Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Post by Adelade »

linksrevisited wrote: February 10th, 2020, 2:07 pmIf I have one criticism, and as my initial round went on it began to annoy me more and more, was that from standing on the first tee, and I thought my screen settings were messed up, was that it appeared that I was playing in a very slight mist or fog. The graphics were not as sharp as any of the other courses that I have played and I play a lot weekly. Upon completing the round I immediately opened another course in my course list and the graphics were just fine being crisp.
Oh this is very interesting to me linksrevisited! I think (unless some other strange thing is going on) that you are onto something that I indeed had a very slight concern for but that I definitely did not expect anyone to actually notice on anything more than a subconscious level or express substantial thoughts on. I believe this is due to my work on making shadows less sharp for many objects, as I find many courses in the links library to have wayyy too sharp shadows, giving trees a very dry sort of look (if I can put it that way) that I dont enjoy. I many times did wonder if I was going overboard with it and perhaps I did. It was a learning process and some objects were harder than others to achieve what I wanted with, while trying to make sure there was no loss in quality. If using a very sunny sky for example it might be more obvious in the way you describe. I personally like the softer look and wouldnt say I can really imagine seeing a "slight fog" unless maybe I try extremely hard to, but I could probably imagine my course or at least the objects looking sort of "blurrier" than other courses if playing with either lower resolutions, lower in-links graphics slider settings, smaller monitor or further physical distance to the monitor. Perhaps one of those is part of the reason in your case.

Glad you bring it up and would love to hear other opinions about it too
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Hi Adelaide

Thanks for replying, being a landscape photographer myself my graphics are cranked up to the maximum for my frequent use of Photoshop as are my links 2k3 graphics.. Yes thinking about it, you are right it is the planting that is having this effect, and until reaching the 18th every hole was the same. The 18th was fine as there was little or no planting at all.

And yes I do play with sunny skies.

Steve
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Hm, my next thought was that maybe its something with your monitor, and then I immediately realized maybe its my own! I have never viewed any graphics from my course on any monitor than my own, and I remember not being fully satisfied with it back when I got it, changing around several monitor settings until I thought things looked more normal without being an expert about it. Now I got myself slightly worried :laugh: I will check if some full size screenshots look like Im used to on a couple other monitors tomorrow or something
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The "fuzziness" struck me as being an atmospheric look. I use a Nvidia GTX 1050 ti video card with 4 GB of VRAM, and have my screen set at maximum sharpness - 1680 x 1050 - connected to a 23" Samsung HDTV 720p. I'll check it out more closely.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: February 10th, 2020, 9:06 pm The "fuzziness" struck me as being an atmospheric look.

Pete
Yes! Muted and harmonious textures that give the course a very unique, relaxing atmosphere. I praised Adelade for this. I certainly consider the textures a major positive.

For those who have ever played a Steve Opfer course in any of the other golf sims, this course has a similar feel but better. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I think the "fuzziness" is an illusion caused by most of the shades of green being very similar. I noticed that right away, and there are no (or few) flower beds or other contrasty objects such as bare lodge-pole pines. It gives the course more of a 2D appearance in some views. But everything is so well done, I wouldn't change a thing, and I just managed a -17 a couple of days ago (Pro/Classic swing), so I'm not inclined to offer criticism at this point :thumbup:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: February 9th, 2020, 12:47 pmBeta testers arent easy to come by these days, especially for a first course. I asked in the open earlier when I was finalizing layout and think I was quite fortunate to have 2 signing up. Severe doglegs are pretty common where Im from, where I was member there was a full 90 degree par 4 and another not far from it, I hear what youre saying though and much appreciate it :thumbup:
I gave it a go myself Adelade. First full 18 hole round I have played since Bruce Wallace passed. After Bruce and I stopped playing, I only played a hole or 2 at a time when testing my course. I took a liking to playing champ click, with no top view and fast greens using the "challenging" conditions. To me these conditions create more realistic scores, and my skill emulates my skill in real life when I was playing regular. Back then my handicap was 10. I played against your recorded round and managed a 2 over par, which I was quite pleased with, considering I haven't played much for a long while. I took a double bogie on 14 to put me at 2 over. :ill: The course played nice. I enjoyed it. :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thats a lot of nice scores, my own record is a mere -5, and once I managed a +9 after 3 in the water on 18... Was hoping to hear if you'd play Dan :smile: happy you decided to give it a go after so long time and that it sounds like it went well. Im a fan of trying to emulate realistic scores too and play champ click without topcam like you, when I quit real golf I was actually pretty much same handicap as you, 11 I believe. Been thinking about trying to emulate that but I tried elite with shorter club distances once and it was still just too easy, especially around the greens. I think one day Ill try RTS elite with my real life club distances from mid tees or something and see if that does it.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I'm trying to get LSPN's Tour Administration to put Amedal in the LSPN Course Database so I can host a tournament there. I'm hoping you will have your 12 rounds in for the World Tour so I can make the tournament a handicapped one. :smile:

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

pmgolf wrote: February 5th, 2020, 2:51 am My only reservation is the 5th hole. It doesn't seem very realistic to see a double zig-zag hole like that - it kinda feels tricked-up and out-of-place.
It took me a while to figure out a way to play this one and not shoot a 13 or something. I finally settled on a 5-wood to the left, just so I can see the flag in the distance, then a 3-wood landing just in front of the green. It seems any over-hit faded or drawn driver is pure suicide :D