Carnoustie 2022

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Pete

Carnoustie 2022

Post by Pete »

Great rendition, look forward to final, many thanks
Jimbo

Re: Carnoustie 2022

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Pete-I don't think that I'll have a great deal to nitpick...links courses are hard to nitpick (and that clubhouse and surrounding buildings are great!)
But give me a few days... :laugh:
Actually (maybe it was my imagination or I may just have had a good round) but it didn't feel like a 7,400 yard course. That's not a criticism, just my feeling.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sent a private message, but figured I'd say something brief here too. Thank you so much for the added pins and all the other improvements since I first tested (and the course as a whole) :smile: Played an enjoyable full round on it. Found no issues, and there were no slow loading times for me. Happy to say that I will be keeping this version, well, at least once the final version comes out (though I may still play the 2007 version now and then, just for variety's sake) :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
MrT

Post by MrT »

Generally I am not fond of links courses because I do not like to get sand in my shoes :unsure: but this I found quite enjoyable.
Actually, I found links courses super boring, but while playing this one, I did not feel bored at all. Sure, I am not in love with pot bunkers, but that is what links courses in the UK offer.

Played it on pretty tough settings and the final score was quite good. Barely missed an even score because I was getting tired and I played after a day of work. I also took the time to look around to notice the grass, the trees. I was looking for some white roses (of Scotland) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlytpl88Cqg and I particularly enjoyed the houses on the background. What a beautiful surroundings.

The major challenge (at Champ level) for me were the sloped fairways in some of the spots I ended up. It takes a lot of correction, more than I expected, to avoid that the next shot went too much sideways. Other than that it is definitely :thumbup:
morvio100

Re: Carnoustie 2022 = Potential Hall of Famer @???

Post by morvio100 »

Carnoustie 2022 ...shout out to Monk...fine work my son....shows promise...wasn't to sure about the bunker textures...said to myself lets get a closer look??. ..all good :clapping: ..they pass inspection..the heavily covered grass on the bunker walls...very nice indeed...couple of hard edges around the greens...a little finer finesse/seam blend will correct that for the FINAL I'm sure....some top notch 3d work...ahhh yess..very nice!!//..Reminds me a little of Royal Lytham at St Annes..(which is as close to perfection that's on here)....great protentional for repetitive tourney play...great work..the crowd work on Royal Lytham is unparreled...if you could add crowds to level...may have another classic to add to the archives I reckon.... :clapping:
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Small tweak needed on the 11th hole..Pete.......maybe you could correct this for the final ...there seems to a bogus tree* beside the green in the middle of some yellow bushes...(there's a small green cabin/outhouse near it)..when putting ad its in field of vision it seems very blurred...ya probably know the one..small nitpic)....let me say as a caveat the course looks magnificent in places...fabulous APCD work....might be idea also to beg borrow or steal a more engaging looking sea texture...if you were to eventually to create a tourney version with well scaled crowds(royal lytham....) there you might find yourself creeping up the "Most DL'D Course database list.... :thumbup: ..just dawned on me probably should have sent PM...regards this....damned newbies Iol....
ponkey

Re: Carnoustie 2022 = Potential Hall of Famer @???

Post by ponkey »

morvio100 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 6:48 pm Carnoustie 2022 ...shout out to Monk...fine work my son....shows promise...wasn't to sure about the bunker textures...said to myself lets get a closer look??. ..all good :clapping: ..they pass inspection..the heavily covered grass on the bunker walls...very nice indeed...couple of hard edges around the greens...a little finer finesse/seam blend will correct that for the FINAL I'm sure....some top notch 3d work...ahhh yess..very nice!!//..Reminds me a little of Royal Lytham at St Annes..(which is as close to perfection that's on here)....great protentional for repetitive tourney play...great work..the crowd work on Royal Lytham is unparreled...if you could add crowds to level...may have another classic to add to the archives I reckon.... :clapping:
Hi morvio
can you explain what you mean by hard edges. Where are they? at every green or just some?
Maybe a screenshot of what you mean might help me to put this right.

I've change the tree at the 11th and the sea texture too.

many thanks

Peter
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Pete, fantastic that you've gotten round to changing both the tree and sea texture. regarding the seam blend around the greens, I'm more than likely mistaken, as I have no real knowledge of the actual course, and in honestly you probably have, so ignore the comment on the seam blend, I just thought the light rough around the greens, in places looked a bit hard edged, but I'm probably wrong so as I said ignore,..congrats on creating a magnificent creation, as I mentioned before I reckon to you were ever to add crowds(tourney version) to the level of Royal Lytham your gonna have a masterpiece with many dl'ds imho, but I know crowds a alot of work, suberb work.... :thumbup:

PS I have not played the course in its entirety yet, but if I come across any minor little adjustments that may improve the course.. I'll PM ...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

While randomly looking online for photographs of the golf course in order to see how the Links recreation compares, I happened to notice this beautiful photograph of the 13th hole ("Whins"). If you look at the bunkers, you might notice that they're a lot shallower where you'd walk into them than how the APCD version has recreated them. That front bunker looks smaller (and a lot closer to the green?) than the real life version too. Not sure how fussy you intend to be on this course, it looks like a winner regardless of the finer points.
Carnoustie-13.jpg
Carnoustie-13.jpg (195.68 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
Carnoustie13-links.jpg
Carnoustie13-links.jpg (174.08 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Anybody that gets to play this course IRL (or just about any in the British Isles) is fortunate indeed.
This photo of the 15th would make any golfer want to head out there. The view on the Links version is pretty good in comparison. It's too bad there isn't much designers can do to make those grasses look better though. Being limited to 2D images pasted into the APCD is a poor substitute, but it will have to do and I'll enjoy playing this course anyway. Thank you for the update (at least a BETA of it so far).
Carnoustie-15.jpg
Carnoustie-15.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Carnoustie-15-links.jpg
Carnoustie-15-links.jpg (92.73 KiB) Viewed 3135 times