Colonial, Winged Foot West, Riviera, maybe more...

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
dorse72

Colonial, Winged Foot West, Riviera, maybe more...

Post by dorse72 »

Hey all, I thought I would post to fill everyone in on some important courses ya'll might be wondering about that are coming up. Last year I met Dan DeShaney when I stopped by LC to check on the latest courses for the 1st time in years. I discovered he was working up my beloved Wakonda, a course I've played and been to many times growing up in Iowa playing High school and college golf - I was blown away by his dedication to the course, it's an amazing place and has a famous reputation for being brutally hard. I even bartended there in college for a few months! I got to play every Monday, it was awesome. So I asked him if he would take my neglected projects and finish them off, a big ask.

My old laptop barely runs the APCD, it crashes constantly. I'm a photographer for the NBA and my new iMac just kills it with the pics, but it doesn't run the APCD. I'm not dedicated or smart enough to figure out the work arounds, so I just gave up after a brief renewed interest in the APCD - it's just so archaic. This was the reason for me just giving up, and my 3 kids and life too.

Anyways, after hrs of searching for my old un-locked courses, I finally found them and sent him Colonial and Riviera CC, another of my favorite courses and one I've been to on assignment for photography. The great news is Riviera was coming along great, I thought I had a great set of textures I made, and even managed to wrangle the 1" CONTOURS FOR THE GREENS at Riviera, how I'll keep secret, but this is huge having the exact green contours as the greens are amazing at Riviera.

Colonial, Dan will be working with some guys, probably Adelade to be one for correct pin placements, I'm sure they will find the exact spots the PGA Tour uses. I have 3 greens from Colonial with 1" green contours, one is #9, which causes lots of controversy. I've been there dozens of times and you can spin a wedge in the water so easily there. these green contours will solve the controversy once and for all I would think. The lines represent 1" contours, 43 lines give this green about 3-1/2' of drop from back-front. the numbers with arrows represent the degree of slope, NOT in feet or inches
Colonial CC #9-green contours.jpg
Colonial CC #9-green contours.jpg (238.07 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

Winged Foot West, Rospen gave me his blessing last year to update his old Winged Foot, he did a great job on this. It needs fresh grass, it needs a clubhouse, and it needs lengthened and bunkers need moved and adjusted as Gil Hanse renovated the course a couple years ago. I will try to do these on my old laptop. Dan will step in to help and give it a final look come May for the US Open there in mid-June of this year.

Would everyone be willing to pitch in $2-$3 each for 1" laser green contours from Strackaline? it is $100, I will buy it if I can get some help here. If so, that will be great as Winged Foot West has legendary green slopes and these will be exact! If so, I will use a Paypal for donations.

more projects were started but not finished...

Harding Park - had a great start but didn't finish. I think someone put one out, but if anyone wants it, let me know.
LaCosta Resort and Spa- have a good start and topo overlayed I believe. 3D clubhouse almost done to it, started a long time ago.
Seminole, which I'm keeping for myself
Southern Hills CC - Rospen's design, can't give out
Old Head GL - available if someone wants it

email me at dorse72@gmail.com
sagevanni

Re: Colonial, Winged Foot West, Riviera, maybe more...

Post by sagevanni »

Hi dorse72,

I was seriously thinking about Old Head and even started my own.......I would be honored to take a look at yours...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find a way to get it to me and I will take a look......

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I also forgot...if I can find them :/
Doral Blue Monster, now TPC Doral - someone can have it
TPC Scottsdale - someone can have it
chad

Post by chad »

I'd like to pitch in some $...what is your PayPal address?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Heck Eric. It would be worth a few bucks to me to learn something about those 1" contours, and how they work. :smile: I'll toss in 10 bucks if you give me your PayPal address...

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

That looks like a treasure trove of course material, thank you for informing and offering some of them out :thumbup: I will email as instructed but I wanted to post here as well.

First of all - Rospen's courses (who I assume must be Ross Mackenzie), Winged Foot West and Southern Hills CC, both these were actually on my list of courses to look into editing, and I had plans on trying to contact Ross Mackenzie about it via the old email address provided in Southers Hills' readme. I planned on taking a closer look at Southern Hills before doing so to decide what edits I would want to make to it (if any), but I knew Winged Foot West (beta) is a course I like a lot and wanted to at least add pins to, and likely maybe overlook other things such as textures. I had no idea you had them or were working on them, so Im pleased to see that I can cross them off my list. Cant wait to see what you and Dan come up with regarding Winged Foot West! :clapping:

Harding Park - Well I would love to look at it to see what needs to be done, Im not sure I want to promise anything because I feel Im steadily getting swamped by all the projects I want to take on..(my own fault) I just think it might be a shame if it gets left behind forever, so if no one else will work on it I will at least want to deeply consider it unless it is in extremely early stages maybe.

