengthened. Even today in Links some designers create fictional courses nearly 8,000 yards long. Just thinking par 3's being 275 yards, par 4's being 500 yards and par 5's being 600 yards that makes a par 72 course turn out to be 8,500 yards. Sage went crazy recently doing a really long course. To me it played tough as had long shots into greens, but course was relatively devoid of hazards and greens were reasonably flat. Is there someone, who has a spreadsheet that has entered in attributes of courses to where they list in order downwards what are the longest courses ever created in Links?
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

gene_golf wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:00 pmIs there someone, who has a spreadsheet that has entered in attributes of courses to where they list in order downwards what are the longest courses ever created in Links?
Well not really but I have something at least remotely equivalent for courses I select for personal "review" - which are (so far) mostly real courses. Not in full spreadsheet form, and I tend to count in meters and round (up) to closest 10, plus the numbers I usually write down include a certain amount of "bonus" length to courses with lower overall par (because to me what is relevant is how long they are in relation to par), but I think I probably (maybe?) am able to list the longest real courses made in Links. I think we all know there are some crazy long fictional and imaginary courses out there but I have little or no interest in those so I cant name them.

Bro Hof Slott 7300 m par 72 (about 7980 yards)
Ocean course at Kiawa Island 7270 m par 72
Whistling Straits 7260 m par 72

But Bethpage Black could possibly be in the discussion of longest-in-relation-to-par too for being 6990 m at par 70. Also The Links at Rolling Hills at 7150 par 72 but with the five-par-3 and five-par-5 configuration, which arguably puts it in the discussion as well seeing as two average par 4 holes usually are longer than the sum of an average par 5 and an average par 3. Bro Hof is of that same configuration as well though, which makes it the clear winner at the end of the day, I would say.

On the other hand, not sure how relevant or significant that "win" is, length doesnt mean all that much on its own, and besides Bro Hof was clearly not made to be played from those Back tees by people with club distances such as Link's maximum standard ones, impossible to even reach most of the fairway hazards. I never use Back tees on that course.

[Edit: Whistling Straits' Ladies Tees are even further than the Back ones, so those easily win the category after all]
Last edited by Adelade on October 5th, 2021, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Westernblue

Post by Westernblue »

I first played this course on Playstation One back in the day
And on PC as well
A user created course is available on The Golf Club
I look forward to seeing and playing this wonderful course on Links 2003
Thank you Danny