BANFF SPRINGS 2018 (Thompsin)

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

BANFF SPRINGS 2018 (Thompsin)

Post by Jimbo »

I apologize for not officially "Nitpicking" Colin's work, but there was very little need :clapping: and I had made comments about the original 2017 (before I became the Nitpicker"). :laugh:
Anyway, great work-and for almost all who have played the course since the original Links game was released 20 years ago, that view of the Banff Springs Hotel is one of the great panos in the game!
Some people would like to see it play host to the Canadian Open but:
1. At 6,900 yards plus the elevation of the location the PGA won't touch it (also, there's an unwritten rule that, unfortunately any future Canadian Opens will be limited to the Eastern Time Zone and Montreal isn't on the "short list" at the moment), although the LPGA or Seniors might be interested.
2. Banff is an expen$ive place to stay in either summer or winter, whether or not you're staying at the hotel and it's far enough from Calgary so a "day trip" wouldn't really work.
A while ago I bemoaned the lack of Canadian content in the course directory...I'm happy to admit that I was totally wrong. Even if you only count Ontario and Alberta, the country is well-represented, with courses on both sides of the country too.
It was also great to see another "Tribute to Thompson" in the course notes-one of the greatest (and largely under-appreciated) architects outside of Canada. I eagerly await the Tunnel Mountain nine.
Last edited by Jimbo on June 11th, 2022, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColinC

Re: BANFF SPRINGS 2018 (Thompsin)

Post by ColinC »

I think the most recent rendition of Banff Springs is awesome.

I bumped up the photos I took of the hotel from the 14th tee and of the river in the Lobby board.

It's also too bad that due to remote location, the Canadian Open will never go to Cape Breton (Cabot Cliffs, Cabot Links, Highlands Links)

We are truly fortunate to have so many wonderful Canadian courses available to us in Links thanks to all those who have designed and updated courses over the years. Hopefully in future we will see more renditions.

Cheers, Colin
Jimbo

Re: BANFF SPRINGS 2018 (Thompsin)

Post by Jimbo »

I managed to find some deer and the rafters were a nice touch. Was that a different water texture? It seems more reflective...and where did you find that overhead shot?!?!?
Thanks for the clubhouse-I bought a golf shirt when I was there and you nailed it. As you can see it's rather plain compared to a lot of courses. It's primary use is club storage for the hotel guests and a place for a pre or post round snack. For most golfers the real clubhouse is their hotel room followed by the hotel shuttle. :rofl:

Of all the great Canadian courses I daresay that this is the one that most people outside Canada would immediately identify...well done! :notworthy: :cheers1: