Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Re: Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Well done. It looks like your time was well spent, congratulations on the first.
What will be the next challenge?
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Adelade wrote: February 5th, 2020, 8:29 am I tried and failed to find the course you mentioned on google maps satellite view, I often enjoy checking courses out that way.

I realized that the text file for the recorded round tells a bit of a lie, it only seems to force pin positions to what they were in the recorded round.
That course, Oak Hill GC, was destroyed about fifteen years ago to make way for a circumferential highway around Richmond, VA. It only resides in my mind now. I played it 60 or 70 times over 35 years, and the zig-zag hole I mentioned was the 15th, and my favorite for requiring such strategy from the player.

When playing against a recorded player, the game defaults to the pin settings that the recorded player chose.

I'll give #5 a chance - it's certainly challenging!

Pete
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

Ahhh, so you finally set it free! I am looking forward to playing the final version!
:cheers1:
:tiphat:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

pmgolf wrote: February 5th, 2020, 12:33 pmThat course, Oak Hill GC, was destroyed about fifteen years ago to make way for a circumferential highway around Richmond, VA. It only resides in my mind now. I played it 60 or 70 times over 35 years, and the zig-zag hole I mentioned was the 15th, and my favorite for requiring such strategy from the player.
Ah thats sad. There arent many (any?) real courses for Links from VA or WV are there? I always wanted to play something decent from there... I know theres Westfields but Im usually no fan of Microsoft courses so havent tried it.
Ian Wells wrote: February 5th, 2020, 11:57 am Adelade,
Well done. It looks like your time was well spent, congratulations on the first.
What will be the next challenge?
Ian
Thanks Ian, hows your own course coming along by the way? (Actually, was that one perhaps from VA/WV? I remember finding it on GE but only remember it was somewhere mountainous in eastern USA). My next main project will be the real South Korean course Nine Bridges at Jeju Island which I already slightly started a few months ago, still working on in-general large scale elevations. I have a ton of smaller projects in mind such as minor edits to existing courses as well though and I imagine working about 50/50 on those alongside Nine Bridges, but who knows. Speaking of which:

John Brooks if you read this, a few of your courses were among those I planned on asking if I could update, please let me know how to contact you (you still havent seen my pm to you from months ago)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
rolle

Post by rolle »

WoW, Another Swedish course :notworthy:

I look forward to play it, I hope I can squeeze it in, in one of the seasons I play :pcwhack:

thank you very much :)
RTS Elite

Rounds played: 4536
Courses played: 798
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Hi, I've just played a round, and I have to say it's a very nice-looking course, looks very natural. No obvious flaws such as floating trees, concrete rough, etc. I did find a few holes to be what I'd consider "tricked up", that figure-8 fairway on the (4th?) hole for example, and some very severe doglegs, more like boomerangs. I think if you'd had other people beta test it for you, you would have had this sort of input before releasing it and maybe eased up on some of that. But enough whining, it's a great addition, especially for a first course. Now I am going on 67, so I hope we don't have to wait another 14 years for the next one! :scared: :thumbup:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

FOOOOORE! wrote: February 9th, 2020, 11:38 amanother 14 years for the next one! :scared: :thumbup:
:laugh: I hope so too.

Beta testers arent easy to come by these days, especially for a first course. I asked in the open earlier when I was finalizing layout and think I was quite fortunate to have 2 signing up. Severe doglegs are pretty common where Im from, where I was member there was a full 90 degree par 4 and another not far from it, I hear what youre saying though and much appreciate it :thumbup:
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Funny thing is, on those severe doglegs I gave it my usual treatment, which is to hit a driver as hard as I can with draw or fade -- and immediately hit the trees 50 yards out I hadn't previously noticed. You made sure no one can "cheat" their way around the course :tongue:
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Well congratulations on your very first course, and it doesn't matter how long it took, the course is excellent.

If I have one criticism, and as my initial round went on it began to annoy me more and more, was that from standing on the first tee, and I thought my screen settings were messed up, was that it appeared that I was playing in a very slight mist or fog. The graphics were not as sharp as any of the other courses that I have played and I play a lot weekly. Upon completing the round I immediately opened another course in my course list and the graphics were just fine being crisp.

I know this is a small criticism, and who I am to say so having never completed a course to date. The -7 on my first round was good to see but it wasn't easy.

Maybe it's just me, re the mist etc be interesting to hear what others think.

Steve
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

FOOOOORE! wrote: February 9th, 2020, 11:05 pm Funny thing is, on those severe doglegs I gave it my usual treatment, which is to hit a driver as hard as I can with draw or fade -- and immediately hit the trees 50 yards out I hadn't previously noticed. You made sure no one can "cheat" their way around the course :tongue:
Oh I could see how that would ruin the experience, Im sorry :tongue: :laugh: There may indeed be a couple trees deliberately placed to make it require an extra moment of thought for greedy plays :whistle:

It must be awfully inconvenient to be a real-life course designer where you cant just conveniently plant a fullgrown tree instantly or move it where you want it ;) I've been having in mind that if I make another fictional course someday I would probably try the challenge of laying out the land first and try fit a course to it afterwards. Basic layout for Amedal was made so long ago and which such primitive APCD knowledge that that had never been an option even if the thought had existed.