Do You Want a "Tournament Edition" of Coeur D'Alene?

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.

Do You Want a "Tournament Edition" of Coeur d'Alene?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 23

Danny D

Do You Want a "Tournament Edition" of Coeur D'Alene?

Post by Danny D »

After everyone has had time to play Coeur d'Alene, I would like to get a vote on making a more difficult "tournament" version. I will do so by making what I will call a "fantasy" version. Meaning changes will be made of my own ideas and creations, and not in tradition with the actual course. For example new tee boxes will be created in areas where I can make them fit. My goal will be to make the course play longer and to do a few other things to add more of a challenge for tournament play. I will be creating a few polls along the way asking for your opinions. Please join in and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your participation, :tiphat:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Re: Do You Want a "Tournament Edition" of Coeur D'Alene?

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I think that's a good idea if you feel up to it. Mostly, it would benefit from being a bit longer, to at least 7,000 yds; that averages out to another 30 yds per hole, maybe not enough room to move tee boxes back that far. One question: on a few holes there's some sort of low, thick growth. What is that vegetation exactly? I think my ball bounced off it the only time I hit it. Some kind of hedge?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: โ†‘December 29th, 2021, 6:42 am I think that's a good idea if you feel up to it. Mostly, it would benefit from being a bit longer, to at least 7,000 yds; that averages out to another 30 yds per hole, maybe not enough room to move tee boxes back that far. One question: on a few holes there's some sort of low, thick growth. What is that vegetation exactly? I think my ball bounced off it the only time I hit it. Some kind of hedge?
Did you read my notes in the DOC files about the "Juniper Bushes"? Perhaps that's what you are talking about. If not, you can do a screen capture of the area you are talking about.

Thanks for your input. :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

OK, now I understand, and I can appreciate the difficulty of reproducing all that stuff. At the house I used to have, I planted a lot of juniper in the front yard, various types, about 6 feet apart, having been advised they'd grow to have a diameter of 4 feet or so. That was in 1996. 25 years later, they're a solid wall about eight feet tall (because the lazy dolt who bought the house in 2003 never did a lick of gardening in his entire life).

Attachments
Junipers.jpg
Junipers.jpg (805.37 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Last edited by FOOOOORE! on January 1st, 2022, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I agree that a tournament version can "fix" the yardage at #14 and enhance the junipers-see my nit pick.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: โ†‘December 29th, 2021, 9:03 am I agree that a tournament version can "fix" the yardage at #14 and enhance the junipers-see my nit pick.
Hiya Jimbo!
Thanks for the nice "nit pick" review. :smile:

I did a lot of research on the 14th tee boxes, and the way I have them configured is correct. Their new scorecard shows the yardage at 218 from the back tee. They achieve that yardage by moving the green as far back as it will go.

The green behind the 9th green is a practice green. (see photo) I also think they use it as a temporary tournament green to make hole 9 longer in tournaments, but I'm not sure. That will be my plan for it in the tournament version. That hole will then play to about 630 yards. I will also move the 14th green back to make it play 218 yards. I'm not real sure what you have in mind about the junipers. Can you go into more detail, or show me an example?

Thanks,

Dan
Attachments
practice.jpg
practice.jpg (989.55 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Completed Courses
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'll post my juniper pictures when I get home...but your picture makes me feel all warm!๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'll post my juniper pictures when I get home...but your picture makes me feel all warm!๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„
dpang2836

Post by dpang2836 »

I have been in those Bushes many times! :oops:
dpang2836

Post by dpang2836 »

Dan is also right on the Yardage #14! "The Floating Green" is on a Cable, so can be moved in or out. Same with the Boat that takes you out and back, being on a Cable. Beautiful Place and Town! Can't wait till April, so I think I will sneak down and play a Round! Happy New Year Everyone, Dana :thumbup: