Glen Abbey Update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Glen Abbey Update

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo

Re: Glen Abbey Update

Post by Jimbo »

The Ontario Supreme Court ruled that the Regional Local Planning Authority Tribunal should be the party to make the final determination on the future of Glen Abbey. They've just wrapped up their hearings and should be making their decision very shortly ("very shortly" in legal terms) however if you're a golfer in Southern Ontario you might want to book a tee time this summer (I know that last night's rain may delay your round). For you Linksters I suggest that you don't delete the course. It's a great APCD product and may be all that's left. :wallbash:
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

It would be a shame if the real Glen Abbey Golf Club no longer existed. This is actually one of my favorite Links courses to play and I will certainly be keeping it on my hard drive indefinitely.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Jeff-the ironic thing is that it's usually the golf course that tries to stop the city and developers from tearing it down!
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Hey guys, I have the green contours for Glen Abbey and I will add them as soon as I can. I had sent them to the original designers to add some time ago and they didn't use them so I will go ahead and do it soon. It would be a shame for the real course to be closed, hope it doesn't happen.

Glenn
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Merci beaucoup Glenn. I'll try to keep you posted but if anybody in the Golden Horseshoe finds out first be sure to post ASAP.
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

How do you guys think the two Glen Abbey(s) compare? The two we have here at Links Corner? I dont' think I've played the 2014 beta. Is it very incomplete or not perfect but still better than the early completed one?

-Doug
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Duglis wrote: July 10th, 2020, 3:26 am How do you guys think the two Glen Abbey(s) compare? The two we have here at Links Corner? I dont' think I've played the 2014 beta. Is it very incomplete or not perfect but still better than the early completed one?
I have never checked out the 2002 version, but I can say that the 2014 beta is as much a complete package as over half of finished courses out there. I play it regularly and think its a fantastic course - the one problem I have with it is the 15th green which is the one least realistic green in all the courses I frequently play. The same extreme back-to-front sloping across 90% of it except for a tiny and slightly more gentle part at the top, which is still quite severe too. The real green has a ridge (perhaps even two? I forgot. Cant seem to find any good photo of it now). The course was very high on my list of courses to look into updating for this reason, but as you can see Glenn is going to do it instead :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Ahh, Nice. Glenn doing Glen Abbey. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Here is what the actual contours of the 15th green at glen abbey looks like
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (555.72 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
as you can see there will be a extreme back to front slope, we will see how playable we can make it

Glenn