Links APCD Notes For My Favorite Courses June 2022

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
ColinC

Links APCD Notes For My Favorite Courses June 2022

Post by ColinC »

I have been playing different versions of Links on and off (mostly off) for 30 years. For most of this time I averaged about 10 rounds per year, but I kept up with new releases on Links Corner and APCD-Courses over the years in the hope that one day I would get to play them.

In late 2020, I decided it was time to finally play all of the courses in my Links 2003 collection and also my GBC collection. It has been nice to revisit old favorites and try out new courses (some of which had been sitting on my hard drives for two decades).

After a year of playing 1-2 courses per day, I have ended up with a collection of about 250 Links 2003 courses and about 65 GBC courses. I removed about 50 courses from the collection, many of which were fun when they came out but had not been updated or had not aged well.

While playing through the courses, I kept notes on each for myself so I could remember which courses I would like to play again and why.
Several times over the years I have attempted to learn the APCD and I just don’t have the patience or artistic talent to complete a course. So my impressions are those of a player only. I am, however, good at collecting information, so as I played the courses, I collected information on them which I would like to share with the community as my small way of giving back. I see this as a complement to ClipNotes. While not as detailed, it is up to date as of May , 2022.

After playing so many courses, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the APCD designers who collectively have devoted thousands of hours to producing the courses that I and so many others have been able to enjoy over the last two decades.

This database is dedicated to all of the APCD Designers past and present in recognition for all of your hard work and devotion.

Shoutouts

Thanks very much and a tip of the hat to Adelaide and Jimbo for your advice and support with this project that helped to me to make significant improvements. Thanks also to Andy for agreeing to host this at Links Corner for the benefit of the community and for your assistance along the way.

Finally thanks again to all of the APCD designers and testers who have provided so much to the Links community over the years, and to whoever created the dgVoodoo graphics file (more on this below).

GBC Notes

Although I did not include them here, I have created a similar spreadsheet of the GBC courses I have in my collection. If anyone is interested in seeing it or who to speak to over at the new GBC site please let me know.

Any comments related to design or courses are the sole personal opinion of ColinC and are designed for reference purposes only as a starting point for discussion. They are NOT intended to be any kind of official recommendation or critique of a course. We recognize that other players and/or designers may have different opinions or place a higher/lower value on different facets of the game. We appreciate all of the hard work and effort that goes into APCD course design and hope that these comments are taken in the positive spirit in which they were intended.

the Read Me File goes more into depth on the information included in the spreadsheets and my rationale.
ReadMe For Links APCD Course Notes May 2022.pdf
(450.22 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
I hope everyone finds this entertaining and useful. I am hoping to update this so suggestions for additions or improvements would be greatly appreciated.
Links APCD Course Notes May 2022.xls
(151 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Cheers, :cheers1:

ColinC
chsmcp

Re: Links APCD Notes For My Favorite Courses June 2022

Post by chsmcp »

Very nice work indeed :clapping: :cheers1:
ColinC

Re: Links APCD Notes For My Favorite Courses June 2022

Post by ColinC »

Thanks very much! I hope to update this in future after playing more courses. Cheers, Colin