Favourite Courses of 2022

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Favourite Courses of 2022

Post by Adelade »

Continuing my tradition of celebrating my favourite new courses each year. As always anyone is welcome to post about their own.

If counting all released versions (which havent been completely removed from the official list) there were 44 courses released during 2022, which is sadly the lowest number since 2016. However, personally I would say the overall quality of courses was higher than previous years (perhaps even much higher) - at any rate Im rather certain the average amount of APCD-work-hours spent on individual courses were significantly higher than previous years, so the lower quantity is not necessarily a bad thing. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the course library in one way or another!
:cheers1:

Links to the similar threads about courses from:
2020: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 8523#p8523
2021: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 835#p12835

My personal definition of these favourite courses is simply my 'overall favourite courses', which doesnt necessarily mean that courses not listed here were not well-made in APCD - how the layout plays is a really big part of it for me. I also primarily only include courses which had their first full (or equivalent enough to full-) release during the year. Updates of past courses are no less important in my opinion and deserve to be celebrated too, but I put those in a separate category. Lastly - I exclude courses I've worked on myself, so for anyone coming here for course recommendations - it might be worth checking those out too... :smile:

My favourite courses of 2022 (in no particular order, and as per my definition above):
Cambrian Ridge HD* by Todd Meyers (aka Duck Hook)
TPC Southwind by Sage Vanni, Glenn Braden and Leo Allen
Lighthouse Isle by Sage Vanni
TPC Twin Cities by Sage Vanni, Glenn Braden and Leo Allen
TPC Scottsdale** by Glenn Braden
Victoria National by Ian Wells
TPC San Antonio** by Sage Vanni, Glenn Braden and Leo Allen

* = Yes, it is listed as an Alpha, but it is more finished and polished than most finalized courses out there (unless you care a lot about clubhouses).
** = These are Betas, but it seems like they'll be the last versions we will get, and most people will probably agree that they are "close enough" to finished.

Honourable mentions to Millers Pond and TPC Ko' Phayam - both by Sage Vanni, and also TPC Craig Ranch by Sage Vanni, Glenn Braden and Leo Allen.

In terms of Updates, I would like to bring up Carnoustie by Peter Monk.

Please check out all the above if you havent done so already! :smile:

And my personal Course Of The Year 2022 award goes to......... Victoria National! :clapping:

Very tough competition for the top spot this year, as I like both Victoria National and Cambrian Ridge HD immensely :thumbup:

One thing I really liked about this year was that we saw some excellent returns of designers who hadnt released anything in a long while. There are a few more who have showed hints of returning, which Im really hoping - wishing - to see something from in 2023! I feel hopeful that at least some of them will happen! In the meantime, let's hope as many as possible of our currently active designers are able and willing to continue...
:cheers1:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Re: Favourite Courses of 2022

Post by pmgolf »

I agree completely with your choices, Adelade! :yes:

Pete
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Adalade. I would have to go back to see if there are anything in the posts that need addressed, then finalize some of them.
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

All are fantastic courses. I'd mention a couple of other outstanding courses:
Winged Foot West. Fantastic recreation and probably the best clubhouse ever. I would love to see Glenn finish Sage's Winged Foot East.
Austin CC by Adelade Another great rendition. Love that bridge.
Silvertip Had to get a John Brooks one in there. A real course and a sleeper with great elevation changes.
So many good ones it's hard to choose.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thanks Adelade.
Everybody who releases a course built in APCD deserves high praise. :cheers1:
Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I have been working here’s and there on Sages Winged Foot East, no timeline yet
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

ChuckH wrote: January 10th, 2023, 4:53 am All are fantastic courses. I'd mention a couple of other outstanding courses:
Winged Foot West. Fantastic recreation and probably the best clubhouse ever. I would love to see Glenn finish Sage's Winged Foot East.
Silvertip Had to get a John Brooks one in there. A real course and a sleeper with great elevation changes.
I almost forgot about Winged Foot West. Biggest surprise of the year for me - and I would rank it as one of Links best!

Pete
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

pmgolf wrote: January 10th, 2023, 4:53 pm
ChuckH wrote: January 10th, 2023, 4:53 am All are fantastic courses. I'd mention a couple of other outstanding courses:
I almost forgot about Winged Foot West. Biggest surprise of the year for me - and I would rank it as one of Links best!

Pete
Snuck that one in :cheers1: