2001 Courses

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Stu501

2001 Courses

Post by Stu501 »

Hi all,

Is there a way to import a 2001 course layout only into apcd 2003 ?? I don't want to start from scratch
I am too lazy I just want to seam blend and update textures on a nice course of mine done in 2001.

Stu
I would like to thank my parents.....especially my mum and dad
Danny D

Re: 2001 Courses

Post by Danny D »

Stu501 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 4:50 am Hi all,

Is there a way to import a 2001 course layout only into apcd 2003 ?? I don't want to start from scratch
I am too lazy I just want to seam blend and update textures on a nice course of mine done in 2001.

Stu
Hi Stu.
1: Have you actually tried? ----- If not, try opening it in the 2003 APCD
2: what is the file extension of the 2001 course? ----- If it's a .CRZ file, it should open in the 2003 APCD. If it has to be converted from a 2001 course to a 2003 course, try making a copy of it and converting it, and then seeing if it will open as a .CRZ in the 2003 APCD.
3: Is the old 2001 course playable? ----- Was wondering if it is a completed and playable course, or if you were still building it when you stopped working on it.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Stu501

Post by Stu501 »

Danny, it is a 2001 finished course with lots of 3d the ext is crz. created in links 2001
i have tried opening it in 2003 and it just hangs then stops saying loading triangles.

Stu
Stu501

Post by Stu501 »

The course is completed and playable it is an excellent course to play How do i convert the course

Stu
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stu501 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 9:56 am Danny, it is a 2001 finished course with lots of 3d the ext is crz. created in links 2001
i have tried opening it in 2003 and it just hangs then stops saying loading triangles.

Stu
Try this. Since it's an old course, you will no longer have the "object library" for it. What generally happens is, as the course is loading, the APCD will stop and throw up a little pop-up box warning you that the object library wasn't detected, and it won't be able to display any of the 3D objects. You must OK that pop-up for it to continue and load. THE PROBLEM IS the damned pop-up comes up on the desktop UNDERNEATH the APCD, and you can't see it, therefore, you won't even know it's there. And then, when you shut down the APCD, the pop-up disappears before you can see it. So try to load it again, and this time when it hangs, try to minimize the APCD and get to your desktop so you can acknowledge it and continue.... :thumbup: (if you can't figure out how to minimize the APCD, switch it to a windowed mode before you try to load the course, and just move the window)

Good luck. Let us know if that is what happened.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Danny D wrote: December 18th, 2019, 2:01 pm
Stu501 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 9:56 am Danny, it is a 2001 finished course with lots of 3d the ext is crz. created in links 2001

Stu
(if you can't figure out how to minimize the APCD, switch it to a windowed mode before you try to load the course, and just move the window)

Good luck. Let us know if that is what happened.

Dan
Just in case it helps... Sometimes pressing ALT+TAB could send the main program in your screen to the taskbar and let you see what's behind. Hope it helps and may the APDC be with you! :tomato:
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
or was it the hand of fate that seemed to fit just like a glove?"
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stu501 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 9:58 am The course is completed and playable it is an excellent course to play How do i convert the course

Stu
Hi again Stu. The only courses that have to be converted are the older courses that came with older versions of Links that have a file extension other than .CRZ. Since Links 2001 courses already have the .CRZ extension, they should open in Links 2003 also. No need for conversion.

Just for the record, if your course had a lot of 3D objects in it, the APCD will not extract them when you try to open it now. The only way to get those back is to have the original OBJECT LIBRARY that was in the APCD program that you built the course in. Since it's a 2001 course, I'm guessing those 3D objects were from the 2001 APCD object library. To get those back you will need to import the 2001 object library into your 2003 APCD, and then re-plant them.

For all those reading this, be aware that any time you try to open other creators courses, the APCD will not extract the 3D objects when you try to open it in the APCD.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Dan are you able to confirm whether there are no problems caused by opening and then saving a course containing 3d objects that arent in your library? Asking since I will soon be needing help with the 2001 objects for a fence onto my course as I mentioned to you some time ago (and all attempts to get the 2001 objects into my apcd library have failed.)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: December 19th, 2019, 10:12 am Dan are you able to confirm whether there are no problems caused by opening and then saving a course containing 3d objects that arent in your library? Asking since I will soon be needing help with the 2001 objects for a fence onto my course as I mentioned to you some time ago (and all attempts to get the 2001 objects into my apcd library have failed.)
Not sure I understand what you're asking Adelade. I remember you asking if I would plant a 3D fence for you on your course because you were having trouble importing and using the 2001 object library. Are you wondering if you will be able to open it after I install the fence, and then save it again with the fence still there? Hmmmm.

Since it won't be able to find any 3D objects because you don't have the OL, I don't see how you can save it with the fence, once you re-open it in your APCD. Would you like to test that now and find out? How about I plant a 2001 OL 3D fence down the edge of hole one on the course you sent me to test, and then send the course to you so you can test it? Better yet, why don't we figure out why you can't import the OL into your planting set?

Dan
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Danny D wrote: December 19th, 2019, 11:28 am Are you wondering if you will be able to open it after I install the fence, and then save it again with the fence still there? Hmmmm.
Yeah exactly. Alternatively if someone were up for it, I could test it out myself if someone uploaded a clean stock APCD with the 2001 library already added to it. I believe it would be enough to just upload only the object.lib file and the category folders within APCD > Object > that concern the 3D categories in question. Then I could add those to a clean APCD myself. However Im very down to test what you described too.

As for merging the library, the very librarymerge program froze in the middle of the merging process whenever I tested it, and I tested all kinds of things before I gave up, always same problem. Im not super keen on going back and troubleshooting all that yet again unless the method of saving a course including a 3d object not in the library fails.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...