Southern Hills

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Southern Hills

Post by Adelade »

@MrT: You like it - thats great. If you're confused, you can read my posts again, I defined what it is that I dont enjoy (and it is not about the overall difficulty of the hole), Im certainly not asking anyone to feel the same way I do, just that no one tries to tell me what I should or shouldnt enjoy. Putting might be more of a challenge for me than for you because of either me being a worse putter than you, or because I use tougher putting settings. Neither of them would be fair to use as an argument that Im not allowed to enjoy things the way I am. You may be a big "complainer" about greens (to use your own words) but there are bigger ones, which includes 100% of PGA tour pros in real life whose gameplay I like to simulate.

Im trying to let the discussion end, but if you want replies to the individual points you make, feel free to send me a pm.

(And for the third time, Im fine with the Links version being this way.)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sage-you have a PM.
Jim
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I don't see anything Jimbo..........................

Sage....... :fear:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Maximus420

Post by Maximus420 »

dko wrote: May 18th, 2022, 6:01 am I guess I have to back off my previous comments about severe rough and agree with Maximus' last post. Apparently the rough at Southern Hills is not expected to present much of a challenge, with the real obstacle being the newly configured greens that will push poorly struck approaches off to the sides and down the side slopes.

Outside of common US Open setups, the pros seem to often be able to hit these high shots from rough that stick on the green with little roll. I don't know how Links design can emulate that short of making courses 100% fairway from tee to green. :bookh:

I must say, though, that you can often do more than just "chop out" of severe rough; hitting a club or two more will often get you close to or even onto the green in the absence of trees, which you can punch a shot through in many cases if not stymied, and hitting woods from it will often run out a long way. As an example, I pushed my drive on hole 1 at Southern Hills into the right deep rough and from 176 yards hit a 4-iron that hit short and ran to pin high just off the green. Just sayin'. :whistle:
For sure, I didn't mean to imply you can only wedge out. But to me, taking multiple extra clubs and hoping the ball runs out an extra 20+ yards to get near the target is "chopping out." You're not able to play a predictable shot of any kind, which today's pros are able to do out of most rough. Most of that is just limitations of the Links game. There's no variability to lies in the rough, it's just dependent on the type of rough texture used. That said, I'm fine with the deep rough in the proper places, but a foot off a severely sloped fairway is not the correct place for that much penalty.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I would be interested in seeing comments from those that have played in windy conditions. My guess with shots coming out of deep rough with lower ball flight that wind might not be a factor, but intend to check out myself. Some courses have deep rough where hitting fairway woods has them only traveling a short distance, so phrase mostly used was to chop out or wedge out to fairway. This course allows fairway woods and for shots out of deep rough they roll and roll unless greenside sand trap or rough stops them with added thought to aim away from rolling into water hazard that may not be able to carry over it. Shots from deep rough landing on green usually roll over the green. I believe the idea of intermediate rough for this course was an excellent thought.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Adelade wrote: May 18th, 2022, 6:25 am @MrT: You like it - thats great. If you're confused, you can read my posts again, I defined what it is that I dont enjoy (and it is not about the overall difficulty of the hole), Im certainly not asking anyone to feel the same way I do, just that no one tries to tell me what I should or shouldnt enjoy. Putting might be more of a challenge for me than for you because of either me being a worse putter than you, or because I use tougher putting settings. Neither of them would be fair to use as an argument that Im not allowed to enjoy things the way I am. You may be a big "complainer" about greens (to use your own words) but there are bigger ones, which includes 100% of PGA tour pros in real life whose gameplay I like to simulate.

Im trying to let the discussion end, but if you want replies to the individual points you make, feel free to send me a pm.

(And for the third time, Im fine with the Links version being this way.)
It was not a criticism, but honest curiosity. When I think of evil greens I think for instance at Chapultepec which is completely without hope in challenging settings. Probably because it was created before the challenging stuff was introduced, as I was often reminded. I am used to big disappointments on many greens and simply because this time I was not, i got puzzled to see a certain thread (you were not alone in any case). That's all. We all enjoy and don't enjoy certain elements, no problems there. I hate sloped greens with cup placed downhill for instance and those prompt me to distribute generous wishes of bouts with diarrhea. And I cannot even conceive why someone assigns pin placements where greens have a steep change of pitch. That is non-sense to me. But I was just asking a simple question here as I thought that green was less evil than a long list I have compiled over the months. Sorry if I did not explain myself properly.
MrT

Post by MrT »

gene_golf wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:25 pm I would be interested in seeing comments from those that have played in windy conditions. My guess with shots coming out of deep rough with lower ball flight that wind might not be a factor, but intend to check out myself. Some courses have deep rough where hitting fairway woods has them only traveling a short distance, so phrase mostly used was to chop out or wedge out to fairway. This course allows fairway woods and for shots out of deep rough they roll and roll unless greenside sand trap or rough stops them with added thought to aim away from rolling into water hazard that may not be able to carry over it. Shots from deep rough landing on green usually roll over the green. I believe the idea of intermediate rough for this course was an excellent thought.
I tried that a bit... The wind, if properly compensated was not a huge factor for me. in M/Fc I thought that the greens were not particularly fast. Given the earlier messages on this discussion I was expecting hockey rinks. I still prefer this course in gusty conditions (I never play below gusty). Hitting from rough (I use Champ setting) was not a big deal. I did not go in heavy rough, but in one instance, so I cannot say much.I hit hard and the ball rolled in the proximity of the green. In M/Fc, when I hit the greens, to my surprise, unless I hit a sloped section of the green, I did not see any formidable rolling. I surely have seen much worse, things that no human being should ever see even. I stared evil greens in the face, but not here.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'll try again.
Ben Jammin

Post by Ben Jammin »

I enjoyed the course and thought greens not so extreme. Played mc/mc but don't think it would be so bad on faster settings. Beautiful course!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Glenn-I sent you a PM.
Jim