Clip Notes Course Reviews

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Clip Notes Course Reviews

Post by Andy »

FOOOOORE! wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:30 pm I was just looking through the excellent Clip Notes (and DL'ing some of the top-rated courses I don't have), and I noticed a few so far that appear to never have gotten beyond Beta status, Oakmont, Stansbury, and Casten Acres, for example. Are there final versions of these courses somewhere? (Just noticed Jacob's Creek doesn't appear at all, even as Discontinued. And "Valderrama by John Aherne" shows up as a course by Microsoft)
Jacob's Creek - https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1644

The version of Valderrama we have in the database (https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=353) is a Microsoft version. John Ahearne's version was not made available to us (as far as I remember) as it was owned by Valderrama.
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

hey andy...do you know why the 4 k club courses by john ahearn got discontinued? i used to have those courses but dont anymore.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

bear2016 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 9:45 pm hey andy...do you know why the 4 k club courses by john ahearn got discontinued? i used to have those courses but dont anymore.
I'm guessing here but I think that as with Valderrama, the K Club owned the copyright of John's Links versions and would not release them.

I stand to be corrected.
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

i just found those golf courses on another website andy
alphington

Post by alphington »

bear2016 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 11:35 pm i just found those golf courses on another website andy
Thanks for the heads up - searched using different engines and located Amanti Tour :thumbup:
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Adelade wrote: March 6th, 2021, 3:49 pm Course evaluations are subjective though...
This became apparent to me while working my way through the 286 courses I have installed in Links at the moment (which doesn't include the many dozens/hundreds of others on my backup drive). I randomly picked Briarwood by Ross Anthony and found that I really liked it. Is it a thing of beauty? A work of fine APCD craftsmanship? Maybe not. Did I enjoy the challenge of playing it? Yeah. Did I like the variety of shot options and pin positions? Sure did. Would I play it again? Yep, no hesitation.

Looking up the review in the Clip Notes (p. 78 in version 3.02), it was given a 29/50 rating. If I had read that before choosing to play this course, I might have skipped it and went on to another one instead. Glad I didn't.

While this guide might be helpful in finding some gems (anything, say, 35/50 or higher) in the gigantic database of Links courses, I think it can be misleading for anything deemed the lesser of those. The topic Rolling Contoured Courses of Unpredictability has done a pretty good job of documenting some wild, but fun, courses. Links is just a golf computer simulation game, it's not the real thing. I don't expect that playing a course on the computer via Links is anything whatsoever like actually playing a real course with real golf clubs. So, I like playing some crazy stuff (Devil's Island, Piazza Metallica, Rivendell, Rocky Nuts, The Crusoe Course, TRON, Hilina Pali, Nurubian Nights, 5 Lakes Barrage) just as much as the beautiful/perfect courses too.

In the meantime, I'll keep working through the list, there are a ridiculous number of courses available here at Links Corner. Thank god!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

The download in the original post no longer works. With it being a great resource, could it perhaps be fixed? :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Adelade wrote: December 20th, 2021, 6:17 pm The download in the original post no longer works. With it being a great resource, could it perhaps be fixed? :smile:
Fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out. :tiphat: