Winged Foot West

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
migolfer

Re: Winged Foot West

Post by migolfer »

@Glenn, do you care if I upload some screenshots for this course? (After Andy gets back from holiday.) I've been trying to do this for other courses that do not have them, but it's a never-ending story/job. If you already have plans for this, I'll take it off my list.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Be my guest
dko

Post by dko »

I charted the pin positions and yardages from the 2020 us open website in the hope that someone would create the course so I could play it under those conditions. It appears that holes 9 and 12 were set as par 5's IRL; The yardages for number 9 for the four rounds were between 556 and 572 yards, while number 5 ranged from 483 to 514 yards depending on the pin (and possibly tee) positions.

Holes 5 and 16 played as par 4's for the overall par of 70.
Doug
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

After playing a full round on this new version of WFW, I'll have to agree that some of these greens can be daunting. ( Depending , of course, on pin placements and game settings.) But it was a fun round anyhow. Since I am all about the "visuals" and realism of courses for Links, I also want to make mention that I think the 3D work on the clubhouse is superb, to say the least. It has to be one of the most classic "old school" style clubhouse designs in the US. It just seems to convey the "old wealth" of some Eastern courses. Well done, Glenn !
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thank you, I did spend some time on that clubhouse which is one of the reasons I decided to finish the course not knowing what Dorse was up to
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

braden1308 wrote: September 12th, 2022, 10:12 pm Thanks guys for the comments, Adalade I don’t mind criticism as long as it is constructive
I feel like I have a firm grasp of the definition of constructive criticism because it is a very familiar concept to me that I have a bunch of positive experience with, but I still had a feeling you might personally define it in a particular way, so I went looking up definitions with a web search just to doublecheck and perhaps get ideas on what you might mean more exactly. And I thought it was a pretty interesting exercise, because it struck me that the first five results I checked were all relatively different in their definitions or at least how much they emphasize different aspects of the definition, so I guess it is a concept that has a lot of slightly-subjective interpretations. Therefore, can I ask how you personally define constructive criticism? It might help several of us to better understand what is welcome and what isnt when it comes to your courses.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Let me know if something is technically wrong, don’t complain that it’s too hard or the rough is too high. Expect a tough course and deal with it. Now if there’s steel trees/grass or something that is causing playability issues or a big hump or hole that doesn’t look right or a blend that is missed, okay.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

As much as it greately saddens me to hear that, I have to say "fair enough". One of the issues was technical enough - incorrect seamblend properties with the two bunkerlip seamblends playing as green, fairway and concrete. I was going to provide screenshots, but Im pretty sure you know what Im talking about, and sadness replaced my motivation.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

It would have helped to have a screen shot so I don’t have to go over the entire course to find these and what is it with you? This is one of the strangest back and forths I have ever had. I will fix the bunker lips and re-release and I think going forward we should try to avoid these odd posts
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I will have a corrected version uploaded when Andy gets back