Crooked Stick

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Crooked Stick

Post by Ian Wells »

In complete opposite to building Victoria National and trying to build Ballhack, I am considering looking into building Crooked Stick Golf Club, Carmel, Ind.

Is there anybody working on this course?

Ian
Weeler

Re: Crooked Stick

Post by Weeler »

Ian, I'm not replying to tell you I'm doing this course......but just commenting that from all the photos I've seen online, it looks like a really great course for you to create for Links. And how can you possibly go wrong with a Pete Dye design ?? I'm learning that Indiana has a lot more "high quality" real courses than I would've imagined. Needless to say, if you put as much detail and craftsmanship into the course that you did with Victoria National, it will definitely be another Links gem !!

Ron
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Just curious, in what way do you mean Crooked Stick is opposite to Victoria National?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

Ian, I hope you end up doing this course. A very good choice. Here's a couple of pictures from GBC.
Attachments
CS01.jpg
CS01.jpg (508.07 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
CS02.jpg
CS02.jpg (505.58 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
CS18.jpg
CS18.jpg (334.4 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Ron,
As nobody has reported that it is being built I will go further to see if the course and I are compatible. :whistle:

Adelade
Only that Crooked stick looks flatter than Victoria National. (I hope I enjoy building this as much as I did Victoria National :smile: )

Chuck
The screen shots look very nice, I hope I can do the course justice in Links. :unsure:

Ian
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

Looking forward to following the progress of Crooked Stick this is a very good course to play.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Steve,
Normally I layout the total course, elevate, texture, seam blend, build 3D and then plant. For this course I am completing each hole with the exception of the 3D and planting. (For the green elevations I must wait until my visit to my daughter at end of October

Presently I have completed the first 3 holes and I am 75% complete on hole 4. (Hopefully the change in procedure won't come back to bite me in the proverbial.) So far it is a relatively simple course to build as there are no great elevation changes. providing I don't get bored with the build it will be finished shortly after I get the green details.

Thanks for the interest. :tiphat:
Ian
milwsteve

Post by milwsteve »

Ian how are you coming along with Crooked Stick I am looking forward to playing this course when it gets done.We had a course inn the Quad Cities in Rock Island The Aersnal Island that was along the Mississippi River that I wish would be done for Links 2003 I would love to play the course even though it is a shorter course.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Thanks for going ahead with this one, Ian, I'm sure it will be worth it. I look forward to seeing courses from you. It seems that you're improving your APCD skills each time around ! I also appreciate the fact that you don't mind taking on "real" courses, even though I'm sure they are more difficult.
Your renditions of Wade Hampton and Victoria National are outstanding to say the least. Keep it up !

Ron
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

This is super exciting. I happen to live smack dab in the middle of Victoria National and Crooked Stick and have never gotten to play either course in real life so having a Links alternative to real life would be very cool.