2022 US Open/Course Design Question

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Maximus420

2022 US Open/Course Design Question

Post by Maximus420 »

Thought someone mentioned updating The Country Club to match the revised layout and yardages for the US Open, but I'm guessing there won't be an updated version by tomorrow?

On a related note, I noticed there is an updated version to download for Tiger 08. I'm unfamiliar with that game, but it does seem to have a lot more courses available for download. Is the designer on Tiger 08 easier to use? Or are the created courses for that game rushed and not very good? Just more users of that game than Links? I've always preferred Links, but wondering if it makes sense to have both games for simulation of majors, etc?
ChuckH

Re: 2022 US Open/Course Design Question

Post by ChuckH »

I have Links2003, Tiger 08, and GBC(Jack Nicklaus 6) and I like them all for various reasons. My preference is for Links but the others have good points as well. Between the three, there's just about any course you can think of. Links is more picturesque, I suppose, and plays a good game of simulating golf. TW08 has more of an arcade look and feel as in a console game. Nonetheless, It plays a good game of golf and is fun to play. The community is still very active with courses still coming out weekly. I look at them complementing each other.
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Yahoo had the Strackaline book on the page listed below, I know this won't help get the course created and released in time for the US Open but thought someone here might find it useful.

https://sports.yahoo.com/check-yardage- ... 48833.html

Jim
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

I Agree with ChuckH. I have links 2003,TW08 and TGC original or first one. All have good points and are fun to play. As ChuckH said Links is more picturesque with more colour and variety of trees ect. My thoughts. :smile:
linkster

Post by linkster »

You can have a look around this course if you want, it is playable in Links 2003, but it is NOT the US Open experience you are looking for:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... V4aLMH_PL8

I built this course quickly last week. It uses a high detail LIDAR survey of course area, DEM generated in QGIS, and then imported into APCD for the course terrain. A Google Earth image is added for an overlay and holes plotted to make it playable, but that is it. I built this course to showcase the potential for generating the terrain outside of the APCD and the speed and quality it can provide to building real courses. I hope that if there are some interested course designers that are willing to add textures and seam blends, build the greens using Strakaline or QGIS generated contours, and add a few 2D objects; this community can get back to cranking out high quality real courses. It is nice to be optimistic at least :smile:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

"this community can get back to cranking out high quality real courses."

So the real courses released lately are what............????? :dunno:

Sage............
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Unfortunate R Miller didn't pass on his textures to the up and coming designers....might be an idea to have a terrain crew...hacking them highly detailed DEMS out.. and have a specialized textures crew...mc Coist's texture blending is/was superb(some of those fairway and bunker textures are off the chart,!! Cape Wraith comes to mind..and to my knowledge he didn't lock his courses)...even if he is not fully engaged with course building these days...just an idea... :dunno:
Maximus420

Post by Maximus420 »

Appreciate all the feedback. Can't imagine how hard it is to build these courses, so I'm definitely not complaining about any courses that are missing. Sounds like a combo of different games should fill any gaps.

Off topic, speaking of course designers, I went to a sim-golf place that uses the Trackman course library and noticed some old Links courses as options. I looked into it and it turns out Mike Jones (Cara Brae, Crystal Pines, Las Joyas, etc.) is now a lead course designer for Trackman. Guess he brought over his course designs to them. But really cool that you could turn a Links course design hobby into a full career designing courses.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

On US Open's own website (or links through PGA's website) anyone can watch certain featured groups or featured holes (11, 12 & 13). I watched a bit yesterday, was pretty surprised it worked even from Sweden without VPN. https://www.usopen.com/watch/live.html
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

morvio100 wrote: June 16th, 2022, 10:03 am Unfortunate R Miller didn't pass on his textures to the up and coming designers....might be an idea to have a terrain crew...hacking them highly detailed DEMS out.. and have a specialized textures crew...mc Coist's texture blending is/was superb(some of those fairway and bunker textures are off the chart,!! Cape Wraith comes to mind..and to my knowledge he didn't lock his courses)...even if he is not fully engaged with course building these days...just an idea... :dunno:
Who said Rob didn't pass some of his texture's on?