Le Golf National 2022 RC - Completed

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
dgrobo2000

Re: Le Golf National 2022 RC - Completed

Post by dgrobo2000 »

I have downloaded and enjoyed playing a few rounds at Le Golf National. Although it's a great design in its current form, there are a few improvements that could be made.
The course could be made more challenging by bringing the deep rough closer to the fairways and greens.
The contours of the 7th fairway are not as on the real course. The contours found on Max DeChamps 7th fairway are similar to the real course. The 7th fairway has a camber from left to right. The left side of the fairway is higher than the right side. There is also an intimidating boundary fence that runs along the right side of the 7th hole. The 7th hole also has a few trees on the right side short of the green. There is also a large mound in the fairway short of the green.
I hope my observations of the 7th hole are useful. Thanks for designing another great european course.
dgrobo2000

Post by dgrobo2000 »

The 7th hole at Le Golf National.
Attachments
LGN04.jpg
LGN04.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 932 times
LGN03.jpg
LGN03.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 933 times
LGN02.jpg
LGN02.jpg (111.74 KiB) Viewed 933 times
LGN01.jpg
LGN01.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 933 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Great pictures! Thanks, DG!

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

dgrobo thanks for the observations and comments, I enjoy these type of discussions. I have to contest a few of your points though.
dgrobo2000 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 2:34 pmThe 7th hole also has a few trees on the right side short of the green.
This was true prior to 2018. But they were removed in 2018 just before the Ryder Cup. All the pictures you posted were taken before 2018.
There is also a large mound in the fairway short of the green.
If you mean the one about 55 yards short of the green, I added it when I made my elevation adjustments, so it is featured (although it is entirely possible that I didnt make it as severe as it in real life). Since that mound will basically never come into play in Links, I did not prioritize the area (and most of my elevation edits, like I mentioned in the readme, were focused on greens and getting the correct altitude differences between tee, greens and target areas.)

As for the fairway on 7th, it does not overall slope a whole lot from left-to-right in real life according to Google Earth. Some yes, but I dont think the difference would effect gameplay much. If I had received the comment during the beta (which everyone was invited to), then I would have modified it, but I dont think it is reasonable to make an update for that reason alone. If anyone wants to spend the time and effort making all fairway undulations identical to those on Google Earth, they would be very, very welcome to do so! (At least from my side, and I believe Sage would welcome it too.) I caution against modifying the greens in that case though, since they are made much more accurate than the ones from Google Earth.

As for overall landscape contours compared to the 2004 version, I feel pretty confident in saying that you will find this new version more accurate overall in terms of gameplay areas. You can find similar spots in other places on the 2004 version which, similarly, are not quite like the contours in real life.
The course could be made more challenging by bringing the deep rough closer to the fairways and greens.
True and fair enough, but that is a matter of taste where some players dont like deep rough too close to fairways. I always like hearing what people prefer about these type of things though, and happily register yours for future reference.
There is also an intimidating boundary fence that runs along the right side of the 7th hole.
I considered that, but the explanation for why I decided not to do anything with that can be found in the readme. It is not an excuse, simply the reason. Again, at least from my side, anyone is welcome to try improve things like that if they want to :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...