Victoria National Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Ian Wells

Re: Victoria National Beta

Post by Ian Wells »

9th?????? after my blood sweat and tears? :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
(I can only assume that Wade Hampton, Pasatiempo, Peachtree and Sweetlake are at 1,2,3 and 4?) :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Seriously, I thank you for those kind words. :tiphat:
wonderful work by both Tom Fazio
You are 100% correct. Mr Fazio created this course from nothing, an abandoned coal mine, all I had to do was copy his wonderful creation.
I am so happy that pmgolf brought up this course
Hear, hear to that :cheers1:

Thank you, Adelade

Pete (pmgolf)
Wonderful job on the course
Thank you for that, but as stated above you were a major part in this course coming to life. Thank you for that.

Kunkleman,

Thank you. I hope you enjoy playing it.

Ian
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ian-this is the shortest nitpick that I've done so far (but I did find a few things). This course is truly a "hidden gem", as in after a while a coal mine becomes a diamond mine! :rofl:
To put it another way, it's Jasper Park on steroids!

Anyway, check your PM's tomorrow! :thumbup:
Last edited by Jimbo on May 16th, 2022, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

At the risk of repeating some of the previous comments made, here is my 2 cents. Wow ! To start, this HAS to be one of Tom Fazio's finest layouts in my opinion. Low, rolling hills, some open grassy areas, yet many nice wooded sections along the way. The course winds naturally along a river, some ponds and and the views are awesome ! I was almost "nervous" as I got set for my tee shot on the par 3 5th hole. ( Right club ? Watch out for the water, etc.) ( and this is only a simulation !! ). And the view off the blue tee on hole 14 is nothing less than gorgeous.

And, as for Ian's rendering of this course? Absolutely outstanding ! The planting is beautifully done. The 3D work on the bridges, the clubhouse, (and what I assume to be an Inn on the grounds) , are superbly done as well. As you play the course, and notice it's elevation changes and vistas around almost every turn , it seems very natural. However.....the only "issue" I have is that the fairways look a bit too green and bright, and the texture sort of makes it look a tad "artificial". But then again, Ian, I mentioned the same thing about Pasatiempo when it came out ( so this shouldn't come as any surprise from me ). It is, of course, my opinion and may or may not be shared by others.

Overall, though, this is an absolutely superb creation on the APCD, and definitely one of the BEST in my permanent collection. Thanks so much to both you and pmgolf for bringing it to fruition ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ron
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

I have to echo Wheeler's praise. Wonderful rendition. I followed along with the fly-overs on their site and it was uncanny how much it looks like the real thing. Bravo. I would disagree with Wheeler on the texture colors. I like them. There is a rendition of the course in TW08 which is pretty good but nowhere near as good as this. I found no mistakes so far. If I had a wish, it would be for some crowds. It has hosted a Korn Ferry Tour Tournament for a while and now the Korn Ferry Tour Championship for 10 years. People that don't like crowds could always turn them off but I know it's a lot of extra work. Either way, a great addition to the Links library along with your other courses. Thanks for making it.
Chuck
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Tournament edition - with crowds(as said there's always the option) to turn them off..+1... :clapping:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I've sent him my nitpicks but I must day that I agree about this being one of the best pieces of APCD work ever.
In doing my APCD'ing I discovered that Victoria National is part of a group of courses controlled by a company called the Domie Network with reciprocal courses in Nebraska, Texas and New York among others (just thought I'd mention it :whistle: ). All are 7,000 yards, give or take.
Victoria National also employs some interesting technology.
Last edited by Jimbo on May 16th, 2022, 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Korn Ferry Tour Championship at Victoria National was supposed to go there through 2028, but that may see change. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/v ... ar-AAWv4bo
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Hey Jimbo......not to "nitpick" or anything.....but it's 'Dormie Network'....instead of Domie . https://www.dormienetwork.com

Weeler
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Damn spellchek!
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Ron
I am very pleased that you find the course so appealing.
the fairways look a bit too green and bright, and the texture sort of makes it look a tad "artificial"
I change my mind on the colours of each course I do several times during the build. Perhaps I was in a bright happy mood when I decided the final texture colour? I know I enjoyed building both this course and Pasatiempo. If there are more comments regarding the fairway colour I will consider reducing the brightness for the final issue. No promises.

Thank you for your comments.

Chuck
I followed along with the fly-overs on their site and it was uncanny how much it looks like the real thing.
Thank you. It was the fly-overs that persuaded me to build this course. Normally I only have still photographs to work from. I am very pleased that you found this rendition true-ish to the fly-over. It makes the many hours spent achieving it much more gratifying.
If I had a wish, it would be for some crowds.
I added a crowd on the balcony of the clubhouse :laugh:
I have never added tournament objects or people to any course I have rendered. This is mainly because the few times I play, I never show tournament objects, with the obvious exception of TPC of Scotsdale.
I will think about adding some people before the final issue, but I think the grandstands around the 18th may be too much. No promises.

morvio100
Tournament edition - with crowds(as said there's always the option) to turn them off..+1...
Turning them off is the easy part, building them is not so easy. :laugh:
There are standard 3D grandstands in the 2001 library, but they will not represent the stands used for the Korn Ferry tournament.

Jimbo

Ron said:
but it's 'Dormie Network'....instead of Domie
The nitpicker-in-chief nit picked - priceless. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ian