Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
FOOOOORE!

Re: Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Danny D wrote: July 7th, 2021, 12:54 pm
braden1308 wrote: July 7th, 2021, 11:47 am There are two underground bathrooms on the course, the other one is under #7 tee. They made them like that so as not to take away from the looks of the course.
Makes sense Glenn. I won't need to worry about ball washers or waste baskets either. They provide them with the golf carts. :smile:

Dan
No s--t?
Danny D

Opinions Requested - Coeur d'Alene Golf Course

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

I have a minor problem with Coeur d'Alene yardage regarding hole 14, the floating green. Each hole has 5 tee boxes, and so far throughout the rest of the course, all of the yardages have matched up perfectly except for hole 14. I have their newest scorecard, and I can match up the 4 forward tees, but the back tee is the problem.

I have placed the tee boxes in the same place that shows on Google Earth, but the current yardage for the back tee is way off from today's existing score card. The new score card for Coeur d'Alene says the yardage is supposed to be 218 yards. I would tend to think Coeur d'ALene's card should be accurate, considering they just updated their score card within the last couple of months.

Here's the problem. If I move the floating green to where it matches up with all of the 4 forward tees, there's no way to match up the back tee with 218. I would have to build another tee box in the open area straight behind the existing back tee at 218 yards that doesn't exist on Google Earth. On the other hand, if I move the green to where it matches up with 218 from the back tee, then all 4 of the forward tees would be 20 to 25 yards too long.

NOTE:
In GE, the green is moved further back than the standard score card yardages that normally are measured to the center of the green. The end of the yellow ruler line showing in the picture is where the "center of green" marker will be placed on my course. I will need to move my green forward towards the shore until the center of the green is where the yellow line terminates now. Then, all of the tees will measure perfectly to the center of the green. Except for the existing back tee.
cdl 14.jpg
cdl 14.jpg (326.84 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
My thought is to build a new tee box at 218 yards. (At the other end of the yellow ruler line) However, that will make for a really long par 3 tee shot to that floating green.

What do you guys think? Do you mind a 218 yard tee shot out to that floating green? Or would you prefer I ignore changing the back tee box and set the back tee for about 170, where its currently at in Google Earth? Doing so will not match the actual score card yardage of 218.

Here is the Google Earth co-ordinance to Coeur d'Alene if anyone wants to take a look.
47°39'47.41" N 116°45'22.43" W

Here is all of the hole information and replays for Coeur d'Alene. https://www.cdaresort.com/play/golf/hole-by-hole
Click on the scorecard to get a full view of all 18 holes. Notice that on hole 14's hole description, it shows the back tee sitting in the sidewalk fork, but there is NO WAY it's 218 yards. That's the tee box that would have to be moved.

What do you guys think I should do? Any input or suggestions are welcomed...

Thanks,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Danny,
I have measured the following via GE which gives the back tee at 218 yards. Am I missing something here as the back tee is correct but the forward tee length is 106yards? :dunno:
DannyD.jpg
DannyD.jpg (280.13 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Good luck.
(The course looks beautiful.)
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Wow! The course does look terrific, Dan!

For me, there's no way I could hit from 218 and keep the ball on the green. I'd have to hit a fairway wood, and it rolls quite a bit when it lands. A 2 iron would be stretched to it's limit. But I'll play it whichever way you decide.

I've got a par 5 at Old Head that is quite short, but in reading about the course on the internet, I saw where the hole has been extended by 40 yards. So the question is, when are course changes eligible for use in our designs? Seems like there is a reasonable argument for "as it was then" and "as it is now". My opinion is that it should be designer's choice. :smile:

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Wouldnt this work? Tees for 162, 144 and 132 fit too, if the Center of Green is moved to the bottom left end of the measure tape in pictures below. It's not a particularly unlikely scenario to mow the back tee box a slight bit wider at the back for a tournament week, is it? You could also split it into members and tournament course versions, but Im personally not a big fan of that way unless it almost has to be done, and I dont think it seems like it really has to in this case. Seeing as the course overall is quite short and maybe close to borderline "too" easy if wanting to use it as tournament course (which I know for sure I will want to!), I hope there will be a way to play the hole at 218 yards, even if the hole itself indeed seems quite challenging. Like Pete says, of course go with what you yourself feel like.

CDL 14th Tee Problem.jpg
CDL 14th Tee Problem.jpg (290.75 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
Edit: Oh oops, I see the problem, I think that seems to be a practice green rather than a tee area back there... Welp. I guess I'll have to give it some more thought before returning with my conclusive thoughts then.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I suppose what it comes down to is, do the players prefer that the scorecard yardages be identical to the actual course scorecard yardage, or would they prefer I stick with the one showing in GE, even tho it doesn't reflect the true yardage?

I think what I will do is call the golf course and talk to someone about it, and find out where the 218 yard tee box has been placed. It obviously doesn't exist on the current GE satellite imagery.

As far as where I place the green, I will move the green forward to where the center of the green measures 93 yards to the center of the front tee. Once it's in that position, all other tee distances will match up, except for the back one. Then I will build a new back tee wherever the people at the course tell me it's located. I think that would be the most logical choice.

Thanks again fellas, :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

If you go back in time on GE you will notice the position of the island changes......Therein may lie the problem. Starting at 2013 forward for the most part.

Sage..... :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im guessing the answer you'll get from the club is that back tees are for tournament days, and on those days no one really plays the shorter tees, so the green can be moved further away. Whereas the back tee is seldom used on normal days, the scorecard made to reflect those differences rather than the apparent difference between the tees at any one given time. Unless they actually use the back part of the practice green or its fringe to tee up on that is. I like the option of you making a new tee box though :tongue: Either that or splitting the course into two versions, the advantage of splitting it would mean a possibility to set the hole up to play between the otherwise rather big gap of 218 and 162 yards, which could be nice.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

sagevanni wrote: August 4th, 2021, 6:27 am If you go back in time on GE you will notice the position of the island changes......Therein may lie the problem. Starting at 2013 forward for the most part.

Sage..... :smile: :cheers1:
It changes position because it's a floating green. :smile: They can set it at whatever par 3 yardage they want. Just recently they updated their scorecard. The NEW back tee yardage for 14 now shows 218. To establish tee distances, the green must remain in a "default" position, and all of the tee yardages should match up with the tee boxes. The problem is, all 4 of the forward tees match up perfectly with the green, but the BACK tee box, currently on GE, plays 170 yards. I agree with Adelade that most likely they move the green out 218 yds from the current back tee box for tournaments, and the front tees wont be used, so their yardage won't need to match the scorecard. :smile: Thanks for taking a look.

Dan
Completed Courses
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: August 4th, 2021, 7:06 am Im guessing the answer you'll get from the club is that back tees are for tournament days, and on those days no one really plays the shorter tees, so the green can be moved further away. Whereas the back tee is seldom used on normal days, the scorecard made to reflect those differences rather than the apparent difference between the tees at any one given time. Unless they actually use the back part of the practice green or its fringe to tee up on that is. I like the option of you making a new tee box though :tongue: Either that or splitting the course into two versions, the advantage of splitting it would mean a possibility to set the hole up to play between the otherwise rather big gap of 218 and 162 yards, which could be nice.
I agree with you that most likely it's set at that distance on tournament days to where the other tees won't matter. I would not object in having a "tournament" version. In that version, the green can be moved out to 218 from the existing back tee box. It could be set up to play pretty tough, with the right wind and green conditions. :naughty: :whistle:

So if the course people confirm that it is used as you suspect, you think I should go ahead and build a new tee, or should I leave it where it is currently, at 170 yards? (that's where I have it now so the hole is playable, and I can move on to the next.)

For the record, I have 14 holes completed. When I start on a hole, I complete the entire thing before I move on. All construction such as seam blends, bridges, tee boxes, bunkers, greens, (including "strackaline"), bunkers and one pin with one tee set on each tee box. Each hole is 100% completed except for the planting, which will be done last. So all I have left is the last 4 holes, and then the fun begins. :wallbash: I hate planting. :sad:

Thanks for the input Adelade. :tiphat:

Dan

Here is where I'm at with it as it is now...
teeyds.jpg
teeyds.jpg (286.37 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Completed Courses