[Req.] List of now-free APCD Pay courses?

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
pmgolf

Re: [Req.] List of now-free APCD Pay courses?

Post by pmgolf »

john_iv wrote: April 21st, 2020, 7:36 amI didn't get a chance to try Mike Jones' Perfect Golf when it came out, maybe I'll check the forums here if there are threads for it.
Perfect Golf isn't exactly promoted here - kinda like cold sores and athletes foot. That's where many of our former Linksters went. You might have luck googling "perfect golf forum".

Pete
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

I wasn't clear on the schism and whether it was acrimonious at the time (2016?) since I got back into Links 2K3 in 2017. Presumably the former forums had the backstory. Is there an unemotional recap for the way it played out? :)
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Discuss what you want, but don't pretend to be unaware that discussing competitor's products will get those devoted to Links upset. :rant:

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

john_iv wrote: April 21st, 2020, 6:44 pm I wasn't clear on the schism and whether it was acrimonious at the time (2016?) since I got back into Links 2K3 in 2017. Presumably the former forums had the backstory. Is there an unemotional recap for the way it played out? :)
It is a half finished game, big promises, delivered on nothing. Developers have now vanished to other ventures. It's well and truly dead from any development standpoint. Being online reliant to function, how long it will work for is anyone's guess.

You can play solo rounds or rounds against another person but that's pretty much it. No season type modes, no AI players etc.

Links or some of the other old golf games provide fully featured golf titles. I'm using Links 2003, Links LS 2000, PGA 2000, Tiger Woods and Golden Bear Challenge. All of these games are great and have their own particular strengths. It makes no difference to me if another golf game is ever released, seriously don't need it! :thumbup:

Links 2003 remains with a very active community behind it as well.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

Thanks, their forums do indicate the userbase is languishing with no word from DEV. Seems they lost the Nicklaus name too. I'd take a look at it for maybe $10 but not the current $34. :)

Ah well, I've collected about 400 Links 2K3 courses since I came back and find I prefer it still to any of the latest other PC offerings including TGC 2019. Need to get through playing about 45 more to round it out.

John IV
www.mameui.info
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

john_iv wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:26 amAh well, I've collected about 400 Links 2K3 courses since I came back and find I prefer it still to any of the latest other PC offerings including TGC 2019. Need to get through playing about 45 more to round it out.
The really high end Links 2003 courses are great in both visuals and playability. I'm not sure how you play the game but I click and after years of pro click I'm finding champ click a real fun challenge. I'm unbiased to games and can say Links 2003 really is an excellent golf game. On a Windows 10 PC, only Links 2003 and Golden Bear Challenge run virtually problem free for most users. Links 2003 is an excellent offering for the game of golf.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

I'm a real time swing guy with a logitech marbleman trackball, currently at pro/black. Even though the knock on Links has always been 'playing on a postcard' with its lack of movement etc. I just love the colors and images of a course done right (vs. the oddly bland 3d offerings/trees of modern engines). It was amazing discovering the 2003T high texture work of the best authors after only having Microsoft's first party courses for so long.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was a rule against using real courses as PTP, right?
cougar24

Post by cougar24 »

Jimbo wrote: April 25th, 2020, 5:31 am Correct me if I'm wrong but there was a rule against using real courses as PTP, right?
You are correct, Jimbo.
They did that so the real courses wouldn't come after them for trying to make money on their courses. I think some designers got around that by creating fictional courses that were similar to real famous ones.
A few real courses were made "exclusives" to apcd - courses.com supporters but were eventually released to everyone a month or two later.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I used to work in royalties. :laugh: