Glen Abbey Update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Re: Glen Abbey Update

Post by braden1308 »

I have been looking at the course in Google Earth and have noticed the difference with some bunkers that were either changed or that didn't come out right in the design process, also some bunkers that are not there anymore. This can be addressed with some ease so it will be done.

Jimbo I read over your thoughts and will try to take care of those as much as possible, one thing I will look at is a possible replanting of the course to play as if it's summer not fall. What are thoughts on that?
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Personally, I dont tend to like autumn aspects much in Links courses but Glen Abbey has been one of the few exceptions, I didnt look at it lately but I definitely remember liking the colours of the course quite a bit (other than the stream texture maybe :whistle:). All your choice I'd say, but maybe if you're already making two versions anyway for other reasons - and if its not causing any inconvenience - maybe it'd be nice to have one of the versions stay fall and another replanted?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

That may be possible, tournament course summer.....member course fall, we'll see how it goes
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Adelaide...of "course" the autumn colours reflected the old "Fall Finish" (aka "Keep your card while the "names" stay home")😉
The fall colours are wonderful-especially that tree that I dinged!
I didn't mention the season-I'm comfortable either way.
The issue that grabs my attention (in addition to the sky) is (are?) the trees behind the first tee. There was a ahelluvalot of work that went into the front of the clubhouse and the trees kill the clubhouse. The only buildings that stand out are the restaurants. That's the "minor" issue I was referring to.

In any event I'm going to try to keep up with the real-life developments about the course. Oakville is trying to get it declared an historic site...remember that was the first course that Jack designed on his own. It's hard enough getting a tee time in Toronto on any " rated" course, let alone a "tour" course-St. George's is members and guests only...and if anybody decides to look at Scarboro (in east Toronto)...the membership there is by invitation only.
I'm sure that other "name" courses have similar issues.

If anybody closer to the GTA hears anything please let us know.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I believe Jimbo has brought up briefly the subject of the 12th hole tee placement. I seem to remember it being to the right side on a hillside surrounded by trees in a tournament played there long ago. Even the 2 versions of the course have a possible tee area by terrain and with fake tee markers just for the 2002 version only on a flat area out to the right of the other 5 tees provided for both the original and redesigned courses, all of the tees now used are in a straight line not using the possible right tee at all. I wedged over to the right tee area about 80 yards away and got look at what would be possible of having a tee shot of around 185 yards there. With this tee used it would mean not having to go over front left greenside sand trap with pin set back left and offer more strategy choices when setting up play. Playing from this possible tee area offers a more scenic view of the winding creek as well. Hopefully this might be used as a ladies tee. Then again that makes me think of how many in Links play from the ladies tee anyway.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Getting there,
GA18th.jpg
GA18th.jpg (167.39 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
I now need to check the yardages and tee placements, as well as changing #1 to a par 5 as it should be. I am thinking I may strip the tournament objects, crowds, etc... releasing this as a member's course and then re-plant the course to a more summer feel with the re-routing of the front nine for a tournament course. I will also change some of the tournament objects to reflect the RBC sponsorship.

Glenn :cheers1:
Pete

Post by Pete »

:clapping: :thumbup:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

The fall members course is being looked over so I began work on what will be the summer tournament course
GAsummer.jpg
GAsummer.jpg (155.94 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
As you can see I have just gotten under way with the planting and still have a few other minor things to do but I really think this version will do Glen Abbey justice.

Glenn
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi folks: I have the new course "locked and loaded" and am doing a final "Nit Pick". As you may know the front nine is re-routed when the Canadian Open is played-instead of playing the 2nd hole back to the clubhouse they "turn right" onto the 5th hole and work their way around. No big deal-the Links course is set up "properly".

BTW, I know that Google Earth has been a great asset, but have you APC Designers used ProVisualizer.com? I'm guessing that you ave, but I just thought I'd mention it. :whistle: I
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Jimbo wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:15 pm Hi folks: I have the new course "locked and loaded" and am doing a final "Nit Pick". As you may know the front nine is re-routed when the Canadian Open is played-instead of playing the 2nd hole back to the clubhouse they "turn right" onto the 5th hole and work their way around. No big deal-the Links course is set up "properly".

BTW, I know that Google Earth has been a great asset, but have you APC Designers used ProVisualizer.com? I'm guessing that you ave, but I just thought I'd mention it. :whistle: I
I saw link for Harding Park. Just checked in on Glen Abbey for satellite view and did not realize there was so much development around the course. https://www.provisualizer.com/courses/glenabbey.php
I had mentioned before about hole #12 having a right tee placement at one time on a hill coming out of trees, but looking at flyover for hole the 13 mile creek seems to have gotten wider and checking internet it seems also to be a mile longer being named 14 mile creek.