Chicago Golf Club-Beta-V1.2 BETA

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Pete

Chicago Golf Club-Beta-V1.2 BETA

Post by Pete »

Thanks Sage great job as always
Pete

Re: Chicago Golf Club-Beta-V1.2 BETA

Post by Pete »

3 rounds played no problems Sage, looks like a final, lovely quality
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thank you so much guys...!!!!!! hoping to get something that needs to be looked at......just to keep me on my toes....!!!!!

Sage..... :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Sage......no playability issues on the course. Great job, as usual ! But I'll have to admit, I've never seen such unusually shaped greens on any
course. Especially completely square or rectangular ones. But that is, indeed, how they really are in course photos. Also, it's kind of surprising to
see the "absence" of trees on a course in the Chicago area. But maybe that's because it's so old.
Anyway good job , and keep them coming.

Weeler
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Weeler wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 2:43 pm Sage......no playability issues on the course. Great job, as usual ! But I'll have to admit, I've never seen such unusually shaped greens on any
course. Especially completely square or rectangular ones. But that is, indeed, how they really are in course photos. Also, it's kind of surprising to
see the "absence" of trees on a course in the Chicago area. But maybe that's because it's so old.
Anyway good job , and keep them coming.

Weeler
I second the points made about strange shaped greens and sand traps along with the absence of trees. The course is fairly flat overall and there is a lack of water coming into play. What I see most is the angles coming into greens as major design feature. There were co-designers over about 30 years C. B. McDonald and Seth Raynor that copied famous holes from other courses and did these holes on other courses as well. It is a wonder to many that oldest course in USA is ranked still as 14th best by recent Golf Digest ranking. A point made in the article that I do not see coming into play was this feature of play by Sage's version, " It was remodeled into its present configuration, emulating famous holes, in 1923 by Macdonald’s longtime assistant Seth Raynor. One thing Raynor retained was Macdonald’s routing, with all the out-of-bounds on the left. C.B., you see, was a slicer."
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/chicago-golf-club
Two other courses ranked higher on Golf Digest list by these two golf course architects although they were done separately: National Golf Links and Fishers Island located on New York's coast and they are as unknown to many as Chicago Golf Club is. https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/amer ... es-ranking
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hole previews would be nice, lovely work
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I looked it over yesterday and thought of 2 things, but I suspected they are as they are because its just a beta (there was no info about anything that was known to be adjusted for full release) so I wasnt sure if I should bring them up or not.

-The overall course yardage is quite a bit shorter than what gene said the real course was listed at (6950 yds) in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=2893#p2893 (by the way, this is the 3rd different thread about this course in 2 months..) I noticed tee areas further back on some holes that had no planted tees on them, and that 4 of the planted tees were identically showing as red, so I figured maybe another set of tees was already intended to be planted for the full release? Not sure if those would be enough to bring it to the yardage gene pointed out but maybe?

-Greens seem to have no contours at all, just plain flatness or uniform tilt :dunno:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

Sage just finished playing this course and really enjoyed it no issues at all great job,Steve :smile:
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

Adelade wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 8:15 pm I looked it over yesterday and thought of 2 things, but I suspected they are as they are because its just a beta (there was no info about anything that was known to be adjusted for full release) so I wasnt sure if I should bring them up or not.

-The overall course yardage is quite a bit shorter than what gene said the real course was listed at (6950 yds) in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=2893#p2893 (by the way, this is the 3rd different thread about this course in 2 months..) I noticed tee areas further back on some holes that had no planted tees on them, and that 4 of the planted tees were identically showing as red, so I figured maybe another set of tees was already intended to be planted for the full release? Not sure if those would be enough to bring it to the yardage gene pointed out but maybe?

-Greens seem to have no contours at all, just plain flatness or uniform tilt :dunno:
i told sage the same thing about the greens. i thought that they were to flat too.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

6,950 total yardage comes from Wikipedia. Hole #9 tee is not way back, so have to layup not to drive into pond in Sage's version. The back tee actually is to left of #8 green and that alone would add 50 yards to this hole. Hole #7, Redan does have right to left sloping green downhill, but somehow Hole #3, Biarritz lacks the dip in middle of green.