Glen Abbey Update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Re: Glen Abbey Update

Post by braden1308 »

gene_golf wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:27 pm I had mentioned before about hole #12 having a right tee placement at one time on a hill coming out of trees, but looking at flyover for hole the 13 mile creek seems to have gotten wider and checking internet it seems also to be a mile longer being named 14 mile creek.
I did see your original post about that tee box and took a look and all I could see was woods and water. There were a few things on #11 and #12 that have been moved if the original designers file was correct.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

My mistake with this post written before being as was using middle tees in practice mode---"Even the 2 versions of the course have a possible tee area by terrain and with fake tee markers just for the 2002 version only on a flat area out to the right of the other 5 tees provided for both the original and redesigned courses, all of the tees now used are in a straight line not using the possible right tee at all. I wedged over to the right tee area about 80 yards away and got look at what would be possible of having a tee shot of around 185 yards there. With this tee used it would mean not having to go over front left greenside sand trap with pin set back left and offer more strategy choices when setting up play. Playing from this possible tee area offers a more scenic view of the winding creek as well."

Actually just played in practice mode from the back tees in 2002 and 2014 versions on hole #12 to recheck and found the back tee really is to right of the creek for both courses. Looking at the flyover though the creek is wider to where might call it a river instead and do not see where tee area positioned to the right side of the creek could possibly exist by seeing flyover of this hole. Also as seen in flyover there are trees to left of creek and to right side of the majority of the tees for hole #12 which would affect line of sight if would have a teeing area to right side of creek as definitely was incorporated into the 2 previous versions of Glen Abbey here in Links.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Gene I see what you mean but the final versions of this course will be what is really there. I am not sure about that tee or why it was there in Matt and Lens rendition. I looked at google earth pro and took a trip back in time and found images from 12/30/05 when the trees were bare. You can see the cart turn around for #11 and the hiking trail but there is no tee box on that side for #11.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gene_golf wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:27 pm
Jimbo wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:15 pm Hi folks: I have the new course "locked and loaded" and am doing a final "Nit Pick". As you may know the front nine is re-routed when the Canadian Open is played-instead of playing the 2nd hole back to the clubhouse they "turn right" onto the 5th hole and work their way around. No big deal-the Links course is set up "properly".

BTW, I know that Google Earth has been a great asset, but have you APC Designers used ProVisualizer.com? I'm guessing that you ave, but I just thought I'd mention it. :whistle: I
I saw link for Harding Park. Just checked in on Glen Abbey for satellite view and did not realize there was so much development around the course. https://www.provisualizer.com/courses/glenabbey.php
I had mentioned before about hole #12 having a right tee placement at one time on a hill coming out of trees, but looking at flyover for hole the 13 mile creek seems to have gotten wider and checking internet it seems also to be a mile longer being named 14 mile creek.
That development represents the threat!

BTW, I was taking another look at the ProVisual version. Unless I'm misreading it, their elevations are "somewhat misleading" to say the lease-especially hitting into and out of the Sixteen Mile Creek valley. The "Up" and "Down" are vastly understated...their 11th tee shot is only the same drop as the first at Riviera-and I've seen them both in person! The Links elevations are closer to "the truth"!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

In case you want to see whet the future might hold...and there's another legendary course that's in danger...I'll post that one soon.

http://www.glenabbeyplan.com/index.php
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Jimbo wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:14 pmmight
So there is still "hope"?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We'll know better in the summer-at least the politicians are onside.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Adelade wrote: March 31st, 2021, 6:39 am
Jimbo wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:14 pmmight
So there is still "hope"?
The government's plans go back to 2017.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

The Clublink organization owns approx. 40 clubs, most of which are in the Greater Toronto Area (and several that are closer to the city than Glen Abbey) as well as courses in the National Capital Region (a couple of which are close enough to the city of Ottawa that they might suffer the same fate) as well as a couple near Montreal that, fortunately don't appear close enough to be in danger. I don't know how many fellow Linksters live (or lonce ived) in Toronto but the following namess might ring a bell or two:

Georgetown, Greystone, Cherry Downs, Rolling Hills, The Country Club (Boston isn't the only one), RattleSnake Point and Glendale (near Hamilton).

Each one is a Clublink course and each one is closer to Metro Toronto than Glen Abbey (or in the case of Glendale close enough to Hamilton) and one day may very well face the same fate.

If you look at my post about Shaughnessy you'll know that golf is looked upon by many as an elitist game (Vancouver is slightly over the top-we have our own issues on the island! :whistle: ) but that's the way that the world is unfolding...at least north of the 49th.