East Lake

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Re: East Lake

Post by braden1308 »

braden1308 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Adelade wrote: April 28th, 2020, 3:26 pm Did a little bit of practice mode sightseeing.

-It feels like the "Rough" plays as deep rough, which may be confusing since there are other areas that are called "Deep Grass" and because there is "Rough" in the fairway-1stcut blend.
-Perhaps you already know but the 5th hole only has 1 single pin unlike the other holes.

I think I saw a decent amount of green areas with kinder slopes without pins.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to say that it looks wonderful :smile: I remember the old version was monstrously long from the back tees, cant wait to see if I will have to use the mid or forward tees for the tournament version :laugh:
Once this version is sorted out there will be a tournament version. I think the tournament course plays about 500 yards or so longer
I have renamed the rough to deep rough to cut down on confusion and I did mean to put that in the notes about number 5's pins.
NateMullins

Post by NateMullins »

Great to see this course getting a makeover and Glenn back in designer mode - have enjoyed many of his tournament (and members) courses - overall this is a huge improvement in both looks and playability than the old version. Textures are certainly a solid improvement.

Played 2 rounds on the beta, both breezy, first round had moderate/medium and second had moderate/fast (all challenging) greens. They're definitely tougher at faster speeds, but aside from the borderline pin on 5, I didn't find anything unfair, just challenging. As Glenn mentioned, especially at faster settings, keeping the approach shot below the hole is imperative. On a number of holes, you're almost better off just short of the green than 10+ past the hole with a downhill putt, especially with a substantial break. Overall, I was impressed by the greens and elevation work. Just need some more pins on some holes and to perhaps check the slopes on/near a handful of them.

It's hard to gauge how much the faster settings were responsible for the 9-shot difference in scores (60 vs. 69). Round 1 I was on fire with the snap, missing just one fairway and hitting 100% GIR, which basically never happens. Made several long putts of 20+ feet and could have easily broken 60 if one of a couple 10-12 footers dropped. Round 2 was much more back to earth, missed 6 fairways and 6 greens but also made very few putts over 5 feet. In tournament conditions, I imagine this will be somewhat of a beast, but with still ample birdie/eagle chances if you swing well and stay under the hole.

I had similar confusion with the rough as mentioned - seems like a number of shots that said "rough" reacted more like deep rough, and vice versa. The edges between the first cut and primary rough are a bit sharp given the color contrast and no apparent seam blends there. Also, there was some cloning of shrubs near the water and clubhouse (which itself is quite well done) and a couple other places like hole 2 - bunkers are well done though I got under a BIG lip at 17 and the shot bounced off it and remained in the trap, was kinda funny actually.

Again, excellent work so far and I look forward to the final/full version!
Elite Classic, Panoramic except Close-up on/near green
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Glenn,
You've created another great venue here with East Lake. I know that most people have replied with comments on playability and NOT cosmetics, but there are a couple of areas I just wanted to mention. Since this course is in real life a "members only" private club, and probably the most elite in the Atlanta area, I was considering some of the textures used. Greens and fairways look great, but IMHO, the texture on the tee box areas, could look a little more "manicured", and smooth. Also, the heavy rough around all of the bunkers almost looks a bit "too heavy". The grass looks almost unnaturally coarse and large to me. That, too, maybe could be scaled back a little and look more "refined". I was, unfortunately, playing out of a couple of those bunkers when I really noticed it.

Since I'm a novice who's only exploring the APCD right now.....I know It's not my place to question a seasoned designer's texture choices or anything. I'm just offering up my viewpoint on the course. I'm sure glad you decided to include it in the LINKS library of courses. I always enjoy playing recreations of real courses, since I'll probably never play them in reality.

Thanks for your time............Ron
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the comments. I do agree the rough areas could use scaled down but to re-scale the rough would also mean having to re-scale hundreds of seam blends and I don't think I want to get into that. My rust with the APCD is showing :oops: The tee areas could also be scaled down but the same thing, seam blends.

I don't think I will get into that right now as I am working on getting the tournament course ready and am too far along to have to scale down two courses. The scale of the rough had been pointed out before but I had already started work on the tournament course and doubling the work is something I don't have the time for. If I would have been thinking about it before I started to change the pars, yardages and adding the custom tees, etc....doing one course still would have been a lot of work but doable in time.

Being out of designing for the past couple of years really makes you realize how much there is too remember in the APCD.

Next course after East Lake will be better :cheers1:

Glenn
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

Glenn,
I think creating a new planar for the rough and using Select Face on the blends and using the All of Type button would make redoing the blends pretty painless, although I know how it is when you think you're almost done and find days/weeks more work to do. :wallbash:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Like I said I was rusty and there was a lot to remember but I have remembered a easy fix for the scaling so no problem to do both courses, luckily I did my blends in a way to make this possible. So I will probably have the courses ready pretty soon. Once again thank for the comments everyone.

Glenn :cheers1:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Glenn, please check you PM's when you have time.
Thanks
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I have uploaded a final members version and am still working on the Tour Championship version which I had hoped to have ready by now but time has not been on my side lately. Another week or two and it should be ready. I hope you enjoy playing the members course, I have made a few texture changes and I think the course looks much better.

Glenn :cheers1:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Glen waiting in anticipation :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Beautiful rendition Glenn, thanks so much
Regards
Pete