Wakonda Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

Re: Wakonda Club

Post by Jimbo »

That's onehelluva nice job. I especially like courses where you that include surrounding houses (at least where they exist in the real world). :clapping: .
Only one suggestion-and one that all s=designers might want to keep in their back pocket. When you're planting trees be sure to include some tall grass to cover the bare spot where the tree "enters" the ground. It takes away the "nakedness"" of the planting.
Just a thought from somebody who's a "tried and failed" designer....but who loves the "Real" courses!
Anyway there's my two cents (Canadian).
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: March 27th, 2020, 6:19 am That's onehelluva nice job. I especially like courses where you that include surrounding houses (at least where they exist in the real world). :clapping: .
Only one suggestion-and one that all s=designers might want to keep in their back pocket. When you're planting trees be sure to include some tall grass to cover the bare spot where the tree "enters" the ground. It takes away the "nakedness"" of the planting.
Just a thought from somebody who's a "tried and failed" designer....but who loves the "Real" courses!
Anyway there's my two cents (Canadian).
Thank Jimbo. Glad you like Wakonda.

Thanks for the suggestion about the grass at the base of the trees. I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, that task is not as simple as you may think. I'll try to explain why.

A tree is a 2D object. When you place it on the ground, it sits there like a photograph. When you are in Links, or the APCD and viewing that tree, it looks the same no matter what direction you look at it from. In other words, it always rotates directly toward you. The rotation always takes place on an axis point that is dead center of the picture. Using a stop sign as an example, think of looking straight down on top of it, and then rotating it. The post will always stay in the exact same point in the center of the sign, no matter which way the sign faces. This is never the same with trees. Very few trees have the trunks dead center of the branches and leaves. So the problem is, the tree trunk never stays dead center of the picture as it rotates. I could be on the north side of the tree and plant weeds over the base of the trunk, but then when I walk around and look at it from the south side, the trunk moved to the opposite side several feet... We would have to literally plant grass over the top of the trunk from at least 8 different viewing angle in an attempt to hide the trunk from view in a 360° circle. And, depending on the offset distance the trunk is from the center of the picture, we might end up with a 10 foot wide patch of brush. :laugh:

Coincidentally, that was what I did at the National GC of Kansas City. If there were any trees near a green, or other places where you would get close to during play, I did in fact clover the trunks. Go take a stroll around it and look around near the greens and you will find them. You won't have to look long. The first one that comes into play is on the left side of the dogleg on the first tee. Another one is on the left of the par 3, 4th green. Look how big some of those weed patches are and then you will understand why we don't do it to all trees.

If a designer wanted to make them ALL look covered, he would have to photo-shop the weeds onto the tree trunk of the 2D object before he added it to his planting set. There are a few random trees scattered about that are already like that, but not many.

Thanks again,

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

What would happen if you planted a tree in some kind of taller rough, Dan? I'm not saying do that for all trees, but the thought occurred to me concerning hiding the base of the tree.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:57 am What would happen if you planted a tree in some kind of taller rough, Dan? I'm not saying do that for all trees, but the thought occurred to me concerning hiding the base of the tree.

Pete
Sure Pete, you can plant trees in tall planted grasses when its used as ground cover. (When I speak of "grass", I mean 2D planted grass, NOT texture grass) But if the grassy areas are too thick, a bug in the APCD shows its ugly face in the form of odd shaped square tree shadows, instead of normal tree shadows. It mostly depends on how thick the grasses are and what kind you plant. It takes some experimenting on your part to get it right.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I wish I had the patience and self-control to use APCD.
As I've told Sage if anybody likes the amazingly udder-rated course north of the border I'm more than willing to provide a pantload of "raw material".
Right Sage? :cheers1:

Speaking of which I may have misspoken earlier. In the unlikely event that the LPGA tour resumes this year the CP Women's event will be at Shaughnessy near UBC as opposed to -the equally beautiful (perhaps a bit more rustic) Capilano on the north shore.

Although there are much more important things at the Moment.