2003 Links Disc 3 Installation

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: 2003 Links Disc 3 Installation

Post by Danny D »

mickydavies wrote: January 9th, 2020, 5:14 pm I haven't been on here for a while - health issues - but to continue using Links 2003 a couple of years ago I had a desktop p/c built running Windows 10 which wasn't overly expensive, so I would recommend that. But there were guidelines on the old forum which I can't access any longer specifying the type of motherboard to use. That was before choosing a video card. Can anyone let me know what that said? I ask this now as in a couple of years I will want another desktop p/c if I am still breathing...
As rapidly as hardware changes, a couple of years from now is anyone's guess. I agree with ..... Wait until you're ready to get one, and ask again.

With that being said, a couple of years ago I did a write-up on the best new motherboards to use for Links. The majority of new boards nowadays use Onboard Graphics, which causes the biggest problem with Links. The only boards that still use the chipsets that do no contain onboard graphics were motherboards that use the "X10" chipsets. I believe that since I posted that there have been many improvements made in hardware/software, and many people, with a little tweaking, have been able to make Links work with the newer onboard graphics. However, I think there are still a lot of systems out there that will absolutely NOT work with Links, but I can't tell you anything about any of them or exactly which ones to avoid.

At this point, if you simply want a system specifically to use for Links, I would recommend that you either buy an older used one on EBay that doesn't have onboard graphics, and dedicate it to Links or the older type games, or have someone here at Links Corner recommend a new one that they know for a fact will work with Links without having any issues.

Of course, the new ones being built here by the folks at LC might cost a lot more than you are willing to spend just for Links, in which case a used one from EBay for 2 or 3 hundred bucks might be more what you have in mind. All depends on your wants and needs.

Good luck, and get well soon! We don't want to be losing any more of our golfing friends.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added