Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Post by Adelade »

I know I've been saying that it's almost finished for basically a year, but now it finally is. Please allow me to celebrate for myself :kicking:
Amedal GK is completed as a full release (v1.00) and has been uploaded to Links Corner. Will post again when it is available for download.

The course has actually not been Beta tested by anyone except myself since an Alpha version, but I did not want to stamp it as a Beta since I have tested it very thoroughly myself and I absolutely consider it fully complete. People have different systems but if any problems actually arise let me know and I will strongly consider making an update at once.

Amedal GK is a fictional course set in inland Sweden in hybrid woodland/parkland style. It is made to be realistic and authentic both in terms of environment and gameplay/difficulty balance. It is a challenging course made for top pro tournament golf, while keeping that casual municipal flair and feel to it underneath at the same time.

Some screenshots:
Attachments
Amedal GK Screen H17 (splash).jpg
Amedal GK Screen H17 (splash).jpg (422.24 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Amedal GK Screen H16 (splash).jpg
Amedal GK Screen H16 (splash).jpg (483.01 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Amedal GK Screen H09 (splash).jpg
Amedal GK Screen H09 (splash).jpg (160.05 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Amedal GK Screen H08 (splash).jpg
Amedal GK Screen H08 (splash).jpg (553.69 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Amedal GK Screen H04 (splash).jpg
Amedal GK Screen H04 (splash).jpg (550.48 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Last edited by Adelade on February 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Re: Amedal GK - Fictional Course Full Release

Post by Adelade »

Some excerpts from the Readme that I wanted to say here too:

It sure took a lot longer than I planned, I never intended to be as thorough as I ended up being. I kept saying to myself that I was not going to spend as much time on details on the upcoming steps in the designing process, but every single time I of course ended up doing the complete opposite... I am absolutey hopeless in my perfectionism and don't know what to do about it. Help!

That is NOT to say this course is anything close to perfection. There are definitely many areas that could be improved on, I know it's not a perfect creation and never will be. It certainly has been a learning experience and I know better now how to go about things for future courses, but despite being a perfectionist I still somehow managed ending up feeling quite satisfied, so Im pretty confident that everyone could enjoy a round at Amedal GK, unless they hate this kind of course type perhaps. Everyone's tastes are different so I'm not counting on anyone to love it, but I'm pretty curious indeed what others would think. I'm mostly making this course for my own enjoyment (because I have no idea if people are even going to bother trying it) - I know I will absolutely love playing tournaments on this course in my career seasons - but I see no reason to not TRY to provide something others might enjoy as much as me. So please do let me know what you think about the course if you play it. All kinds of feedback is very welcome even if small details, especially negative parts (I mean it).

Space for course notes at the download page was tight, so I really wanted to emphasize the credits/thank you section here instead. (They can be found in the Readme too):

Big Thanks to:
-Various designers who generously gave me permission to use textures or objects from their course/s or other sources, some through private contact and others publicly:
Textures: McCoist, Lez Marwick, Tim Boche, Flaz, Dan DeShaney, Links Corner public downloads (including the AusPack)
Alpha textures: McCoist, Lez Marwick, Stewart Parker, Thomas Wagner, Paul Seaman (through Links Corner public download), Peter Beckwith (through Links Corner public download).
2D Objects: Tim Boche, McCoist, Thomas Wagner, Links Corner public downloads (Daniel, AusPack, Colin Jones), Lez Marwick, Derrick Summers, Stewart Parker.
(Note that ALL those textures and 2d objects (and some of the alpha textures) found on my course are versions I have since edited to suit my course.)
-Alpha testers Jeff Shillings aka TexAgs and Still Linksing aka ...., both of whom contributed directly to some improvements on the course.
-Paul Seaman's APCD text guide.
-Dan DeShaney's 3D tutorial.
-Although they may not have been directly involved in the making of this course, I would also like to thank gator and Armand, a couple members of Links Corner who I feel have been especially helpful to me several times in various pursuits related to Links or APCD.
My biggest thank you has to go to the following two special places though, thank you so much:
-Lez Marwick, whose Youtube videos have been absolutely invaluable!
-The Links community as a whole. For keeping the game alive, for members kindly continuing to share knowledge, resources and interest in innumerous separate helpful instances. It is impossible to mention everyone, you know who you are. If Links Corner hadn't been around I wouldn't even have been able to get Links working 1.5 year ago when I returned... Thank you everyone who has ever played Links or designed any course for it, thereby contributing to me getting to finish this enjoyable course project. Extra thank you to those still being active to this day and anyone reading this.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Adelade,

