Aussie course, Coomealla

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
AJ Allen

Aussie course, Coomealla

Post by AJ Allen »

Working hard on my first course, which is local to my area of NW Victoria. This is nestled on the banks of the Murray river, and you can catch glimpes of it from a few of the fairways and greens. But the majority of holes wind through native bushland of box and rivergums. Textures will be changed to something a bit more worn and burnt.

Im using a combination of Google Earth and the course website flyovers of each hole to get correct elevations, bunker/green sizes and placements etc. Not an exact match, but pretty close. Attached are a few screenshots from around the course (ignore the riducously low score... I just did it in practice mode, and when I had looked at the hole I dropped by the pin and tapped in to go to the next).

Cheers, AJ
Attachments
c6.jpg
c6.jpg (312.19 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
c5.jpg
c5.jpg (303.18 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
c4.jpg
c4.jpg (251.36 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
c3.jpg
c3.jpg (287.92 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
c2.jpg
c2.jpg (318.52 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
c1.jpg
c1.jpg (317.36 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Danny D

Re: Aussie course, Coomealla

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: May 26th, 2020, 7:14 am Working hard on my first course, which is local to my area of NW Victoria. This is nestled on the banks of the Murray river, and you can catch glimpes of it from a few of the fairways and greens. But the majority of holes wind through native bushland of box and rivergums. Textures will be changed to something a bit more worn and burnt.

Im using a combination of Google Earth and the course website flyovers of each hole to get correct elevations, bunker/green sizes and placements etc. Not an exact match, but pretty close. Attached are a few screenshots from around the course (ignore the riducously low score... I just did it in practice mode, and when I had looked at the hole I dropped by the pin and tapped in to go to the next).

Cheers, AJ
Very natural looking and well done. Beautiful work! :notworthy: :clapping: :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Pete

Post by Pete »

Nice work Danny looking forward to it, many thanks
Pete
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Very promising for a 1st course :clapping: :thumbup: :tiphat:
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Pete wrote: May 26th, 2020, 11:02 am Nice work Danny looking forward to it, many thanks
Pete
Not mine Pete. AJ is doing this one. I was just commenting on it. But I'll tell him you said so. :smile:

:cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Thanks for looking. "Natural" is exactly the sort of look I'm after. A bit unkempt in comparison to the manicured courses you might find on the PGA, a lot more wild areas, and worn sandy patches in places. In fact, you might actually come across the occasional G.U.R where new grass has been sown ;-)

I have a collection of tthe local birdlife sounds (not taken from other APCD courses), kookaburra, ravens, lorikeets etc. My hope is to impart a feeling of being on a rural course on a hot summers day. The new grass textures Im adding will definitely help with that, not so green and lush, more sunburnt, with lots of run. That's how it is around here.

That paddleboat steamer you can see on the Murray river, is the Rothbury. A number of the old steamers go up and down the river on various daytrips and cruises. I hear their steam whistle go twice a day from my office, as they depart the wharf about 1/4 mile from here.

T%hanks, AJ
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

Wow, this is looking very nice. Looking forward to playing here.

Any chance for future screen shots you could turn the grid off? Much nicer to look at a course in it's natural state :)
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Yes, I did think it looked a bit crappy with it on, so for future ones, it will be off for sure. You're right, it shouldn't have been on, I should have taken the time to redo them with it off.

Like a lot of the smaller local courses, the distances mean it's probably a bit too easy for people playing on links. So what I'm doing is having 3 tee boxes, the ladies and mens are the actual course distances, and then an extra back tee. Not much point in a ladies tee, as I don't suppose anyone would want to play a course so short, but just for the sake of being authentic ;-) The extra back tees aren't ridiculously long, just enough to give a bit more of a challenge, instead of being able to bash a ball over the fairway loglegs and have a wedge into the green.

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: May 26th, 2020, 12:18 pm Thanks for looking. "Natural" is exactly the sort of look I'm after. A bit unkempt in comparison to the manicured courses you might find on the PGA, a lot more wild areas, and worn sandy patches in places. In fact, you might actually come across the occasional G.U.R where new grass has been sown ;-)

I have a collection of tthe local birdlife sounds (not taken from other APCD courses), kookaburra, ravens, lorikeets etc. My hope is to impart a feeling of being on a rural course on a hot summers day. The new grass textures Im adding will definitely help with that, not so green and lush, more sunburnt, with lots of run. That's how it is around here.

That paddleboat steamer you can see on the Murray river, is the Rothbury. A number of the old steamers go up and down the river on various daytrips and cruises. I hear their steam whistle go twice a day from my office, as they depart the wharf about 1/4 mile from here.

T%hanks, AJ
You need to go down near the river and record the steam whistle and add it to the course. :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Looking good :smile: Make sure to test if your treetops and 2D grasses allow the ball through rather than hard bounce, common problem with first designs.

I agree that the grid hides the course a bit, but also nice to see elevation work more clearly in an occasional screenshot at least. Only mentioning it because it was brought up already anyway.
AJ Allen wrote: May 26th, 2020, 12:44 pmand then an extra back tee.
I approve :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...