Winged Foot West

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
braden1308

Winged Foot West

Post by braden1308 »

I have released Winged Foot West. I had been sitting on the dem I had received from Kevin Fraser, which I have been waiting for Dorse to work on. Since I hadn't heard or seen anything and since I had built the clubhouse I decided to finish it. This course should be played conservatively on F,F conditions and some of the pins are very difficult as the greens are very sloped. I had even taken some of the slope out of them as in the game they were almost unplayable. I know there will be some complaining about the greens but this is the way they really are so good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Glenn :cheers1:
pmgolf

Re: Winged Foot West

Post by pmgolf »

You can't always be the bearer of good news, Glenn. If the real course has some very difficult greens, you can't hide it but so much. Release them as they are, and let the players decide if they have enough courage to take them on. I've avoided them in the past, but it's hard to deny what really exists. If the one, two, or however many holes demand it, the challenging green speed and firmness can be slowed/softened enough to play those holes without suffering too much score damage, as long as the rest of the holes don't become too boring to play at that speed. (I'm talking about slow enough so the ball doesn't roll back to you on those holes) I'll use them in tournaments and let the players decide if they want to play it.

Personally, I'd like to play the new Winged Foot West!

Pete
Last edited by pmgolf on September 12th, 2022, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrT

Post by MrT »

braden1308 wrote: September 11th, 2022, 10:29 pm This course should be played conservatively on F,F conditions and some of the pins are very difficult as the greens are very sloped. I had even taken some of the slope out of them as in the game they were almost unplayable. I know there will be some complaining about the greens but this is the way they really are so good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Glenn :cheers1:
I am usually a complainer, but this time ... nope.. Course played nicely even in M/Fc and mostly Difficult pin settings. Only green a bit scary was #15 that I had to hit from the sand bunker, but managed to stop the ball reasonably close. On 3 or 4 I guess I got lucky and sank the putt from 7 meters. Had I not sank it I think the ball would have traveled to the fringe, but that was not the green that had any issues, it was the pin placement. All the rest was good. Pleasant course actually. Beautiful clubhouse.. next time I play I would kick the ball around it to take a look around. Maybe it was me or maybe it is the course's personality but I thought that the last 6 holes were the hardest. Up to that point I was at -6 and never played a single shot on this course before.
So, definitely this is not a course with issues.. I could name several courses with waaaayyyyy more issues than this one. Nice work and thank you for another real course. I think that because of the M in the M/Fc setting I used, the balls from chip shots tended to stop very quickly. Normally, I have a tendency to go longer than I need to, but here it was the opposite. Not complaining, just reporting what I saw. Cheers! :tiphat:
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I may not get to play this for a few days, but thanks very much for all of your efforts Glenn, and for sharing with us, this is a happy surprise!

:clapping: :thumbup: :cheers1:
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

just downloaded it. looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Thanks Glenn!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Difficult greens are only fun, I looked closely at them all and have no complaints about any of them because they all have pinnable spots. I have contructive feedback about two other fixable details though, but Im not sure if I should just shut up about them after what happened last time and since there is no beta this time. I was in fact going to, but it just seems like such a shame when the course seems so enjoyable in all other aspects, so Im giving it this one last chance. If I receive no reply, I will just happily move on.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
chad

Post by chad »

It's great to see you back, Glenn, and equally as great to get another new, real course for Links. Thank you!! :cheers1:
Last edited by chad on September 12th, 2022, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Just had look at how course was set up for past U.S. Opens and PGA's where par has been at 70 previously. Holes #5 and #12 were played as par 5's whereas saw when playing that hole #9 is way longer than those par 5's. Hole #16 was played as a par 4. Also the 2006 version played to a par 70.
guitarget2019

Post by guitarget2019 »

(1997 PGA - from Wikipedia) "The last few holes on Sunday were played in a steady rain. However, when Love reached the final green with the tournament wrapped up, the sun peaked through the clouds and a rainbow appeared in the sky. Many took it as a symbol of Love finally winning his first major after several close calls and of his late father, a PGA professional, approvingly looking down from above."
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks guys for the comments, Adalade I don’t mind criticism as long as it is constructive