Location Of The Thunder Golf Club?

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
1PuttJeff

Location Of The Thunder Golf Club?

Post by 1PuttJeff »

I recently was browsing on Links Corner for golf courses to download and came across a real course called, The Thunder Golf Club, re-created for Links by Mike (Pecos Bill) Nicely in 2010 and wondered where the course is located? :helpsmilie:

Jeff
Adelade

Re: Location Of The Thunder Golf Club?

Post by Adelade »

It is not called the exact same that the real course is for some reason (perhaps it switched name since then, or perhaps Mike Nicely deliberately called it something else in order to stay safer in terms of copyright). It is based on Thunder Hill Golf Club in the north-east of Ohio, if you search for that you will find it, except it was closed many years ago and has become overgrown...

Amazing course for Links :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Adelade,

Thank you for your reply to my post in regard to the location of the Thunder Golf Club! It was also interesting to know that the club is no longer in use, however, it does look like a great course to download. :thumbup:

Jeff
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I used to drive up there and play in charity event every year until the venue moved to Quail Hollow CC in Painesville. It was n difficult course as it was an old catfish farm so there was plenty of water to deal with. There was also one bunker, I can't remember the hole, but it was called the skunk bunker, it had black sand and was in a very playable spot. One draw back was how buggy it could get in the evening.
jrh127

Post by jrh127 »

I played Thunder Hill one time as I grew up in NW Pennsylvania. The course conditions were going downhill at that point but you could see still the design was built for tournament golf. I don't remember much about the round but I do remember there were ponds everywhere and that I lost alot of balls!
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Thanks very much Adelaide and Glenn for your insights on Thunder Golf Club. When I was building out my favorite courses spreadsheet, I struggled a lot with what to do with that one. I did really like the Links version. It's nice that designers are able to recreate courses that no longer exist in APCD and keep the memory alive.

Cheers, ColinC