SHAUGHNESSY (and some other stuff)

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

SHAUGHNESSY (and some other stuff)

Post by Jimbo »

Shaughnessy in Vancouver has long been accepted as, not only the best course in Vancouver but in all of Canada. A few years ago Mike Trendocher did a very good BETA and left it open for any other APCD'ers to modify (the Nitpicker thought that it was pretty good, except for the clubhouse :naughty: but that's not why we're here), The course will be hosting the LPGA's CP Women's Open this year...then

http://www.golfbusiness.com/article.asp ... yfv%5Eg433$

As you can see, this isn't the same as the Glen Abbey situation. For those of you who have never visited Vancouver I highly recommend it, but that too is another story for another time. Anyway the course is located on elite SW Marine Drive on the banks of the North Fraser River-across from Vancouver International Airport and adjacent to the University of British Columbia (who has its own public golf course as well as a more favorable deal with the Musqueam that guarantees its future).

There are three other clubs virtually next door to Shaughnessy (ironically one is the Musqueam Golf and Driving Range) that fall just outside of the treaty land.

There is also pressure to turn municipal courses into housing. For what it's worth any housing or other buildings that the Musquean decide to put on South Marine Drive will be well beyond the range of all but the richest Vancouverites (the folks who are members of Shaughnessy :smile: )

Bottom line is that, not only is Vancouver the most expensive city in Canada (and much of North America for that matter) but it's bursting with a need for housing. Something that is difficult to coordinate when your city is made up of smaller municipalities (I'm originally from Toronto and can attest to the value of "One Metropolitan City"). The city's sphere of influence extends south to Tsawassen, the mainland terminal of the Vancouver Island Ferry, near the US border with Point Roberts (Linksters who live in the US Northwest (Canada's Southwest) know about Point Roberts and their unique problems with COVID-again, another story that can be Googled).

The future of golf in the lower mainland is questionable.

That's my observation on the APCD (among a few other things). :laugh:
There's really not much to do (the clubhouse, airport with plane sounds (Vancouver is very busy) 24/7. The back nine is mostly hidden from the Fraser River by trees on the south and the university ecological forest on the north by the University ecological forest/endowment lands-the only view of Marine Drive is behind the Par 3 12th green and 13th tee.
The Front Nine runs parallel to the clubhouse and the 4th green, 5th tee and 8th hole are separated from expen$ive housing by a line of trees. Most importantly. the clubhouse is very "modest". :thumbup:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=AJO ... 17&dpr=1.5

After spending most of my life in Toronto, the world is different west of the Rockies...mostly for the good-I could add some other observations about what it's like here but they might not get past Andy's eyes! :rofl:
Last edited by Jimbo on June 27th, 2023, 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danny D

Re: SHAUGHNESSY (and some other stuff)

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: January 29th, 2023, 7:42 am Shaughnessy in Vancouver has long been accepted as, not only the best course in Vancouver but in all of Canada.
I was going to create shaugnessy a couple of years ago. I made it as far as creating the overlay and saving it as a CRZ before I discovered someone else had already created it, so I stopped working on it... I still have the CRZ with the overlay applied and sized.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Re: SHAUGHNESSY (and some other stuff)

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Dan-I don't know if the Beta is any use but the file has been left open. The neighbouring courses on South Marine are gorgeous too...but nothing touches Capilano in North Vancouver. It's Stanley Thompson's masterpiece...even greater than Banff. I'm trying to work it as my first APCD-there's an unbelievable view of downtown Vancouver from the front nine.
If I can't do it justice one of our regular designers really should give it a shot I'd be happy to contribute like I did with Lambton and St. George's (call it the "pre-nitpick)...the front nine is a very steep drop while the back nine is even more steep coming back up....and the Property in North and West Vancouver is the most expensive in the city...and to borrow a phrase from Bob Dylan unlike Shaughnessy "it ain't goin' nowhere!"😄
I'm not doing any crazy lobbying like I did for St. George's but...😉