The course looks Fantastic....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that par 8th....!!!!!!!

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Well done! Glad you finally got it released. Looks great! :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
gator

Post by gator »

Adelade,

Congrats on completing your course! Looking forward to playing a few rounds on what looks to be a wonderful course. One of very few Links courses ever set in Sweden. Any assistance/help I may have provided you - my pleasure.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I looked Amedal over, and I have to say - terrific! Great textures, wonderful job with the plantings - very realistic looking, both trees and grasses. I like the rough textures with the long grasses coming out of it in some cases and also without it. Heavy rough plays as tough as it looks - but fair. The layout of the holes, with one exception, is excellent. And most amazing to me are the quality pin placements - very rare to see all of them so good. In fact, I find it amazing to see how well done this course is. Real quality work!

My only reservation is the 5th hole. It doesn't seem very realistic to see a double zig-zag hole like that - it kinda feels tricked-up and out-of-place. I've played holes that zig and then zag like that (the Par 5 15th hole at Oak Hill Golf Club in Richmond, Va.), and it was terrific fun. The hole went straight out far enough where a good drive could get to the middle of the fairway's turn to the right (the zig), and then if you had hugged the right side well enough you would have the opportunity to hit a draw around the fairway's final left bend (the zag) to get to the green with your second shot. There was a small creek right in front of the green so you had to hit that second shot well.

I would rate the other 17 holes somewhere above 4.60 out of 5.00, which puts you in the company of Mike Jones, Robert Miller, Glenn Braden and Stewart Parker. It's that good!

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Real Nice Adelade. Good work! :thumbup: :clapping:

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Andy was quite quick with it, the course available since long ago! Link: https://www.linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2510
I feel elated about it being finished and released, but its also definitely a bit of an odd feeling to be finished after so long time of working on it... Weird! :laugh:

Thanks everyone. Pete I think what you say about the 5th is quite fair, it is definitely a bit of an experiment and I would likely have done it different in details if I designed it from the group up again. It actually looked yet more tricky before alpha testers helped me tweak it for more realism - for which Im very grateful. Perhaps it would fit in a slightly more experimental course, thats true, but I also personally really like playing the hole every time I get to it, it might be the kind of hole that grows on you after the initial - well - shock :laugh: I plan on leaving it as it is either way, its good to be a little controversial right? ; ) Always interesting to hear comments about that hole in particular. I tried and failed to find the course you mentioned on google maps satellite view, I often enjoy checking courses out that way.

I realized that the text file for the recorded round tells a bit of a lie, it only seems to force pin positions to what they were in the recorded round. A bit weird when the wind and greens can do different things to the recorded round's ball than they show and do to your own, but okay thats... good for compatibility with different settings preferences I suppose?

I also thought of some other things I wish I had remembered to credit... Such as Still Linksing kindly allowing me to keep bothering him with questions for feedback beyond and after the testing, Sage for being very inspiring with his quick and plenty work with his courses, at times getting me out of smaller or bigger breaks from working on APCD. Dan for fixing my issue with accessing 2001 objects among other things. Wonder what else I forgot... :/
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks for the mention Adelade...!!!!!

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
BruMu

Post by BruMu »

The fact it took you a year shows in the quality of this course. Simply stunning, a magnificent piece of art, well done and thank you for sharing. :thumbup:
These are the Good Ole Days, just wait and see.