LaCosta Resort and Spa - Is this the champions course of "Omni La Costa Resort & Spa (Carlsbad)"? Dang, it looks like its literally a mere stone's throw away from Four Seasons Resort Aviara (shoutout to Microsoft - and for offering that one for free, I really liked it back in the day when I only had the 6+4 microsoft courses :laugh:) Perhaps its a course you dont want to part with since you dont mention anything specific regarding that with that one course, but at first glance it looks like a layout I could definitely get behind. So if you're not planning on finishing it I would love to take a look at it and see if I would want to take it on. Again, I dont want to promise anything about WHEN I would want to work on it until I get a look at it. (Of course I would like you finishing it even more)

Doral Blue Monster - this one's interesting. Is this a version updated from a course state before or after Glenn Braden's 2011 update? Or is it a completely separate version? I love this course in its 2011 version, and from what I remember from last time I played it I dont really think it needs any updates. I mean sure, no course is perfect and everything could probably be made to look slightly better in one way or another, but I dont remember anything special. Perhaps the course in real life is updated I suppose (I dont know). Either way its very interesting to me that you bring it up since I like the course so much and would love to know more.

As for Scottsdale, I considered it for my list of courses that I might want to edit, but in the end decided that I thought it was good enough as it is, at least in terms of me personally not wanting to make edits to it at this point in time.

Stracka thing I found in the past while looking around, I did become quite curious about how it works (do you instantly get access to ALL courses available for example for the same price?), however I saw that they did not seem to have the course Im working on, nor some of the courses I mostly consider making next, so I didnt think further about it. While its certainly nice to have extremely accurate greens, I personally honestly dont care much at all for inch-for-inch perfection for courses, I just want greens to have good playability and resemble the real thing to a reasonable degree. Sometimes even a 'reasonable resemblance' might not be so easy to achieve of course, if having very limited access to material, and in those particular cases I think detailed charts seem nice. For Colonial I dont think its needed, especially not since you already have one for the 9th green. I realize full well that thats only my personal opinion. [Edit: I guess you were talking about Winged Foot West, I dont know anything about that one]
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

What about Winged Foot East that would be a great course to do also right next door to Winged Foot West.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Steve,

I'm working on Winged Foot East......Not sure when I'll get around to getting it done.......If someone wants to look at what I have and finish it you are more than welcome. I feel it's well done so far.......it also has all the west course hole laid out........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rxoa80cs1gu3 ... 0.CRZ?dl=0

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

guys, the email was included at the bottom. someone has already generously donated $50, so we're off to a great start! I also got Cypress Pt, and National GL while I was at it. Now who can I hire to finish those off lol!

Stunned why someone wouldn't want the exact contours of the real course, your not actually playing the real course I hate to bring it up to everyone. putting is some 20-30% of the game. The breaks at Augusta National on #13, 15, & 16 aren't important? Thats why I've taken all the IRL courses with a grain of salt.

LaCosta is a Dick Wilson design that was renovated a few yrs ago, dick wilson did Doral and a few other great courses, it was a great design and maybe the old one can be found and brought back to life. dick Wilson made the long 'runway' tee boxes famous in the 50's & 60's, he also did work at Seminole. I played La Costa years ago and it was in terrible shape, its in a bowl and suffered from bad drainage. I think they filled it up with a base of sand and started again. I have pics to go along with the course btw. many great PGA events were held there - remember Tiger beating Tom Lehman in the dark on the only hole that was above water? good stuff

John Anderson did the original Blue Monster and was a great friend to me when I started it 2003!! wow, long ago. He taught me everything on the APCD, great dude. Rospen is also a great friend and is not coming back sadly ever. I would love to get to Australia and visit him. He put in loads of time doing Winged Foot & Southern Hills, I can remember him emailing me all the time and giving me peaks of his work on those 2 courses and asking my opinions. But again, we were just speculating at green contours because back then, we had nothing to go off of. And those are 2 courses like Augusta National & Oakmont, you HAVE to have the green contours close because they are from what I've heard, just scary.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im not talking about not wanting exact contours, Im talking about it being possible to enjoy courses even without that. As you said, many courses in the past were made without exact data, and were all those unenjoyable just because of that? No. Of course exact greens are nice, all Im saying is Im not asking anyone to go out of their way for it.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...