Wahat Al Sahraa

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Stephen Sullivan

Wahat Al Sahraa

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

or Desert Oasis is something I'm going to work on while we are locked down. Tried looking at some real courses, but find the whole Google Earth elevation thing very tiresome. It's over 7200 yards and will have 3 or 4 sets of tees. The "desert" will be playable dirt, as I hate setting it as a hazard.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (341.76 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Pete

Re: Wahat Al Sahraa

Post by Pete »

Nice one
Stephen Sullivan

Moving on slowly. The front 9 is now laid out.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (419.97 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Looking good Steve, I started a course, completed 1 hole and feel like giving up as it looks well terrible
Stephen Sullivan

Keep going. APCD is difficult to learn (or relearn in my case). I'm doing the easier stuff at the moment. I will have to watch the tutorials on seam blending again.
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Steve, do you lay out your course first, and at what point do you do your elevations?
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I really like the looks of the layout! Some great golf shots are going to be needed!

Pete
Stephen Sullivan

linksrevisited wrote: April 4th, 2020, 11:47 am Steve, do you lay out your course first, and at what point do you do your elevations?
It really depends. With this I did some work with the terrain builder after shaping the lakes. I then laid out the holes guided by the terrain and then put in tees and greens, followed by fairways and bunkers. Then it was on to adding rough and deep rough. The only paths will be between holes and between tee and fairway. Once the holes are laid out I will layout the area around the basic clubhouse.
Stephen Sullivan

pmgolf wrote: April 4th, 2020, 12:08 pm I really like the looks of the layout! Some great golf shots are going to be needed!

Pete
I did some reading up on the use of lakes, the main point that came out of it was that most of the time your lakes should be to the left of the hole as more golfers slice than hook. There will be more bunkers than are visible at the moment, but I want to lay it all out first.

I know the 3rd hole is going to be interesting from the back tee as you will have water both sides of the landing area with a bunker to the left. There is plenty of room though to lay up with a 5 or 3 wood, if you want to take a longer second into the green.
Stephen Sullivan

Working away slowly on this. Have blended and elevated up to the 14th hole so far. Here's a view over the course. From left to right, 9th green, 1st tee and 18th green. I've yet to decide on the way I want to plant it.

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (804.54 KiB) Viewed 4515 times