The National-Old Course - Beta-V1.0

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
sagevanni

Re: The National-Old Course - Beta-V1.0

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Pete......

Okay.......got it....So you think I have captured the course.....????? The green without a standard fringe is playing ok...????

I can make the present fringe an actual standard defined fringe.......

I I get enough people saying do that....I will................In fact I am going to do that and submit and another beta when done......how's that...?????

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Ok sage but playing ok without it, i did notice a small area near one of the greens (can't remember witch) that said "flat" not sure if that makes a difference to playing though
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Unless Im completely wrong and missing something, there is no technical category for fringe that the game can automatically recognize. If your caddie suggests a putter for some fringes, it should be because they are set to same physics as greens. Not saying there is anything wrong whatsoever with that, but I dont think many courses are like that? Normally fringes play exactly like fairways within Links. Would love to be enlightened in case Im wrong.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pete

Post by Pete »

If you check out Wentworth you will find fringe along the edge of the fairways & greens
Pete

Post by Pete »

I may be wrong about it selecting putter around the fringe around the green though but if you do select putter it plays almost like it's on the green
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Pete wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:08 pm I may be wrong about it selecting putter around the fringe around the green though but if you do select putter it plays almost like it's on the green
There's a possibility that a green fringe could be labeled as a GREEN, if a seam blend is stretched out wide. The wider a seam blend is spread out, the more of the actual seam blended surface will contain the green textures. The same thing would apply to the rough side of that seam blend. It's also possible for you to be on a fringe, but the lie might show up as being ROUGH. This is why I use narrow seam blends with a fringe texture in between.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Fringe plays like green - it's just a little slower. At least the wind doesn't affect it.

Pete
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I feel What I need to know after looking at the green to fairway blend is, Do I need to add a fringe area around the green defined as "fringe" the way Danny described it....????

Thanks for any and all the input......!!!!! :smile:

Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Really enjoyed my round! Wonderful course Sage! It not all that challenging perhaps but not too bad for my liking, I like that you went with deep rough instead of normal rough, keeps it from being a pushover. My new favourite Sage-course, thanks for making it! :clapping: Found some things, nothing particularly big.

-Two "Deep Grass" textures seem to have a bit sharp transition between their near and mid versions, not sure if the mids are as intended. Its the deep grass closest to the fairways, and the other is the one closest to the cart path on 8th. I like the textures, but the mids stand out a bit as having extreme scaling compared to other textures on the course.

-One specific tree object seems corrupted (or something) for me, its the one you sort of shoot over on 15th approach, I also see it on the fairway on hole 5. When close to the object, it looks (and behaves) perfectly normal, its only when seen from large distances that they seem to get replaced by big blocks of random graphics for me. I only noticed it because I saw it from 15th back tee on my Landing Cam that I use instead of Top Cam, but I can also see it when testing on 5th from the furthest fairway bunkers. No clue if the problem is only on my end or not.

The Panorama stand out a bit next to the otherwise wonderful visuals of the course. Maybe Im being picky. Have you checked if the AusXPak perhaps has some Australian pano that might fit? Or among those gator shared recently? I so far personally struggle with panoramas, never being very happy with those I make... so I wouldnt blame you if you arent interested in improving it.

Finally 4 really minor things that I hesitate to bring up at all... but you know me... I dont like holding back things I notice, at least not when its a beta course. Feel extremely free to ignore these trifles.
-The fairway is tiling a bit, no big deal.
-One of the tree objects is cloned a noticeable bit, I perhaps only noticed it because it seems to be the largest and greenest tree and because I was looking for it. I dont personally care.
-I like when there is a small strip of normal rough between fairway and deep rough, it just feels better from a gameplay perspective to not be so heavily punished for missing the wairway by one little inch. But I very much hope you dont go through the trouble of changing that with this course, Im merely mentioning it as a future course suggestion if anything.
-Hole previews seem to indicate different hole handicaps than those on the scorecard. No Im definitely not asking for this to be changed, it just intrigued me.

Really lovely course :yes:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Adelade,

Glad you like the course.

I will say something 1st off.......Everyone has their opinion on things, especially another designer.

Thanks for taking the time to lay out your issues. I have to say most are personal preference...which is OKay.

I will look into everything.